SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-03-10, 08:03 PM   #1
Montizano

Default No fast Idle - 2007 sv abs (and first post!)

Hey everyone,

This is my first post, I bought a 2007 SV650 abs (blue) with about 7000km last fall. I've had a Kawasaki H1, Honda, CB-1, Honda 599 and now the SV. For the last few years I've been unable to ride due to a bad ankle injury) but now the ankle is working well enough and I'm excited to get back to riding.

The reason I'm writing this post is, I've got a little problem with my idle circuit...

When I start the bike cold I have not fast idle - it goes right to the 1250-1300 rpm idle range. Sometimes, when it is really cold, it goes to 2000 for 1-2 seconds and then drops right down (always well before the temp gauge starts moving).

I know at least one other person has noticed this behavior, but haven't seen any ideas as to the cause, or the fix.

Thanks for any help!
Old 17-03-10, 08:28 AM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: No fast Idle - 2007 sv abs (and first post!)

Does the motor die? If not, what is it that makes you think there's a fault?

Modern systems are quite finely controlled, if the temperature is warm enough, there may be no fast idle part of the sequence at all. What's the temperature where you are typically/whereabouts in the world are you?
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-10, 01:12 PM   #3
Montizano

Good question. While I am in Washington, DC and it does get rather hot here, I don't think it is that hot! Temps are between 10C-35C ambient when I usually ride and this behavior is evident at all temperature ranges.

The motor does not die, but it runs rough. It's my understanding that the fast idle should stop around 40C (but now I can't find that reference) - the gauge on the dash still reads -- when it drops to regular idle.

When it is colder, say 15C, it will do the 1 sec fast idle and drop down to the regular idle. If the bike was running smooth I would not worry about it, but it does not run evenly until it has warmed up a bit.

How does the fast idle on your bike behave?

-CM
Old 17-03-10, 01:44 PM   #4
LK-SV

Agreed with Sid ..... if its not stalling ... then nothing to worry about .....

I found my SV only went on fast idle when it was REALLY cold ....

Nothing to worry about I'd say ...
Old 17-03-10, 02:16 PM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

I don't know what the system is like on the FI SV, but if it's not stalling from a cold start then the extra air function must be functioning to some extent in order to maintain that idle speed.

Some of the simpler systems (as bikes are generally) require the basic throttle or by-pass to be set such that it will give a hot idle pretty close to the target value on its own, and the extra air circuit will then be able to provide sufficient air for fast idling when much colder. If the basic setting is tight (restrictive) then the extra air circuit is already having to add air for normal hot idle and there isn't enough spare capacity to lift the idle much. The SV may not be like this, others will know in detail, but check out whether there is indeed a base-line setting procedure. You often have to drive the extra air circuit closed by some procedure like unplugging the actuator and switching ignition on/off in some sequence. This may all be irrelevant.
Old 18-03-10, 01:38 PM   #6
tommo891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montizano View Post
Temps are between 10C-35C ambient when I usually ride
I wish that was my local weather report, more like -2C-8C
Old 18-03-10, 03:00 PM   #7
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Sorry can't help you on the fast idle, as I remember my K4 stayed at 2K fo a lot longer than 1-2 secs.
How are you finding the ABS?

and welcome
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-10, 09:27 PM   #8
Teabag

I have a late 2007 K7.

Just did a quick test. The bike has not been used today and the temperature in my garage is 13C. I just started it and the fast idle lasted for 12 seconds after which the temperature guage still showed --. The bike was running fairly smoothly at this point.
Old 18-03-10, 09:30 PM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

That sounds fine, you don't need fast idle when it will tick over normally.
Old 18-03-10, 09:33 PM   #10
Alpinestarhero

FWIW, I started up my 1999 SV today for the first time in 4 weeks, it was about 13 deg.C here too. Needed a bit of choke to get it fired up but it easily settled down to a nice strong idle, I could knock the choke off in a relativly short amount of time

Last edited by Alpinestarhero; 18-03-10 at 09:34 PM.