SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-03-17, 07:05 AM   #4381
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

I agree. The thing that really bugs me is when they read out the inane tweets from D list celebrities. Do media organisations think 140 characters of drivel from Lily Allen or Katie Price are actually news?
Old 23-03-17, 07:07 AM   #4382
maviczap
Mega Poster

Yes they do, because it's not the BBC news, it's Hello news. Lightweight and shallow
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-17, 09:43 AM   #4383
Red Herring
Mega Poster

The "News" is no longer the News, it's an entertainment show and they will deliver what people demand. I think the way they report these events akin to rubber necking the scene of a crash, but the public seem to have this thirst for morbid detail and even if it is nothing more than speculation or opinion they lap it up. I find it all very disappointing.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-17, 09:59 AM   #4384
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
The "News" is no longer the News, it's an entertainment show and they will deliver what people demand. I think the way they report these events akin to rubber necking the scene of a crash, but the public seem to have this thirst for morbid detail and even if it is nothing more than speculation or opinion they lap it up. I find it all very disappointing.
You & me both. I suppose its because we were used to the BBC news being presented in a formal fashion, not this entertainment format.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-17, 10:12 AM   #4385
Trev B

LPH,the reason you get bolshy and just get on with your day is because if you don't go to work,you don't get paid !!!
Old 23-03-17, 04:25 PM   #4386
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Or rather, what they think people demand. But then that becomes "normal" to the people watching, so they then expect it. Chicken and egg. In my mind they're at least 50% responsible because they influence as well as deliver.
Old 23-03-17, 04:34 PM   #4387
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Bikers get away with filtering because we are using space not being used by others and with skilful planning and anticipation we can generally emerge onto roundabouts or other junctions without stopping. If we do have to stop we should certainly be planning on doing so in a position where we won't impeded those we have just overtaken.
Completely irrelevant in London as what actually happens is cyclists filter to the front en masse, fill up the cycle boxes if provided, but forget to change to a low gear. Then everyone waits for them while they heave away on their pedals like an overloaded steam train.
Old 23-03-17, 06:15 PM   #4388
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
Completely irrelevant in London as what actually happens is cyclists filter to the front en masse, fill up the cycle boxes if provided, but forget to change to a low gear. Then everyone waits for them while they heave away on their pedals like an overloaded steam train.
Around us (Shoreditch) the cycles only have one gear. Of course, it doesn't matter as they don't stop either.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-17, 07:43 PM   #4389
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
.....Then everyone waits for them while they heave away on their pedals like an overloaded steam train.
And how does that make you feel? My point exactly! Just because it's London doesn't mean you have to chuck out your principals.

If you're going to filter, with or without a motor, then don't do anything that is going to hold up the traffic you have just passed. It's just plain good manners.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-17, 08:36 PM   #4390
Red ones
Mega Poster

When I cycled I saw starting from traffic lights as a challenge. See how far you can get before cars catch up. A cycle in low gear cant half out accelerate a car.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote