SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-07-07, 11:46 AM   #1
RhythmJunkie

Unhappy Would You Like More Bumps With That Sir?

Hi there! I'm RhythmJunkie, an ageing born again biker of some 28 years experience on everything from Honda C90 to CBR1000F Including some real lemons like Superdream (slowww) Suzuki X7 (rust) and a good old Honda CX500 (??) among many others.
Glad this place exists cos I'm about to take possession of a 2006 fully faired SV650sport last one in the shop
Been riding a GSX750F T'reg for the past 18 months and wanted something newer and much lighter. Love the styling of the SV's and if the test reports are anything to go by I'm in for a long love affair!

Well enough small talk, has anyone experienced those new rumble strips yet? Maybe only in Derbyshire where they seem to have gone bananas putting the damn things everywhere! I first saw them in Wales several years ago but they were not as severe as the ones now being used in Derbykneedeepinsheep****shire!
These bumps according to a Derbyshire Highways Agency spokeswoman are to give drivers a "wake up call" as they approach tight bends and hidden junctions. What a stupid meaningless statement. Some of them are placed where the bend is visible and not dangerous i.e. not 'off camber' and of good repair, yet some really nasty bends on the same stretch of road are missed. Explain? Some are actually placed on the entry to the bend itself in the braking zone just as a biker is setting themselves up for the bend, how dangerous is that? ..and why three sets of strips??? Is that for people with staggeringly slow reaction times like for instance a 92 year old with dementia and uncorrectable defective eyesight?? I suffer from arthritis and tendonitis so have lots of pain in my joints and these bumps are driving me insane! Another reason for ditching the GSX. My elbows are battered to bits after riding along the A619 from Baslow to Chesterfield one of the worst affected roads I know of!
I have a theory that these bumps are designed to put bikers off using certain roads, probably because all the retired high earners who live in Baslow are fed up with all the noisy bikers riding through their
village every Sunday spoiling their peace. Funny how the worst strips have been placed on the 3 major routes out of Baslow yet move away from Baslow and you have to search for more. Some of the worst strips are on the A515 Buxton to Ashbourne road. So vicious are some of these strips that my wife riding pillion bit her tongue as I hit them at 50mph. The dangerous junction at the bottom of the hill is plainly visible night and day for around half a mile down an arrow straight road and is literally wallpapered with highly reflective warning signs! So why these stupid strips? Just another complete waste of tax payers money!

Sorry for going on and on but these things are a menace to bikers and some of them are downright dangerous! They are even annoying in a car!
So....any of you had experience of these damned strips, and please don't tell me they are all over the country, I couldn't bare to hear that!

RJ
Old 15-07-07, 12:10 PM   #2
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Default Re: Would You Like More Bumps With That Sir?

hello and welcome

yes we've got loads down here the council has gone hypo with them the past year the frigging things are everywhere

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-07, 12:22 PM   #3
Filipe M.

Downright dangerous, IMO. Even more in the wet, because you really have to slow down unlike Mr. JoePublic in his 4wheel air-matress saloon who'll be trying to take a ride on the pillion seat...
Old 15-07-07, 01:08 PM   #4
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmJunkie View Post
Hi there! I'm RhythmJunkie........Love the styling of the SV's and if the test reports are anything to go by I'm in for a long love affair!
Hi and welcome. Good name, liking that. And yes prepare to love her and spend your weekend either playing with her fiddly bits or rubbing her a lot or riding her the way she likes it. Fnarr Fnarr and all that.

Quote:
Well enough small talk, has anyone experienced those new rumble strips yet?
No not down here in london but from the sound of it i'm glad all i gotta deal with is speed bumps.
Quote:
Is that for people with staggeringly slow reaction times like for instance a 92 year old with dementia and uncorrectable defective eyesight??
I met him once... he went the wrong way round a roundabout!!! and when i told him about himself at the next set of lights he said "Look, F**k off, ive got a cattaracht(sp) in my right eye so cant see anything on that side until they do the surgery." Made me understand why when he came to the next mini roundabout he went straight over that when there was alreay a minibus full of kids on it and that missed him by only millimeteres.

What i didnt expect was for him to try and hit me with his walking stick when i tried to talk to him again when he pulled over. Crazy old fool!!!

Anyway, what colour is your SV? Blue ones are the fastest you see
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-07, 02:14 PM   #5
RhythmJunkie

Quote:> "Anyway, what colour is your SV? Blue ones are the fastest you see!"

Its a sort of bluey grey....'ish, well more blue than grey really but Suzuki call it grey! Maybe the Japanese eat too much sushi and its affecting their colour vision!

I'm impressed with the accel' figures I've seen on the web, with 0.427hp/kg for the SV650S and 0.426hp/kg for the GSX750F the acceleration should be sweet but without all those screaming revs. I have thought on occasion that a GSX750 on cam with standard silencer sounds way too much like a hover mower!

Thanks for the warnings Wideboy....I'll be sure to avoid Southampton!

Last edited by RhythmJunkie; 15-07-07 at 02:20 PM.
Old 17-07-07, 06:49 PM   #6
Pedro68

Hey RJ, as a frequent user of the Snake Pass (A57) I can say that I've experienced those rumble strips (positioned on a bend, just before the turn for Derwent Valley) - obviously there to slow drivers down due to traffic turning right into that road, and also for traffic turning right out of the road.

Now the good news ... dunno why (maybe complaints to Derbyshire CC from bikers ) but the rumble strips have mysteriously been removed RESULT! Yayyyy!

Pete
Old 17-07-07, 07:00 PM   #7
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
No not down here in london but from the sound of it i'm glad all i gotta deal with is speed bumps.
There's a few of these in Camden - but they've always been good at wasting money on ineffective 'traffic calming'.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-07, 09:57 PM   #8
Jester666

Quote:
My elbows are battered to bits after riding along the A619 from Baslow to Chesterfield one of the worst affected roads I know of!
I know what you mean! I know that road quite well (M&D live in Old Whittington), the first time I used it I thought WTF is this? Talk about bu99ering up your lines into corners.

BL00dy councils with nothing better to do obviously!
Old 17-07-07, 10:17 PM   #9
MiniMatt

Howdy and welcome Oooh, Honda CX500, the only motorcycle with cams made of Cadbury's finest dairy milk chocolate

Not seen many stupidly aggressive rumble strips down in the cotswolds, hell, speed cameras don't last too long down here either before the local farmers get the tractor out and uproot them We do suffer from an incredibly bored police department who, thanks to a low crime rate, really do have nothing better to do than engage in pulling people over if they (a) wear a hoodie (b) look a bit foreign or (c) drive 32mph in a 30 zone
Old 18-07-07, 08:56 AM   #10
RhythmJunkie

Yes Pedro they've been gone some time now. What a ridiculous place to put them, in the braking zone on a bend on an apex on a busy 60mph road????
Who in the council decides where these things are put, an Orang Utan with learning difficulties could do a better job, I bet it would spot the apex danger straight away??