SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-07-07, 06:01 PM   #1
Jelster

Default New Hornet

I had to take the 'Blade in for its MOT today and arranged to take the new Hornet out for a test ride.

I must say that it sounds pretty good with the standard can, so would probably sound great with an after market jobby.

First observations; the clocks are nice, decent sized tacho with a digital speedo, temp gauge, clock, trip meter and a proper fuel gauge too. The seating position is comfortable, quite upright, more so than the slightl forward position of a naked SV.

Pegs are a little further forward than I expected but I soon got used to them. Like most of the modern Japanese nakeds, the bars could do with being a bit wider, but nothing that a set of Renthals couldn't sort out. Mirrors were good and the switch gear was fine.

First job was to get it out of Chiswick Honda's busy car park, which was really easy as the bike is so easy to manoeuvre. Straight out and into the Saturday afternoon traffic . I haven't ridden a naked since I killed my Sv, over a year ago, but I soon felt got used to it and filtering was a sinch.

Up onto the M4 and I started to open it up a bit. It's been a while since I've ridden a 600 too and kept looking for another gear, but there's only 6 . Must give it more revs then. It's quite sedate until you hit 9k, then it starts to come alive; at 10k it gives you a bit of a shove and off it goes to the 14k redline (I think it's 14k). Peak power is made at 12k, max torque at just of 10k.

One thing that did strike me was how little wind blast I was getting at high speed (over 100mph), which was quite pleasing. Brakes work pretty well, 2 fingers quickly bring it down from 70 without too much effort.

Although the suspension is a bit softer than what I'm used to, it was more than adequate, I was hanging the bike in to roundabouts faster than I should have been and it stayed on line. It felt very stable and offered a very comfortable ride. That said, the seat felt a bit hard, but again, nothing that isn't easily sorted.

Taking it around some of the back roads it came in to its own. Just keep the revs up and all you need to do is twist. Car after car were taken without the need to change gear. 2nd & 3rd are pretty good fun and when your over 10k they provide quite a bit of engine braking.

A few of my favourite roundabouts were taken as quick as I do on the 'Blade (well it felt like it) and you get that real sense of leaning on a naked bike. Give the bars a push and over it goes, quickly and predictable.

Unfortunately time got the better of us and we had to return to Chiswick all to soon....

My opinion ?

It's a great bike. I know it's more expensive than the SV but to be fair they don't really compare. The Hornet is in another class. It's sharper, more modern, has better suspension and brakes and of course, more power. But it is about a grand more, which is 25% on a £4,000 SV...

Would I have one ? Well, I keep thinking about changing the 'Blade for something with a little more "relaxed" riding position, but I'd miss the torque of my 954cc engine. Rumour has it that 2008 will see a Hornet equipped with the 1000cc Fireblade engine. Now that may really tempt me.

Old 07-07-07, 06:05 PM   #2
Jabba

Default Re: New Hornet

Great write up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelster View Post
Rumour has it that 2008 will see a Hornet equipped with the 1000cc Fireblade engine. Now that may really tempt me.
And me
Old 08-07-07, 11:37 AM   #3
gettin2dizzy

And those exhaust downpipes look gorgeous! I always liked the noise the hornets made, especially induction wise.
Old 08-07-07, 01:42 PM   #4
DanAbnormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelster View Post
Would I have one ? Well, I keep thinking about changing the 'Blade for something with a little more "relaxed" riding position, but I'd miss the torque of my 954cc engine. Rumour has it that 2008 will see a Hornet equipped with the 1000cc Fireblade engine. Now that may really tempt me.

You all should know by now how much I love the Hornet and this write up sums up why. In a league of it's own, it really winds me up when people say Honda's are bland without actually having a half decent explanation. Predicatable and great fun is what this bike is about. If a 2008 version with a 1000cc lump is abound then I may have to postpone my Speed/Street Triple potential purchase.

Awesome review Jelster.
Old 08-07-07, 02:08 PM   #5
markmoto

Yup very nice looking bike i had a 99 hornet and that was quite good but honda has made it look amazing the upside downies are just what she needed aswell.
Old 09-07-07, 07:13 AM   #6
Jelster

Had an email this morning from a mate I used to work with. His old 919cc 'Blade was written off when a truck reversed over it. He's just invetsed in the new Hornet, a black one and paid for a set of Renthals to be fitted.

Says he tried it once and was hooked. Went a tried 3 or 4 other bikes, including a used SV1000N but kept coming back to the Hornet. I'm convinced that they really have got the package right here, and it would make great "next bike" from an SV too.

So those that haven't tried one, book a test and see what you think, there's no commitment to buy. I'd be interested in what a few others thought.

Old 09-07-07, 07:53 AM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

Shinsing Jtsus got one. I rode his demo bike, and i was impressed.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 08:01 AM   #8
Steve H

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganDan View Post
You all should know by now how much I love the Hornet and this write up sums up why. In a league of it's own, it really winds me up when people say Honda's are bland without actually having a half decent explanation. Predicatable and great fun is what this bike is about. If a 2008 version with a 1000cc lump is abound then I may have to postpone my Speed/Street Triple potential purchase.

Awesome review Jelster.
He was talking about the new one though Dan!
Old 09-07-07, 08:24 AM   #9
markmoto

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xN74Pm...de=user&search= check this out promotional video for the new hornet.
Old 09-07-07, 09:37 AM   #10
andyb

Why oh why do you people have to do this! I was seriously thinking of getting a Hornet a couple of weeks ago but managed to talk myself out of it by convincing myself that the SV is all that I need for a while.....now you've got me thinking again!