SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 04-02-09, 01:25 PM   #1
Magnum

Default Your views on immigration

I think this could be an interesting discussion with the growing immigration in the country and the varied, but mostly negative press regarding it.

I returned from a four day trip to Istanbul last night and i have found that my views on immigration have completely changed. I have only been as far as France and Spain before and they arn't very different countries from the UK. My views on Immigration were that it should be pretty much completely cut back on and that it shouldnt be so easy for the immigrants, because they "sponge off the state".
But after my visit to Turkey i can understand why people do immigrate and i believe fully that anyone in certain situations would do exactly the same thing, and immigrate. Istanbul is a very mixed city that doesn't seem to be funded properly, with shanty towns next to hi-rise apartments, 5 year old children begging in the streets and blind people scraping a living selling tissues.
If i was in the situation where i was living in such poor conditions, i would do the absolute best thing for my family and try to make a living elsewhere perhaps starting a business in England, or even working in an unqualified job on minimum wage because this would be the best for them.
In my college there are a fair few non british students mainly from eastern Europe and Asian countries, and i think it is a good thing that they are earning the qualifications for a decent job in the future.
I do however think that the immigrants should be self sufficient and be able to get a job straight away and not live on benefits. I disagree completely with any illegal work and immigration, because this hinders the chances of legitimate immigrants and English people getting jobs.

What do you think about the current immigration?

I don't want this thread to get closed, so try and stop any comments from becoming offensive or derogatory.
Old 04-02-09, 01:31 PM   #2
ogden
Mega Poster

Default Re: Your views on immigration

I am so not subscribing to this topic.

If you think you're going to get a rational discussion about it on here, you're barking.
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-09, 01:34 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Too easy to get benefits, so Brits don't want jobs that aren't cushty, so immigrants take up the slack
Old 04-02-09, 01:35 PM   #4
Luckypants
Mega Poster

I think the level of your understanding is underlined by your using the terms UK and England interchangeably....

I'm out of this one
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-09, 01:36 PM   #5
bluninja

I have no problem with immigration provided that there is the infrastructure in place to support the increase in population (Doctors, hospitals, schools, housing, social services etc). However I do object to paying council tax for translating leaflets into 20 different languages and paying for interpreter services.

Provided people are paying their taxes and social, I don't care if they are supporting family members in other countries...it's their choice of what to do with their money.

Whilst it's easy to see the benefits (and downside) of immigration in this country, consider the issues it creates for the country they have left......doctors, nurses, teachers, skilled workers....leaving for better pay.....how do these countries cope with the skills drain and the impact on the population. These are the very people that some coutries need to grow socially and economically...and yet we have qualified doctors working as taxi drivers here as they earn more money.
Old 04-02-09, 01:45 PM   #6
ThEGr33k

Problem is that you get them coming and getting quals and taking our jobs. Not what the country need right now, or ever really.

That about getting a job streight away when they come to the contry is crap, a lot of brits cant get jobs, so why should the immigrants? Thats terrable for the ecconomy.

Over all too much is a bad thing, and to be honest there has been too much for too long.
Old 04-02-09, 01:49 PM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

Plain and simple, we should have a robust immigration policy and stick to it, much like the US and AUS.

We are the soft touch of europe and people know it. There are too many loopholes that allow distant family members to come here and get what they want. Too many do gooders out there that say, 'ooo, we cant throw them out, what about thier human rights..blah blah blah' etc etc.

Im all for a multi cultral UK as i think its adds interest to a country, but there are limits. I also think that anyone that enters the UK and applies for asylum, or citizenship should have to blend into the UK and accept what the UK's culture and not try to impose thier own cluture on the Uk and change it if you know what i mean. I feel (And i maybe wrong) that if we where applying for aslyum in many of the contries that the people come form, we would have to adapt to thier way of life/cultures etc.

I dont see any reason why the UK can not be multi cultral, there just needs to be a steadfast policy in place and one that has implications if the person does not comply, or conform, they are out! The person(s) should be solvant, and not allowed any form of benefits/housing for at least 5 Years of full working, and i dont think they should be granted British citizenship for at least 10 years. Thsi would stop the Marrige for passports scam that happens.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-09, 02:02 PM   #8
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

reckon i can pre-empt this one by invoking godwins law before it's required...

**unsubscribes**
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-09, 02:09 PM   #9
Speedy Claire

It is not just a case of people emigrating (not immigrating!) once here they start dishing out their demands which our Government is stupid enough to comply with.

I used to have sympathy for immigrants but having run an asylum seekers health clinic for over a year and having to tolerate abuse ranging from verbal to a fist in my face I no longer have the same views. I would say that maybe one out of ten immigrants attending the clinic had an actual health problem... the rest would be after (sorry demanding) anything from more channels on their Sky TV to a better mobile phone to a new central heating system.

The demographic area in which I work has a vast number of houses set aside for our asylum seekers.... once in this country they demand a good standard of housing. They are then automatically given furniture, money, clothing, tv, bedding etc etc. In my experience I have encountered a large number of these families who will sell the TV`s, childrens bedding, even rip the central heating boiler off the wall and insist its been stolen and they need these items replacing! we have huge number of UK citizens who are homeless and can`t get decent housing yet these immigrants can.

I`m sorry but it`s all wrong... I don`t consider myself to be a racist but it angers me that these people can come into our country and start making their demands. Our government grants all of their demands and then insists that we have, for example, signs in our health centres in foreign languages for their benefit, our Social Services literature is now printed in different languages. I was asked to carry out a nursing assessment on a lady who didn`t speak English... my PCT had to fund an interpretor to assist me in the assessment!

Again I`m not racist but ffs charity begins at home and if you are going to come and live in our country then at the very least learn to speak English!
Old 04-02-09, 02:12 PM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

It does amaze me how peoples opinions on immigration, tolerance, integration etc. change so dramatically after walking through Bradford.