SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 11-09-07, 05:04 PM   #1
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Biker killed on Steve Hislop memorial run

Quote:
A 38-YEAR-OLD Dundee motorcyclist has died while taking part in a memorial run for Borders motorcycle champion Steve Hislop.
http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2...10261565t0.asp

Last edited by DarrenSV650S; 11-09-07 at 05:41 PM.
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-07, 05:38 PM   #2
Tartan Terror

Default Re: Biker killed on Steve Hislop memorial run

My dad's in Lothian and Borders fire brigade and got a call about this the other day. Apparently he collided with a fire appliance which was on it's way to a job.

I feel sorry for his family - RIP fella.
Old 11-09-07, 07:27 PM   #3
SVTONYB

Amazing how rumours start Jimmy reported that the deceased had his wife with him as pillion and she was now critical in hospital and it was a car that was hit.
Old 12-09-07, 01:32 AM   #4
Tartan Terror

It was definately a fire appliance. It turns out my dad was in the car (off duty) but had his fire brigade radio on and heard the shout. The appliance was on its way to a job and changed it's status unexpectidly.

Apparently they phoned the control centre by mobile so that they wouldn't have to broadcast the not-too-pleasant details over the radio where anyone could be listening.

Not sure who's fault it was because if the appliance was going to a job then it would almost certainly have been bombing along the road.

I still feel aweful for the family - and the person that's had to break the news to them.

RIP mate
Old 12-09-07, 07:15 AM   #5
kitkat

few girls from the curvy bike site helped out. there was another bike accident and the fire appliance was either returning or hurrying to that.
Old 12-09-07, 07:41 AM   #6
G
Mega Poster

Its on pistonheads what happened.

There was a head on with a volvo at the start of the run towards the back of the 1000+ strong group of riders.....a fire appliance then had a head on with another rider from the same group at the front of the pack on its way to the first accident. Both were on left handlers apparently.

The first guy involved in the first accident is still critical so best wishes to those involved and hope he makes a speedy recovery.

This outlines the trouble with riding in big groups a) because people inevitably try to show off...b) because people try and ride beyond their abilities and over shoot corners into on coming traffic.

I'll be the first to admit I have been guilty of b) on group rides when i first started out, fortunately I overshot down a dirt track on the cat and fiddle and not into on coming car.

Last edited by G; 12-09-07 at 07:44 AM.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-07, 08:22 AM   #7
Bluewolf

Ah jeez

RIP fella.
Old 13-09-07, 09:01 AM   #8
Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemepaterson View Post
Its on pistonheads what happened.

There was a head on with a volvo at the start of the run towards the back of the 1000+ strong group of riders.............. Both were on left handlers apparently.

........ people try and ride beyond their abilities and over shoot corners into on coming traffic.
[spitting feathers mode]
Not very often I post here anymore but I do read it most days and this has me spitting feathers

Do you seriously believe that in a group of 1000+ riders there would be scope for the kind of nutter riding that you have assumed is the reason for this?

Have you seen a fire engine (or any HGV) take a right hand bend at high speed? Invariably the apex will be cut and that puts them in direct conflict with a bike on it's own side of the road.

The fracking assumption that because a left hand bend was involved it must be the riders fault is frankly getting annoying. I watched MrsPatch pretty well forced into a ditch by a lorry cutting a right hander into her path. Park up one day and watch a right hand bend and count how many cars cut the corner compared to how many bikes run wide. I think you will be amazed and realise that there is more than one way for this type of accident to happen
[/spitting feathers mode]

As for the accident what a terrible tragedy. RIP
Old 13-09-07, 12:07 PM   #9
scooby2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
[spitting feathers mode]
Not very often I post here anymore but I do read it most days and this has me spitting feathers

Do you seriously believe that in a group of 1000+ riders there would be scope for the kind of nutter riding that you have assumed is the reason for this?

Have you seen a fire engine (or any HGV) take a right hand bend at high speed? Invariably the apex will be cut and that puts them in direct conflict with a bike on it's own side of the road.

The fracking assumption that because a left hand bend was involved it must be the riders fault is frankly getting annoying. I watched MrsPatch pretty well forced into a ditch by a lorry cutting a right hander into her path. Park up one day and watch a right hand bend and count how many cars cut the corner compared to how many bikes run wide. I think you will be amazed and realise that there is more than one way for this type of accident to happen
[/spitting feathers mode]

with patch totally on this one

its amazing the conclusions that are arrived at by a single post (that has turned out to be totally innacurate on a number of counts) by peeps that never witnessed the accident, thats why I would NEVER pass an opinion on anything like this if I never personally witnessed it.

these things start to grow arms and legs and its amazing the conclusions that are jumped to

If it were a member of my family or one of my mates that had been involved, I would have been well ****sed off by the time I got half way through the 1st thread
Old 13-09-07, 12:50 PM   #10
independentphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
[spitting feathers mode]

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby2102 View Post
with patch totally on this one

its amazing the conclusions that are arrived at by a single post (that has turned out to be totally innacurate on a number of counts) by peeps that never witnessed the accident, thats why I would NEVER pass an opinion on anything like this if I never personally witnessed it.

these things start to grow arms and legs and its amazing the conclusions that are jumped to

If it were a member of my family or one of my mates that had been involved, I would have been well ****sed off by the time I got half way through the 1st thread
I've done the run in previous years, and YES there can be scope for nutty riding. That doesn't mean that there was any involved in these incidents, but it CAN happen.

Truth in both posts. I said the same thing on the other post about not being there. http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=96573 However, it is fair to say that some bikers also cut some right handers as well as drifting on some lefts.

It all goes back to not seeing or knowing what really went on.

Garry

Last edited by independentphoto; 13-09-07 at 12:52 PM.