SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-03-05, 10:52 PM   #1
SPeeeeDY

Default mobile speed camera alert

would this be any good on an SV SK3

http://www.blackspot.com/products/laseralert/main.htm

what size batterie is on the SV, would i be right in guessing a 12V the same as in a cage?

Does anyone have a lazer alert on their bike?

Which is the best one to buy for under about £150?

Im not planning on racing around on the bike (to start with anyway), but i would like a warning if there is a risk of being caught

Cheers

SPeeeeDY
Old 12-03-05, 11:06 PM   #2
Smiffy

By the time you are LASERed, isn't it too late?
Old 12-03-05, 11:08 PM   #3
SPeeeeDY

i think so, but this works up to 2km away, supposedly out of range for the 'road safety officer'
Old 12-03-05, 11:20 PM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

SV is twelve volt, it'll work as long as you can find somewhere suitable to fit it, as it's intended for cars it's not water resistant and most likely not very vibration tolerant either.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-05, 11:47 PM   #5
RandyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPeeeeDY
i think so, but this works up to 2km away, supposedly out of range for the 'road safety officer'
laser has a narrow focused beam, if this thing alerts you, your caught, laser beams do not bend around corners or go thru objects, it's line of sight if you picked something up 2km away it would be a random freak thing
Old 12-03-05, 11:56 PM   #6
SPeeeeDY

good point, I think i will have to look at a different model.

I can only get 6 points on my licence for the first two years of passing my test (one year to go) so, i can't afford to get caught. If/when i break a speed limit, it will only be on a country road and think some sort of warning about the copper hid round a bend with his gun would be a good idea.

Anyone know of anyother warning devices, that will work on a twisty road

SPeeeeDY
Old 13-03-05, 12:20 AM   #7
Jelster

If it's a jammer, the idea of them is to block the first attempt to get a fix on you. It takes about 1.5 secs for a user to reset and try again, in te meantime the jammers should be making a load of noise and you can scrub of some of the speed.

That's the theory anyway...

Old 13-03-05, 08:51 AM   #8
Red ones
Mega Poster

LAser detector don't pick up the beam, they pick up the defracted light caused by dust etc. Because the laser has a very specific and unusual wavelength it is possible to assume that if you detect the smalllest amount of light of that wavelength then it must be of an unnatural source. (Basically the same way a radar detector works)
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-05, 09:23 AM   #9
markfc

I'd wait for the TomTom mobile to come out as any laser units are soon to be made illegal. The TomTom works using GPS and is fantastic, you can set the warning to be as far away from the camera as you want, plus it's designed for motorbikes and is waterproof etc
Old 13-03-05, 10:09 AM   #10
coombest

I bought a radar/laser detector that looks very much like this one for use in my car...

I used it for abut 10 trips before I got really really hacked off with it!
It kept falling off the windscreen, the radar detctor would go off all the time for no reason (automatic doors set them off, along with other things!). The laser detection side of it never went off at all! I didn't get caught though, but I don't attribute that to the detector!

Mobile camras are on the surface, seemingly an issue for the GPS based systems. This in theory isn't an issue any more as every regular mobile camera site now has to be disclosed (and signs put up!) to the public, so if you update the library in the unit, it will alert you of when you are approacking a mobile camera site, whether there is a camera there or not at the time.

Radar/laser jammers are completely illegal to use in the UK (and many other countries as well!). However, you are allowed to posess them in the UK!

I have a friend who installs ICE and speed detection systems into purely high end cars and the only speed camera detector he will install now is the Road Pilot Micro. I'm not sure whether it would be suitable for bikes but is well thought of by many people I have spoken to.

HTH