SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-01-19, 02:48 PM   #11
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Front sprocket cover - gunked up behind

Doesn't matter whether you use the top or bottom cable adjuster, they both do the same job. As Adam says, the reach adjuster just changes the angle of the lever, doesn't move the cable, so you need to pull the lever by the same amount to disengage (so setting it to a smaller reach will set the biting point closer to the handlebar). As for gunge, yeah it's not uncommon. Cleaning chains is a waste of time though, even the manufacturers say so. As you can see, everything just flings off - they're self-cleaning because of the lube.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-19, 08:35 PM   #12
Craig380
Mega Poster

You will always get gunge build-up there. You can reduce it a lot by not spraying lube direct onto the chain: instead, put the bike on a paddock stand, spray a little chain lube into the cap of a spray can, and 'paint' it onto the inside run of the chain with a clean 1-inch paintbrush. Spreads the lube around better and means far less overspray and fling-off.

Or, as someone's bound to post in a minute, fit a Scottoiler
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-19, 09:22 PM   #13
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
fit a Scottoiler
Fit a Scottoiler…..
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-19, 10:20 PM   #14
Grim-Lock

on the scottoiler front, i have one and its fantastic with the dual feeder.

however its hardly a "clean" alternative....
Grim-Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-19, 09:37 AM   #15
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
You will always get gunge build-up there. You can reduce it a lot by not spraying lube direct onto the chain: instead, put the bike on a paddock stand, spray a little chain lube into the cap of a spray can, and 'paint' it onto the inside run of the chain with a clean 1-inch paintbrush. Spreads the lube around better and means far less overspray and fling-off.

Painting it on is very sensible - you don't over-apply that way and it minimises the fling onto the back of your number plate and around the front sprocket as Craig says. Having a paddock stand (if you don't already have one) is also sensible for doing some or all of your own maintenance.
Old 31-01-19, 10:00 AM   #16
Kambo

Cheers guys for the info

I've got a paddock stand, thats how I've been applying the chain wax but I let the motor run in first gear and only apply in short bursts every so often at the bottom of the rear sprocket (on the straight) before it starts to go round

I will try the paintbrush method above as I'm not sure if my way has been minimising the fling as I've only had the bike for a three months so its unknown if its ever been cleaned or maintained with two former owners and 52k

I've only come across it as the clutch cable snapped, who knows what else is lurking elsewhere...
Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-19, 10:07 AM   #17
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
Cheers guys for the info

I've got a paddock stand, thats how I've been applying the chain wax but I let the motor run in first gear and only apply in short bursts every so often at the bottom of the rear sprocket (on the straight) before it starts to go round

I will try the paintbrush method above as I'm not sure if my way has been minimising the fling as I've only had the bike for a three months so its unknown if its ever been cleaned or maintained with two former owners and 52k

I've only come across it as the clutch cable snapped, who knows what else is lurking elsewhere...
Do not use the paintbrush method with the engine running & the bike in gear, too many nasty accidents happen that way
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-19, 11:28 AM   #18
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Do not use the paintbrush method with the engine running & the bike in gear, too many nasty accidents happen that way
The 'Tony Iommi'

Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-19, 12:11 PM   #19
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

If you're using a spray then it's best to just spray it onto the chain, on the inside surface, and turn the back wheel by hand. The idea is the solvent in it makes it runny enough to penetrate, then evaporates and leaves the thicker stuff behind. Do it after not before a ride, and for me, once every other tankful unless you're riding in the rain a lot, in which case every tankful, as a rule of thumb. You don't need to drown it though, your back wheel will tell you how heavy-handed you're being.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote