SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-12-04, 04:01 PM   #1
Wiltshire7

Default info needed pls

I fitted oxford heated grips yesterday whch took about 3 hours. relativly painless other than i managed to lose thebit the bar end screws into... lol. i eventually found it actually inside the handle bar, and i super glued it back in place. (hope that holds)

anyway, i left them on all night (as u do) and would u believe it, the battery went flat. (no suprise there really)

I managed to bump start it today and left it to idle for about 15 mins, for it not to work when i turned it off and tried to start it again. so i took it for a ride for 30 mins. it started fine when i got back. my question is this, will the battery be forever giving me greif now?

also, under hard acceleration, around the 10k rev mark all through the first 3 gears, the bike handles started wobbling rather worryingly (sp?). could that have anything to do with what i did to the handle bars? i.e the new grips and messing around with the bar end? although i put the bar end backl as it was before.
or was i just caning it a bit more than i usually do? ive never noticed it do it so badfly in all the gears before. as said, it was around the red line mark.
whats the cheapest way to stop this? other than not going so hard of course

thanks for the tips and advice in advance.
Old 20-12-04, 04:07 PM   #2
Carsick

I've got the oxford grips on mine, never noticed any extra vibes at any revs. Running at 10k is pretty hard, so not overly surprised if it's a bit vibey there.
The battery should be fine once it gets charged up properly.
Either put it on a charger overnight or take it for a nice long ride to be sure, but it probably won't matter.
Old 20-12-04, 04:11 PM   #3
Mr Toad

battery should be fine

the heated grips are a bit larger (ie. wider) than the standard ones - my bike felt very different when I first had the grips fitted, but I've not noticed any extra vibes.

You'll also notice that the right hand grip gets quite a lot hotter than the left due to the insulation effect of the throttle
Old 20-12-04, 04:49 PM   #4
coombest

I don't remember there being any problems with the handling or vibrations, etc.
Mind you... I only had them on for 1 day and about 20 minutes of riding before my bike was written off!

As for having left them on & your battery being flat, why on earth didn't you attach them to a switched 12v supply so it's not possible to do that!!??

I did post how easiest/best to do it on a K3 a couple of weeks ago!
Old 20-12-04, 06:10 PM   #5
Wiltshire7

Quote:
As for having left them on & your battery being flat, why on earth didn't you attach them to a switched 12v supply so it's not possible to do that!!??
Didnt think id be so stupid as to leave it on hehe.

plus i didnt know how to, but ill look it up on your thread to see how hard it is.

as for the handle bars, its not vibes really as much as the wobbleing! as in left right left right. makes it exciting thoug i guess.
Old 20-12-04, 06:22 PM   #6
coombest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiltshire7
Quote:
Didnt think id be so stupid as to leave it on hehe.

plus i didnt know how to, but ill look it up on your thread to see how hard it is.

as for the handle bars, its not vibes really as much as the wobbleing! as in left right left right. makes it exciting thoug i guess.
See, I knew I'd leave mine on if I didn't have them switched!!
I know it's fairly difficult to find the post where I left the tips so It's here!!
HTH
Old 20-12-04, 10:47 PM   #7
Wiltshire7

hm, i might give that a try. just to confirm in my simple mind:

negative to the battery as it is now
positive to the cable that runs from the rear light

is that it? and to connect it to the rear light i cut the connector off the heated grips and use a 3 way connector?

cheers for helping
Old 20-12-04, 10:50 PM   #8
Shooter

Quote:
"also, under hard acceleration, around the 10k rev mark all through the first 3 gears, the bike handles started wobbling rather worryingly (sp?

Wobbling is different to vibrating - maybe your wheels are out of balance
Old 20-12-04, 11:00 PM   #9
Carsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter
Quote:
"also, under hard acceleration, around the 10k rev mark all through the first 3 gears, the bike handles started wobbling rather worryingly (sp?

Wobbling is different to vibrating - maybe your wheels are out of balance
or maybe the grips are too hot and you keep moving your hands and this causes a wobble?
Old 21-12-04, 12:48 AM   #10
coombest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiltshire7
hm, i might give that a try. just to confirm in my simple mind:

negative to the battery as it is now
positive to the cable that runs from the rear light

is that it? and to connect it to the rear light i cut the connector off the heated grips and use a 3 way connector?

cheers for helping

Yeah...

You can use either a three-way (snap-on)connector or you can fit the two wires necessary into the female end of a bullet (15A crimp) connector if you are very careful with the strands of wire, etc!

If you get stuck, give mw a shout"