SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 26-07-10, 11:04 AM   #1
Brettus

Default Two day trip, route suggestions/advice please

I'm pondering a longer ride with an overnight stay somewhere. I've dragged and dropped some pins on google maps and got a couple of routes (with no knowledge of "good" roads, other than snake pass on the second option)
Google is reckoning around 7 hours per day as an average, is that too much time in the saddle? It sounds OK to me but I've not really done longer trips before.

I'll stick the links up and then you can have a look, any amendments/suggestions always appreciated.

Lap of Wales
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&so...7,8.453979&z=8

Lake district jaunt taking in Hardknott Pass
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&so...6,8.453979&z=8

What were your day lengths like when you were touring Scotland Quiff?

of course a completely different route/area with the same single overnight stay is fine too, all suggestions welcome.
It's just an idea at the moment, don't know if I will get to do it anytime.
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-10, 11:12 AM   #2
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Default Re: Two day trip, route suggestions/advice please

7 hours in the saddle would for mean mean 10-11 hours travel time as you'll need to stop every our to 90 minutes for a break...unless you are built of steel and have a never ending fuel supply...lol. Doable thought.

Can only speak for Wales, but honestly, to cover that amount of ground in two days would be too much for me, I'd want a week to do that, so I could enjoy everything. The coast of west and north Wales is incredible though...just watch out on some of the coast roads as they are, especially in the south west, made up of small country lanes with high hedges, so visibility is poor.....but they are impossible to find in a straight line though
Old 26-07-10, 04:40 PM   #3
MR UKI (1)

Lots of peeps (including me ) have done the GM before over just the 3 days. Last year and the year before I did this. 320+miles up on the Friday (twisty route), GM rideout on the Saturday then 320+miles back on the Sunday (motorway all the way back). 800miles in 3 days is bloody tiring and 450-500 in 2 days is tiring but I would happily do that again
Old 26-07-10, 04:48 PM   #4
Dicky Ticker

Depends what you want----if you just want to ride roads dawn till dusk,does it make any difference where you end up at night.Alternatively pick something you want to see or visit,even if it is enroute,so that your day is broken up
Example= 10 day tour of Scotland from Essex but our longest day was 350 miles from KendalMostly motorway or main A roads] on the way home and the over all distince was 2386 miles
My interpretation of bike riding is that it shouldn't be an endurance trial and if you are not used to riding long distances in a day it can be very tiring which leads to mistakes. Yes we can all jump on a bike and do 550-600 miles in a day but even a hardened seasoned rider likes it to be enjoyable.IMHO a 250 mile day can be pleasant as you don't have to be chasing all the time plus you have a couple of hours free in the day to take in your surrounds.
Whatever you decide just enjoy it but please remember tiredness is a killer

Last edited by Dicky Ticker; 26-07-10 at 05:40 PM.