SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 31-07-06, 12:21 AM   #1
Demonz

Default More Cornwall and Devon Pics Anyone...?

Some pics and a ramble from the weekend down and around the coast (sorry no Dolomites - those are for later in the month :P ).

A break in the weather - time to get the camera out! Newquay on Saturday afternoon.

Better get going to beat those clouds coming in (look at the state of those cans - poor thing)

And what do you know - get everything up in torrential rain - and the sun comes out. Bideford.

Some nice pics of the sunset in Bideford.

Red sky means suns going to be out tomorrow.

Next morning pics up in Exmoor looking back to Lynton. This was a highlight for me as I didnt think places like this existed anymore in the UK - I was expecting this in Cornwall...

Here's some Notes on the Route - 750 miles
Friday night 6.30pm was a run down the A30 with Stu369 to Exeter. For the holiday weekend I was surprised to see little traffic on the road all the way through. Thanks Rictus - the A30 was great all the way!

We got into Exeter around 9.30pm where Stu carried on Sth to his folks place and I headed North up the A30 around the back of Exeter in search of a camp ground. As luck would have it a place was still open as the landlord was waiting for someone that broke down - Springfield Holiday Park in Tedburn - you will see the camping signs off the A30 and follow your nose until you get there. Had to go hungry that night though as nothing was open anywhere.

Saturday was grim looking from the start - the clouds were closing in fast from the west. The plan was to ride across Dartmoor NP and get back onto the A30 somewhere onto Lands End. After cutting back through country lanes and getting directions back to civilised roads from an old bloke walking his dog who happened to also ride a Norton (but not in this weather) - he advised a route through the B3212 and turn right to Tiverton. Moretonhamstead is a good stop for breaky and to listen to Rona, Birggy and Paul from London planning their next country real estate purchase and Rona's upcoming motorcycle journey around Sth America Watch out for Jaffa the cafe dog - he'll eat your toast when you arent looking.

Over the moors I didn't see much - the weather visibility was about 50 yds so it was a slow journey. I did discover Britain's most expensive fuel £1.04 ltr somewhere in the middle of the moors. I thought best to stop rather than have to push though there.

The A390 to the A30 lead me through Britains most congested holiday traffic - bumper to bumper caravans - and yet more rain. It was also the road to christen me and my bike shiny side down on the tarmac. Whilst filtering some young fellow decided to do a U turn side into side which caught my leg and left bung - ended with a scuffed RH bung and dented pride - amazingly no damage thanks also to the panniers. Onwards and upwards and could of been worse etc - lessen for the day - filtering slowly helps minimise damage .

Onwards to Lands End in the rain down the A30. I think the Germans on their bikes were as disappointed as I was - more rain and wind - so a quick coffee and then a run up to St Ives (nice beach) and onto Newquay (Incidentally I met a guy today that mentioned the B3306 from St Just to St Ives is a cracker).

I wasn't hanging about in Newquay as it was mayhem with holiday makers so I hit the A39 through to Bideford and which point it started hurtling rain in those really big rain drops you just need to stop - so I found a camp ground and pitched up here. Just when it was all pitched and everything was soaked sods law says the sun will come out - and sure enough it did.

An early start Sunday morning was the best riding of the weekend. The A39 really is a cracker and my favourite was definitely from Barnstaple to Lynton in Exmoor NP. Lynton is a georgous little town so a visit back at the end of summer is on the cards. Following on from here runs over to Minehead. I picked up the A396 to Tiverton and then onto Taunton, Glastonbury and Bath. I should have headed south but decided to stick on the A4 to Chippenham - yawn - big mistake and avoid this stretch of road as it was 30/40/50 mph all the way. Into Marlbourough was good and then I picked up a nice road back towards Salisbury and then onwards up the A303/A30.

The day finished avoiding traffic on the A30 with the M3 closing down due to an accident... ah welcome home.. lucky i knew the back roads from here - happy days :P. A nice weekend from London which would've been easier if Saturdays weather was better.
Old 31-07-06, 07:46 AM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: More Cornwall and Devon Pics Anyone...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmonsta
Friday night 6.30pm was a run down the A30 with Stu369 to Exeter. For the holiday weekend I was surprised to see little traffic on the road all the way through. Thanks Rictus - the A30 was great all the way!
I thought I recognised that SV... Liz and I saw you and stu as you headed through Sailsbury on Friday evening.

We werent on bikes we were in a van delivering Liz's other SV to its new owner.

The A39 around Lynton / Lynmouth is my favourite bit of road.

Sorry about the weather and getting knocked off. Hope it didnt spoil your weekend to much

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-06, 07:56 AM   #3
Tara

Looks great
Old 31-07-06, 08:16 AM   #4
mattSV
Mega Poster

Nice pics - a couple of them look very familiar

Shame the weather wasn't as good as we had, but sounds like you enjoyed it anyway
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-06, 09:06 AM   #5
kwak zzr

The A39 around Lynton / Lynmouth is my favourite bit of road.

me too! great!
Old 31-07-06, 10:35 AM   #6
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Great write up Gmonsta.
Real shame the weather on Saturday, was thinking about you after my good sleep in a nice bed! waking up to rain. We went out for a walk and got soaked. At least Sunday was good.
Was looking out for a yellow irridium visor glowering back at me on the ride out through your country Fizz, but didn't see you! small world.
Home (well at work) safe myself no incidents - hope you're OK Gmonsta after your little off.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-06, 10:41 AM   #7
the white rabbit

Exmoor is a beautiful place.
Old 31-07-06, 10:49 AM   #8
Demonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel
I thought I recognised that SV... Liz and I saw you and stu as you headed through Sailsbury on Friday evening.
You werent the random tooters were you?? was thinking I didnt cut anyone up and a horn was beeping .
Old 31-07-06, 10:55 AM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmonsta
You werent the random tooters were you?? was thinking I didnt cut anyone up and a horn was beeping .
Nah we were going in the opposite Direction. You'd just gone round the last big Roundabout in Sailsbury and were heading towards Wilton when we saw you.

Stu - I had a new back tyre on Saturday morning. No way was I going out in that rain to scrub it in. So the bike sat in the garage all weekend.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-06, 10:56 AM   #10
Demonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu369
Real shame the weather on Saturday, was thinking about you after my good sleep in a nice bed! waking up to rain. We went out for a walk and got soaked. At least Sunday was good.
Yeah it was all good - got to test my kit, riding skills and the likes. Need to get some Gortex gloves and a decent rain proof coat - although the £15 jobby from Millets didnt leak it flapped endlessly letting in a little water down the collar. Also the rain covers on Oxford panniers are rubbish - they both popped to shreds so all clothes eventually got soaked. I think the plastic bagging everything inside is a better option - well the only option now other than replacing with a rear seat bag. Cornering was an effort and filtering a pain with panniers.