SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-09-12, 12:04 PM   #31
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: new iPhone today

OK, I admit it, I am in the soulkiss camp when it comes to expensive fruit. My workphone is a nokia phone, my personal phone is a HTC running gingerbread, my tablet is an asus tf300t running JellyBean.

I do not understand what is so good about i*, i like that I have my music collection of a 64Mb card in asus and a subset on my phone, I like that I can simply stick either device on the network and see my servers whether they be windows shares, NFS etc. I like that i can move my kindle books about between devices so easy.

I like that I can video talk over the net with the daughters and see where they are using lattitude etc. So why do people get so eat up about android? If my wife/kids can use it what is so techy with out the box.
Old 13-09-12, 12:17 PM   #32
pookie

psychologically conditioned that fruit and veg 5 times a day is good for them ..
err its a no brainer, there are some that seek out answers and those that like be told I guess. It'll all converge eventually and we'll be spending our dosh on something else other than new phones.
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-12, 12:38 PM   #33
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
I do not understand what is so good about it
I can from a technical point of view...
iOS prioritises it's graphics processing over data processing, and the result is that it gives that 'slicker than slick' effect when using and navigating it, that Android devices don't yet have...

That said, the 4.1 Jellybean update for Android will now replicate this ability in the graphics processing, and should finally bring a level playing field to the smoothness of devices.
(Even though the quad-core devices like the HTC One X and Samsung Galaxy S3 are pretty close already on that front)
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-12, 03:38 PM   #34
Jackie_Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyrach View Post
Rubbish
I don't think anyone is slating others choices just the fact that all the hype apple products seem to generate.
I think the media create all the hype, apple just drop the odd hint and the web goes wild. It's hardly surprising it is/was a company owned and ran by geeks. It's obvious the geeks will create positive and negative hype regarding everything apple do, they've now got too mainstream though, so it's going to become cool to hate them regardless of what they make. It's only a ****ing phone man, what was everyone expecting. It'll replace a worn out 3GS and do what it says on the tin. Androids are no doubt better now and just as simple, but they were nowhere when all this started and I and other IOS user probably can't be arsed to change. I dont buy a lot of apps particularly but I'm not buying them again or thieving them just to run android, and the S3 is all plastic and thats the main other choice for me.
Old 13-09-12, 04:26 PM   #35
ClunkintheUK

I like my iPhone. When I got it, it basically cost me nothing due to a couple of offers and needing to buy a new music player at the time, my mini disc player had just died. The only other smartphones at the time really were blackberries (and by smart phone I mean could read e-mail). If I were to change it would almost certainly be due to peer pressure that "Apple are a souless corporation that take money from suckers with more money than sense". Everytime it comes round to upgrade time i have a look at the others and now frankly can see virtually no practical difference between them. Yeah i might pay a little more, maybe 50 tops with various contract options and bargaining. But it would cost me more in re-buying my apps and time to swap everything round. All I need to do is plug it into my laptop for a bit while i am doing something else and hey presto. Plus my high scores are on my iPhone. If i were buying my first smart phone would i get an iPhone, possibly not.

Also what is the obsession with screen size? Big screen = doesn't fit in my jeans very easily.
Old 13-09-12, 05:53 PM   #36
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I think Apple have missed a trick here. Where the Iphone is concerned that have gone from innovators to sheep. Theres no new features there that really warrant the cost of upgrading because lets face it, it wont be cheap to upgrade to the Iphone 5.

As I read elsewhere. I bet Steve Jobs is spinning in his grave.

Its way way to conservative and smacks of Apple resting on their Laurels and past reputation. People will upgrade anyway because they have to have the latest product. Their choice.

I was considering an upgrade to the 5, but it looks expensive for not much benefit or new features. Whats new I dont really want or wont use.

I shall keep my trusty 3GS for a while and then wait for the prices on the Iphone 4S to drop and then bag myself a cheap upgrade.

The connector change on the 5 sucks and IMHO is a purely cynical opportunity to drive more sales by forcing people to buy new peripherals.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-12, 06:12 PM   #37
Jackie_Black

I'm actually getting my 3gs unlocked to go sim only onto vodafone. The 3GS will last longer, i've made my mind up!! They are all cack and overpriced. Sim only S3 is £400 hardly cheap is it! all as bad as each other, pirates.
Old 13-09-12, 06:32 PM   #38
flymo
Mega Poster

if you want to go SIM only, take a look at giffgaff, its on the O2 network and very good value, I use on iPhone 4 for £10 per month, 250 mins, unlimited text and data. Free calls between giffgaff users too.

If you follow this link to get your free SIM then we both benefit;

http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/rhiannon_elliott
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-12, 06:49 PM   #39
Jackie_Black

I cant be on o2 anymore, it doesnt work at work and hasnt for 3 years, i've had enough. THey are reluctant to give me my pac code though!!
Old 13-09-12, 07:20 PM   #40
Scythe92

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymo View Post
if you want to go SIM only, take a look at giffgaff, its on the O2 network and very good value, I use on iPhone 4 for £10 per month, 250 mins, unlimited text and data. Free calls between giffgaff users too.

If you follow this link to get your free SIM then we both benefit;

http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/rhiannon_elliott
Giffgaff won't be supplying the nano SIMs for the iphone 5, can't use them or cut it down