SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 23-08-07, 12:21 PM   #1
fat_brstd

Default my first trackday - is this a good idea?

Having been riding for a while now i have decided that i should do a track day. Living in high wycombe and working monday to friday means that ive found it fairly hard to work out where i can go. I been thinking about doing this one - http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/br...ProductID=3596

Its a novice day and ive never been on a road bike track before (I did a lot of moto-x between 8 and 16) but im a little worried about the pace. Reallisticaly how slow are these guys going to be going, I ride pretty hard all the time every day and have very little trouble keeping up with friends who have done quite a few trackdays when we ride out on the road together. The other thing is my bike is very loud. I have no idea what 105db is but ive got micron end cans on my tls with no baffles in (and i dont have any baffles so i cant make it any quieter either). The last thing i want is to book up, ride 125miles and then not be allowed to have a play.

I have a set of CE approved zip together leathers, new boots which dont have holes in and a lid which has the gold stamp. At the moment i only have textile gloves so im guessing i need to get proper leather ones to be let on the track? Also am i being realistic, doing 125 miles each way to get to the track and a whole days racing is that going to be too much for me? I have had no problem doing stupid distances on bike up and down the country but that tends to be motorways which you can relax on, i cant see track riding being even close to as gentle as that. And should i try and coax a friend or 2 into comming allong as well?

so what you think? should i book up and go?

cheers
Old 23-08-07, 12:42 PM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: my first trackday - is this a good idea?

I'm yet to do a bike trackday also....but from car trackday experience, at first you probably think you are alot better than you actually are.

I know people that ride and drive fast on the road but their lines are absolutely terrible and they would be dangerous on a track and more than likely end up having a black flag waved at them.

Anyone having a go at a trackday probably think they are good enough, or they wouldnt be doing it. When I first started doing car trackdays the novice standard was still good.

Get yourself on a novice day with tutors to learn your lines etc and if it goes ok move up a class.

Last edited by G; 23-08-07 at 12:57 PM.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-07, 01:00 PM   #3
weazelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat_brstd View Post
...and a whole days racing
it's not racing - it's a trackday

you'll be fine, 105dB is pretty loud, I'd be suprised if you have a problem

so long as you turn up on a road-legal bike & ride sensibly you should be fine. if you turn up on a race-prep'd bike with your sliders worn to wafers & ride like a knobhead you might not be quite so fine
Old 23-08-07, 01:17 PM   #4
Stormspiel

My first trackday was Cadwell park and I rode 75 miles there at 6am in the morning to make the first session. Did a full days tracktime and then rode the 75 miles home again, nothing sore at all and bike was fine.

Few hints that helped me.

Take your mirrors off !! - worry about whats in front of you , someone wants round you they're coming anyway.

If you can, run a clear track, don't try and chase someone round because you may end up in the dirt.

Stick to your lines, You suddenly move mid corner and someone may catch you.

Only go as fast as your comfortable with. You probably will scare yourself at some point on track, I twice went over the grass after the mountain, once forced over and once i went too hot.

Use the markers...they're not there for the laugh

If you do hit the grass, leave the front brake well alone !!! rear slides are controllable, lose the front on grass and you'll be skimming it very quickly.

You'll definately need the leather gloves yes.

I'd say if you fancy it then go for it. I'm by no means fast but on a ZX9R with a slipping clutch i was lapping a duke998 and a ZX10R !! On the other hand my mate was on a hornet 6 and kicked my ****. All in the novice group, There will be quick and slow riders and i'll guarantee there is at least 1 person slower than you each session.
Old 23-08-07, 01:42 PM   #5
Tim in Belgium

I agree with most of the above, although simply taping over your mirrors can be a bit quicker and simpler if you are riding up to a trackday.

I've ridden to and from trackdays before all in a day, the longest being from Belgium to Lydden in Kent and back again (including two eurotunnels) all in a day. It's possible but you'll be shattered by the time you get home, so make sure you've got an easy day the next day.

Your speed doesn't matter too much in a novice group, it's up to the person overtaking to do so safely, from the sounds of it you should be fine, and at least you'll have the power for the straights unlike the SV!
Old 23-08-07, 02:27 PM   #6
Blue_SV650S

Don’t be concerned about starting off in novice, if the group proves to be too slow for you, just tell the office and they will be happy to move you to inters!!

105db is generous, but a TLS with no baffles might be pushing your luck to be honest … 1000cc twins are loud! Mate has a SP1 and a 996 and BOTH are over the limit!!
Old 23-08-07, 03:28 PM   #7
weazelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Don’t be concerned about starting off in novice, if the group proves to be too slow for you, just tell the office and they will be happy to move you to inters!!
I think the point is that it's a Novice-Only trackday - there are no Inter or Fast groups
Old 23-08-07, 08:28 PM   #8
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by weazelz View Post
I think the point is that it's a Novice-Only trackday - there are no Inter or Fast groups
Ah .... my bad (didn't even click the link!)!!

Fat_ If you really think you are likely to be much stronger than other noobs, then I'd suggest going for a trackday where there are groups would be a better idea. Although there will be tons to learn, if you are tripping over wobbly noobs, it is going to ruin both your day and theirs

There is a good chance that you would be perfectly content/placed in a novice group, but why go for a trackday where you don't have the choice of moving up a group? I hear what you say about weekdays, but there are plenty of w/e ones too
Old 23-08-07, 11:25 PM   #9
fat_brstd

cheers for the input guys im going to sleep on it and see how i feel in the morning, im also going to take a trip down the local deallers and see what they think about the volume of my bike cause the last thing i want is to show up and not be allowed to ride and loose all my money.

as for novice vs intermediates, i can get my knee down on both sides no problem on the road and one of my riding palls does 1 track day a week on his cbr600rr (which i know is a less powerfull bike) and i have no problem keeping up with him on roads that we both know. I dont want to sound like im blowing my own trumpet but im only 23 and ive been riding since i was 8 and raced moto-x when i was 12 for 4 years untill i broke my spine when i was 16 in a very badly executed nohander (which gives me 15 years continous riding excluding the 8 weeks in hospital). Also i can count the number of days i havnt ridden in the last 5 years on 1 hand. Since then ive only ridden on the road but i think its time for me to push myself in a controlled maner cause the road riding ive been doin has got very hairy at times. At a novice only track day are they going to be worried about worn knee and toe sliders? or is that expected (as in ive learnt how to ride my bike on the road, now i want to go even faster).

Also is my bike going to be reasonable compaired to others, its a 97 tl1000s 117.0bhp at rear wheel, ohlins fork internals, ohlins rear shock, half worn michellin pilot powers 2ct with a half fairing and a belly pan and baffleless micron end cans. realisticaly are the others going to be on stock cbr600f's or trick r1's?

I see your point about doing a multi session track day blue and as i believe you do a lot of them can you point me do a decent mutli level trackday close(ish) to bucks. It think this might be a slightly better option but this day at £99 seems pretty cheep for a weekend day

Last edited by fat_brstd; 23-08-07 at 11:27 PM.
Old 24-08-07, 06:36 AM   #10
Stormspiel

When i went, amongst other there was in the novice group:

My 98 ZX9R - totally stock except for can and tarty bits.
Bro's 2000 R6 - as above
Mate's 98 hornet 6 - as above

KTM Supermoto - totally stock
CBR600RR - Full HM plant rep with Ohlins etc
Various track only SRAD's tricked out
998 Duke
2 x stock ZX10R's
2 very trick curvy Sv's
VTR SP1

There's about 20-30 in each group depending on circuit etc. But there will be everything from hardcore trackdayers with tricked out bikes to complete noobs on the fastest machinery there, but can't ride it to save their lives. Point is there's gonna be a mixed bag and at the end of the day you should be going for your enjoyment / skill honing and not worrying about being slowest on track. like i said before YOU WON'T BE !!!

Your bike sounds fine mate but i'd just check Db's to be safe. As for knee sliders etc...they couldn't care less. If they're sparkies tho get some plastic's put back on, no sparkies on track.