SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-08-08, 09:30 AM   #1
Baph

Default Riding without a clutch.

Well, I just thought I'd raise this controvesial subject again. Some people are very adverse to riding without a clutch (extra wear on gearbox being the prime concern).

Last night, I decided to have a little detour on the way home after work. About half way around my detour, the clutch popped. The next time I pulled the clutch level (as a test, not when it was needed), I had "flappy-clutch-lever" syndrome.

Pulled over at the side of the road, and purposefully stalled it, then put it in neutral. Called home to let the one who must be obeyed know what had happened, then got the toolkit out & gaffer taped the flapping end of the cable to the instrument panel.

Bike into neutral, engine running, push it along the road... droped into first gear & away we go.

The rest of the ride home (about 12miles of it, with a mix of traffic lights, roundabouts, junctions etc) was done pretty much as normal - except I was planning ahead to make sure I didn't have to stop.

Riding without the clutch (when you have one) may wear the gerabox quicker, but without that knowledge, I'd of been waiting for a breakdown recovery truck (and we all know they'd of sent the wrong truck as the bike would of needed a trailer). Instead of waiting 2hours for the right truck, I was home in 20mins.

Clutch cable is now ordered from Robinsons Foundry (thanks "Tim in Belgium" - your thread from May gave me the link), and I'll be fitting it as soon as it arrives.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained IMO.

(PS. Mods, wasn't sure about this threads location... feel free )
Old 30-08-08, 09:36 AM   #2
riktherider

Default Re: Riding without a clutch...

unlucky dude. reminds me of when i had to fashion a suicide clutch to the old motorcross bike when that cable snapped. luckily it was at the lever end, so i took off the outer sheathing and just made a loop at the end of the clutch cable, and voila, suicide clutch lever!was a tad dodgy but got me home!

Well done though, i would have got someone to go and buy me a clutch cable and be lasy!
Old 30-08-08, 09:40 AM   #3
Baph

Yea, mine snapped sort of at the lever end, only it was down inside the sheath. There's a good 8inch of cable still attached to the lever.

I did consider a suicide clutch though, and wondered if the string in the toolkit would be strong enough, but figured I'd just be wasting time & could ride without a clutch.
Old 30-08-08, 03:36 PM   #4
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Well done you for your quick thinking, I must say I will try and remember that incase it ever happens to me (hope it doesn't). .......... altho I have to ride first for that dont I LOL.

Woo hoo I bet her who obeys didn't expect you home so quick after the phone call LOL
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

RIP PC David Rathband sad day 29/2/2012
Shellywoozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-08, 03:55 PM   #5
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Whats a suicide clutch
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-08, 03:57 PM   #6
riktherider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Whats a suicide clutch
found on old school choppers, mainly indians i think. its a lever on the side of the bike as the clutch. "Suicide" because you have to take your hand off the bars and use it like a hand brake. very scary at times!!!
Old 30-08-08, 05:51 PM   #7
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Worth noting that on some bikes you can just start it already in first gear, so if you do need to stop at a set of lights roll to a halt in neutral, kill the engine, put it into first gear ignition on, then as the lights change stab the starter and it should start and pull away. Easier than trying to paddle up to a speed it can be dropped into first, and less likely to damage the gearbox. Unfortunately on a lot of new bikes the starter won't work if it's in gear.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-08, 05:58 PM   #8
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Worth noting that on some bikes you can just start it already in first gear, so if you do need to stop at a set of lights roll to a halt in neutral, kill the engine, put it into first gear ignition on, then as the lights change stab the starter and it should start and pull away. Easier than trying to paddle up to a speed it can be dropped into first, and less likely to damage the gearbox. Unfortunately on a lot of new bikes the starter won't work if it's in gear.
Couldn't you just pull the clutch lever in to activate the clutch switch
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-08, 09:54 PM   #9
thefallenangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Couldn't you just pull the clutch lever in to activate the clutch switch

Or just bypass it with a bit of tape and wire.
Old 30-08-08, 10:22 PM   #10
Nemo

When riding fast i never use the clutch and i honestly belive that if your timing is right it wont do much harm to the gear box!!!