SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-01-08, 02:52 PM   #1
Speedy Claire

Default X Box Live Help Needed

My son has bought an x box live wireless adaptor and paid the subscription to x box live. Our main pc is downstairs and has a wireless connection, the x box is upstairs and doesn`t seem to be picking up a signal Anyone any ideas on what`s wrong or is there something else we need to buy.
Old 23-01-08, 02:54 PM   #2
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: X Box Live Help Needed

you need to configure your PC as a wireless access point and probably configure internet connection sharing if it connects via an ADSL modem.

might be easier to just get a wireless router/modem.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-08, 02:56 PM   #3
Pedro68

Claire, you have PM
Old 23-01-08, 02:58 PM   #4
Speedy Claire

Thanks guys... am shouting him as I type CHRIS!!!!!!
Old 23-01-08, 02:59 PM   #5
Speedy Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
you need to configure your PC as a wireless access point and probably configure internet connection sharing if it connects via an ADSL modem.

might be easier to just get a wireless router/modem.

Mike he says do you mean another wireless router/modem to go in his bedroom??? similar to the one I have for the PC??? he`s bought the wireless network adaptor for the x box
Old 23-01-08, 03:09 PM   #6
Pedro68

Claire/Chris you shouldn't need another wireless router ... just the one (which is presumably connected to the downstairs PC?). All you SHOULD need to connect the XBox (theoretically) to the wireless router, is a network key.

Who set the wireless router up?

Do you know if the XBox can "see" the wireless router?
Do you have the password to access the router (that's assuming security is ENABLED on the router)?

EDIT: something else to check, if you know how to do it, is to see if the wireless networks "SSID" is being broadcast ... if this is hidden then I don't think the XBox would see the wireless network.
Old 23-01-08, 03:09 PM   #7
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Hi Claire, it might be easier if you just list what you've got set up at the moment?

In theory all you need is one Wireless Router/Modem to run both your PC & Xbox off. Depending if your PC connects to the internet directly or via your Wireless Box, the XBOX needs to be pointed in the same direction if you like.

If you list what you've got I might be able to help a bit more!

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-08, 03:16 PM   #8
Speedy Claire

We have a wireless router which was set up by the local computer shop... that`s downstairs connected to the main PC. It`s security enabled and i think i can remember the password! He says tho that the wireless network adaptor he`s bought for the xbox isn`t picking up a signal from our broadband internet connection. All i`ve bought him is the network adaptor and the subscription.
Old 23-01-08, 03:24 PM   #9
Pedro68

Claire, what make of wireless router do you have?

By the sounds of it, if the local computer store has "enabled security" on it, there's a good chance that the wireless router will have been set to NOT broadcast it's ID (the "SSID"). If that's the case, and the XBox "scans" for wireless networks, your wireless network will not be "visible" to the XBox.

If you have a manual for the router, it should detail in there how to change/check this setting. But, you may well have an admin password set up on the router too (to prevent unauthorised changes to the routers settings), so that's yet another password you may need to know
Old 23-01-08, 03:29 PM   #10
Speedy Claire

will look for the manual Pete.. only got one password which i`ve forgotten but i`ll ring the computer shop.. they have a record of it