SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-07-19, 07:23 PM   #21
NeilfromPeel

Default Re: Riding an SV

Yep, good point, I’ll do that, it sounds much easier. I didn’t pay much for the bike so I must resist the temptation to polish it up with gadgets, but it may be tricky.
NeilfromPeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 08:03 PM   #22
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilfromPeel View Post
Yep, good point, I’ll do that, it sounds much easier. I didn’t pay much for the bike so I must resist the temptation to polish it up with gadgets, but it may be tricky.

With cheaper bikes I think it is a good idea to keep things in perspective.

You could lower the gearing by about 7% by swapping the front sprocket, that would cost a tenner and you could certainly re-fit the old chain. It is an easy job you could do yourself in an hour or so and then ride it around for a while to make sure you have it right. It would be a neat solution for very little investment or risk.

The SV is a good bike to improve a bit without spending a fortune. The bikes are built down to a cost at the lower end of the sports bike market, because of that Suzuki has made about 100 million of them, so parts (new and used) are cheap and readily available, there are lots of aftermarket bits around and lots of parts from more expensive bikes can be made to fit with a bit of fettling.

I’ve enjoyed making my K6 project (bought for £600) into quite a nice sports bike for a few hundred pounds worth of subtle improvements. SVs are pretty and cheap simple bikes to fix and modify, so enjoy your new project.

It is up to you what you spend your money on, but I’d suggest you don’t get carried away fitting expensive aftermarket suspension and exhausts when the original parts are fine as long as they are set up and maintained properly.

Good fortune.

A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-19, 09:13 AM   #23
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
You could lower the gearing by about 7% by swapping the front sprocket, that would cost a tenner and you could certainly re-fit the old chain. It is an easy job you could do yourself in an hour or so and then ride it around for a while to make sure you have it right. It would be a neat solution for very little investment or risk.
There is advice on this forum not to reduce front sprocket as the chain can start chewing the swing-arm, far safe to go up on the rear sprocket ( unless the bolts are seized ).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 09:30 AM   #24
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
There is advice on this forum not to reduce front sprocket as the chain can start chewing the swing-arm, far safe to go up on the rear sprocket ( unless the bolts are seized ).
That is what I believe from previous forum posts.Why put a strain on the smaller sprocket which could lead to premature galling.

On a side note my 1999 Curvy has the Front Sprocket Teeth: 15/ Rear Sprocket Teeth: 44

I'm sure it can still do 0 to 60 in under 4 seconds so does the OP really need to change the originals?
Old 05-07-19, 01:58 PM   #25
Scittyf

Depends what you want? If you want B line hooning or motorway.

When I used to commute I'd go up a tooth on the front. This was on a cb500. It would be slower off the mark but in terms of motorway work it was far more useable even though getting it past 80mph took a bit of time. It just meant it wasn't as high in the revs so it felt more comfortable.
It also helps with increasing mpg gaining another couple.
Scittyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 01:58 PM   #26
aesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scittyf View Post
Will one tooth on the rear really make that much difference?
No. My previous bike had 15/45 which is normal for unfaired. When I changed the chain and sprockets I went back to the standard and strictly correct 15/44. I can't say it changed the feel of the bike in any way, the difference was only noticeable by checking the rev counter at speed. Even then it's a small difference, for example 4,400 rpm instead of 4,500 rpm at the same speed.

Incidentally my current bike which is also faired has 15/45 and I'm pretty sure that's the original as the bike had only done 4,000 miles when I bought it. So it looks as if Suzuki may have standardised on 15/45 for later production.

Aside from that, is your bike faired? If so then I'd suggest riding it for a bit before thinking about raising the bars. When I first rode mine I used to really feel it, but I got used to it pretty quickly.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 02:48 PM   #27
SV650rules
Mega Poster

The naked Gladius and my AL7 have standard 15/47 setup. Makes bike pretty quick ( 3.3 sec to 60 ) and less fussy about what gear you are in, still get remarkably good MPG, but my bike is an A and B road creature, never been on motorway yet, and not likely to.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 06:53 PM   #28
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post

That appears to be bogus.

I have no view on this though, if people want to take a more expensive way of altering their gear ratio (should they want to) then it is entirely their own business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-19, 07:43 PM   #29
shiftin_gear98

Mine is as it came ratio as wise. And I've basically ridden it like I stole it (helpful advice from the mechanic that last serviced it) , for the last 3 years. I find it more fun that way. As already said mine is stock ratio, its plenty quick enough to get you in trouble and on a motorway enough to do nearly twice the limit. I'm not sure why you'd want or need to change it.
However it's your bike. Enjoy fettling. Just remember we like a picture or 10.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 09:14 PM   #30
NeilfromPeel

Good advice from all fellas. And possibly gals who knows.

I kinda wanted to get a classic airhead to fettle but ended up with the SV I’m not regretting it.

I think I will change the bars as I already bought the kit, and I intend to go naked I despise the fairings and twin lights... purely aesthetic reasons

Maybe leave sprockets and ride it like I stole it, I have plenty if bikes and I’ve raced short circuit for a few seasons in my time and certainly this bike is enough as stock to get anyone into trouble

I really want to make it look cool, well cooler, I’ll provide photo evidence damning or otherwise
NeilfromPeel is offline   Reply With Quote