SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-12-08, 01:36 PM   #1
Magnum

Default Do you actually keep your bike in the garage?

I've been getting some insurance quotes with theft cover. If i keep the bike in the garage its not a bad price. BUT if i keep it in the garden (off the road) the price is a lot more.

Keeping the Bike in my garage is not a possibility, and won't ever be.

If you have a garage, do you just say to the insurance company it's in the garage even if it's not?
Old 08-12-08, 01:38 PM   #2
hovis

Default Re: Do you actually keep your bike in the garage?

tricky one

mine is always in the garage, unless im away for the weekend, overnight, and with my last ins company, my bike was not insured if it got stolen from outside my house........... as it should not be outside my house,it should be in garage....... even if it was just for 5 mins

so i used to park it outside the shop, which was 4 houses away, if i was just poping home

Last edited by hovis; 08-12-08 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-12-08, 01:42 PM   #3
Gazza77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I've been getting some insurance quotes with theft cover. If i keep the bike in the garage its not a bad price. BUT if i keep it in the garden (off the road) the price is a lot more.

Keeping the Bike in my garage is not a possibility, and won't ever be.

If you have a garage, do you just say to the insurance company it's in the garage even if it's not?
Mine is kept in the garage and insured as such.

However, when I first got a bike, I got two quotes for comparison; one as bike in garage, one as bike in back yard. If the bike was stolen from my home address when not in the garage, the excess was an extra £250 on top of the standard policy excess. To insure the bike as kept outside was a standard excess and around £400 more for the policy itself.

If I had kept it outside, I know what I'd have been doing with the insurance....

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-08, 01:43 PM   #4
AndyW

Keep mine in the garage and its a real pain in the butt. There is a clause if bike is parked within 1/4 mile (ish) of house and stolen (i.e. not in garage) they won't pay.
This includes leaving bike outside for 5 mins while nipping in to get something I forgot when I set out.
Also, as my garage is only just big enough for car, can't fit both in, so car permanently sat in the drive now.
Old 08-12-08, 01:45 PM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Kept in the garage and the insurance company have it insured as such. One my house purchase requirements was for a house with a garage...

I think you'd be up sh*te creak with out a padel if you told them it was garaged and then it got knicked and they discovered that you dont even own a garage.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-08, 02:09 PM   #6
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Kept in the garage and the insurance company have it insured as such. One my house purchase requirements was for a house with a garage...

I think you'd be up sh*te creak with out a padel if you told them it was garaged and then it got knicked and they discovered that you dont even own a garage.
+1

My house's garage was in ruins when we bought it. I made it clear to the other half that we would need to factor in the money to completely renovate it as part of the "cost" of the house. I have garaged a bike over a mile away from where I lived (rented garage across town) in the past, but would never do this again. In future, I'll only move to a house that has a garage/planning permission for one to be built. In a way, I'd prefer the latter; I'd love to design/build a garage from the foundations up next time and just make it absolutely perfect.
Old 08-12-08, 02:10 PM   #7
madness

What exactly constitutes a 'garage'? I'm going to build a 'bike shed' in the near future. It will be purpose built to store the bike. Will I be able to claim the bike is garaged?
Old 08-12-08, 02:13 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Depends. Some say brick built
Old 08-12-08, 02:18 PM   #9
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
What exactly constitutes a 'garage'? I'm going to build a 'bike shed' in the near future. It will be purpose built to store the bike. Will I be able to claim the bike is garaged?
insurance company will probably ask you what its made of?

if they dont ask, and you dont tell them and its made of wood/cardboard/etc, i dont think they will payout
Old 08-12-08, 02:19 PM   #10
madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Depends. Some say brick built
Surely no matter what a garage is built of, anyone breaking in will more than likely break in via the door.