SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-07-19, 04:15 PM   #11
Thaleshwar

Default Re: Painting Exhaust - Silencer Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by punyXpress View Post
In a word:
Barbecue Paint
2 words really, but who's counting?
Hi, I have picked up Halfords High Temperature Metallic Black for under £8.00; it claims to sustain temperature upto 500C.
Thaleshwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 04:21 PM   #12
Thaleshwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by punyXpress View Post
? It's already black ?
I feel more like graphite it is.
Old 05-07-19, 07:25 PM   #13
Thaleshwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
We'll talk about your searching abilities later

Painting a muffler with VHT paint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8G3IIQzWN8

Painting an expansion chamber (which is header and silencer) using a paint brush and Rustoleum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN5CZ827j1c

and Delboy's garage longer video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIEzjirqHuc

(he takes it seriously and uses a paint mask)
Hi, really found 1st and 3rd video very informative, many thanks for bringing to my notice, it is very helpful. Thanks again.
Old 05-07-19, 07:30 PM   #14
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaleshwar View Post
Hi, mine is not chrome / Titanium it’s Remus GP and painted / coated matte black (rather graphite) so I will be painting that over. 😊
If I can do this with a,"Rattle Can" you can do a good job on an exhaust

Old 05-07-19, 08:01 PM   #15
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post

That is a really good finish with rattle cans - well done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-19, 08:04 PM   #16
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Hi, I have picked up Halfords High Temperature Metallic Black for under £8.00; it claims to sustain temperature upto 500C.
I've used Halford's VHT.It's decent paint

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 05-07-19 at 08:05 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 08:34 PM   #17
Thaleshwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post

Oh my God! That’s truly a excellent job! Thanks for inspiring me and giving me the encouragement! Thank you!
Old 07-07-19, 08:05 PM   #18
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Have used Simoniz very high temperature paint on all the pipes and CAT under my AL7 because I thought it looked better with the pipes blended into frame colour rather than shiny and standing out. Also painted the silver heat shield on the black silencer because that offended my eyes ( although heat shield does not get hot ). The paint has stood up well, it is a satin finish at her than gloss, and is guaranteed up to 800C and is specified for manifolds and exhausts..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-19, 09:17 AM   #19
Thaleshwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Have used Simoniz very high temperature paint on all the pipes and CAT under my AL7 because I thought it looked better with the pipes blended into frame colour rather than shiny and standing out. Also painted the silver heat shield on the black silencer because that offended my eyes ( although heat shield does not get hot ). The paint has stood up well, it is a satin finish at her than gloss, and is guaranteed up to 800C and is specified for manifolds and exhausts..
I was attracted to buy Halfords paint as it said ‘Metallic Black’ not black or jet black and as I intended to use on actual exhaust instead on pipes.

However my other problem is curing it; as I mentioned in opening messages I have bought the exhaust over eBay and it’s not fitted, so wanted to paint before fitting, but then how will I cure? So thinking to use heat gun and blow the hot air through, or chop the original exhaust, loose fit this one, remove, paint and do the final fitting.

Last edited by Thaleshwar; 08-07-19 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-07-19, 09:33 AM   #20
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
I was attracted to buy Halfords paint as it said ‘Metallic Black’ not black or jet black and as I intended to use on actual exhaust instead on pipes.

However my other problem is curing it; as I mentioned in opening messages I have bought the exhaust over eBay and it’s not fitted, so wanted to paint before fitting, but then how will I cure? So thinking to use heat gun and blow the hot air through, or chop the original exhaust, loose fit this one, remove, paint and do the final fitting.
You shouldn't need to,"Cure" it but all paints benefit from temperatures above 15 Deg C.

What I do when doing off bike bits is this.Fully prep and clean the part.Attach some wire or similar system so you don't have to pick the part up with your hands or if you can't do that a pair of Marigold type Kitchen gloves to prevent fingermarks on the job.

If possible have a warm room ready where you can hang/leave the painted job.

Warm the part up with a Hairdryer and whilst doing that leave the Rattle can in a large pan of warm to hot water and keep agitating the Can to the heat gets to all the paint in the can.

Then just prior to spraying use a Tac-Rag

https://www.toolstation.com/prodec-t...SABEgLZyvD_BwE

Don't try and cover in one coat.Use a light Dust/Grip coat all over the job and leave for 5 mins.Then a better heavier coat but again not too heavy and leave for 5 mins and then a final coat.

If you can't bring the part into the house but have a garage or somewhere you can hang it up and use the Hairdryer again but only in short bursts from a distance.The solvents in the paint need to,"Flash-off".The longer you can leave the part in the warm to naturally cure the better.