SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-03-11, 07:43 AM   #1
Kenzie

Default Cleaning, tyre and underseat stores?

Well I have a few questions floating around in my head so I thought i would put them in one thread instead of a few!

1) What's the best cleaning product for making the bike shiny and keeping it front rusting? Is waxing or polishing the best way to go, and what is ACF50 like?

2) What do you guys normally keep under your seats? Disc lock, puncture repair kit, cargo net, food?

3) Are the standard tyres any good? Mine have the factory ones on I beleive that have planty of meat on, but wonder what is good when up for renewal, plus is it best to swap as a matched pair?

If I think of anything else I'll add it. I've not had my own bike for a few years now and need to get back on track!
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-11, 07:51 AM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: So many questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
Well I have a few questions floating around in my head so I thought i would put them in one thread instead of a few!

1) What's the best cleaning product for making the bike shiny and keeping it front rusting? Is waxing or polishing the best way to go, and what is ACF50 like?

2) What do you guys normally keep under your seats? Disc lock, puncture repair kit, cargo net, food?

3) Are the standard tyres any good? Mine have the factory ones on I beleive that have planty of meat on, but wonder what is good when up for renewal, plus is it best to swap as a matched pair?

If I think of anything else I'll add it. I've not had my own bike for a few years now and need to get back on track!
1) For completely effortless cleaning, I find the Polish guys that handwash cars at the side of the road at a fiver, is good value for money - dont know if thats what you meant by Polishing tho...

2) Puncture Repair, (Sticky String kit) Cargo Net.

3) Some will say they are rubbish and will kill you, me, I left mine on until worn then replaces with some Sports/Touring ones, so PilotRoads, StormUltras or RoadSmarts are all about the same price and are all good - had them all.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-11, 07:59 AM   #3
Kenzie

Default Re: So many questions!

Lol, that's Polish-ing isn't it? Oh yeah, that's the other question. Have any of you named your bike?

Last edited by Kenzie; 12-03-11 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-03-11, 10:19 AM   #4
speedplay

Default Re: Cleaning, tyre and underseat stores?

I'm with SK on the tyres.
I got on ok with mine, there are better tyres out there but the stock ones are ok till you need new ones.
A company cant stock a tyre on a production bike that everyone will love, so middle of the road is the safest option for them.

Under my seat is a can of air repair, a spare cold killer and the straps for my kriega tail pack.

As for cleaning, I just wipe mine over with a super hard resin polish every now and again, but my bike only gets used if its nice out anyway
Old 12-03-11, 04:20 PM   #5
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

With SK with the tires, there is a lot better on the market.

Cleaning DIY; autoglym, 2 cloths for cleaning (bodywork and motor), WD40 for the heavy layer of crap. Lazy do as SK suggested; don't just a jet wash as you will regret it.

Rust protection ACF50 is the best on the market.

Under the seat; ruddy big chain, tail bag roadside kit £10 gets a ok basic one £25 will get you a decent roadside one (triumphs always looked ok for the price). Puncture repair is an RAC card

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-11, 02:02 PM   #6
Gordon72

I have to say that i think the standard tyres are pants, but i was coming from sports bikes with sticky tyres.
I think it depends on what you have ridden on before and how you ride.If you are happy with the tyres then keep them till they wear out, if not change them, only you can decide.
However when you do come to change then there are better tyres on the market.
Under the seat, Disc lock, toolkit, sidestand puck, and a visor cleaner.
Old 13-03-11, 08:37 PM   #7
aaron020873

i don't keep anything under my seat because i have never even thought of putting anything there! but a good cleaning tip i have for getting the oil and crud off your back wheel that is flung from the chain is to use mr sheen furniture polish, just spray on and wipe off, it works a treat!
Old 13-03-11, 08:47 PM   #8
Jordy

To wash it I get rid of all the stubborn crap around the chain/engine with wd40/degreaser and a brush, I then use autoglym bike cleaner which i spray on leave for a few mins then rinse with a hose, then I wash it with a bucket/sponge and some half decent car shampoo/wax. rinse again then chamois wipe and once dry use autoglym super resin polish to finish on the panels/tank. ACF50 is meant to be great but never used it myself, muc off motorcycle protectant is good that's what I use sometimes, just spray it on.

Under my seat I have the standard tin foil tool kit and my scotoiler, spare spark plugs under my main seat in a little slot almost made for it.

The tyres personally I would keep them on provided they're in good condtion, keep them upto pressure though 33f/36r.
Old 14-03-11, 02:16 AM   #9
Drumming_Animal

Washed at least once a week, if not more, depending on time of year/weather. I'll take bits off, degrease thoroughly, rinse off degreaser and soak bike with hose, getting off loose dirt and being mindful of pressures on radiator and electronics. Then gets a good going over with bucket and sponge. One sponge for "clean bits" like tank, fairings, frame, etc. Another sponge for "dirty bits" round engine, wheels, exhaust, etc. Then rinse off again. Chamois Leather dry then perfect drying with microfibre. Then polish and wax. Put back together. Short ride. Lube chain. Sometimes jacket, boots, helmet, etc gets a light going over with bucket and sponge too.

As for tyres, I'm running Michelin Pilot Power 2CT. Lovely tyres that havnt failed me yet

Under the seat is a visor cleaning kit and one of those little thingys to pop under the side stand to stop it sinking in soft ground. Don't know how I would live without my visor kit. Keep meaning to put a puncture repair kit under there though.
Old 15-03-11, 09:13 PM   #10
Kenzie

Can anyone offer any advice as to how to keep my front downpipe shiny?