SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-04-07, 07:18 AM   #1
Dicky Ticker

Default Mechanical Aptitude

I have just been reading through some new and old posts on this section and I am amazed at what people are doing with the potential to completely knacker their bikes and predjudice their safety. I know that some on here are extremely knowledgeable so modifications and maintenace are second nature. I am a diesel fitter by trade so most things come easy to me with regards to maintenance and repair,but it mystifies me why people buy bikes that aren't what they want in the first place or can't afford to have proper mechanics doing the work required
I appreciate that we like to play with our toys but it seems people have not got the basic knowledge to be doing the things they are doing.I am willing to help anybody when possible but remember a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing so if in doubt don't do it but get somebody who is qualified to carry out the work
I am not trying to put a damper on anybody and I appreciate everybody has a quest for practical knowledge regarding the workings of their bike but please err on the side of safety before you become a cropper
Old 15-04-07, 07:47 AM   #2
kcowgergmm

Default Re: Mechanical Aptitude

that why when i changed my brake pads a few months ago i asked for comments and suggestion. I am some mechanical abilities but I was a bit nervous changing out the brake pads and fitting SS brake lines because i knew bad things could happen if i messed up. I waste some time worrying because it ended up being really easy once i got into but i have to agree with Dicky Ticker ask if in doubt and if you still are unsure then don't do it a wrecked bike cost more than taking it to the shop to have the work done
Old 15-04-07, 07:48 AM   #3
kcowgergmm

Default Re: Mechanical Aptitude

oh that brings up a question any advice tips or tricks and is there any special tools need to replace the clutch plates