SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-12-18, 10:24 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Smart phones

As I have mentioned before, I do not own a smart phone. I have nothing against them but I only use my cell phone once in two weeks so a smart phone would be a waste. I do like the idea of having a satnav feature or even a camera since my £12 Tesco phone doesn't have one.

Having said all that, I do not understand a news article that says:
"This company built the best looking smart phone we've ever seen, even better than the iPhone".

It is a "Find X" and here it is:

As I see it, it is a slim rectangle with rounded corners as opposed to an iPhone which is a slim rectangle with rounded corners. I should point out that I have wandered around the Getty Museum looking for "nice" pictures, so I may be artistically challenged. What am I not seeing?

Here's a link to the article: https://www.businessinsider.com/oppo...photos-2018-11
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-18, 10:36 AM   #2
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Smart phones

Reviewers spend too much time looking at the minutiae of smart phones. You only need to ask two things; does it do what you need and do you like it.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-18, 02:10 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

its all consumer claptrap and brain washing.... just like designer clothes. if you dont have the latest "in fashion" then your a lesser human being....

no your just a brain washed moron who is conditioned to be how you are.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-18, 06:29 PM   #4
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I would be lost without my phone.

It's my diary, my email, my sat nav, my torch, my bank, my way to pay when I don't have a wallet on me and to pay parking fees, it's my always with me camera. I use it to shop, chat to friends, keep in touch with family, plot my walks, set my Sky to record if I'm running late and I can watch TV on it. I check if trains and buses are running on time, keep up with all the cricket scores, see the news, read a book, listen to the radio, music and podcasts, guide me through a meditation or yoga session, order my prescriptions, get discounts on meals out and recipes when I'm stuck for inspiration for dinner. Very very occasionally I use it to make a phone call, but even that is usually to my bloke in Cuba via WhatsApp which I couldn't do on a landline.

I don't understand how some people can't see the point of smart phones, though I don't rush out to get a new model, I upgrade every few years as my contract allows.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 27-12-18, 06:37 PM   #5
SV650rules
Mega Poster

The only sensible shape for a phone is rectangular with rounded corners, it you make it square you don't get the choice of portrait or landscape screen, if you put sharp corners on it stupid people hurt themselves and sue you...

Apple has marketing down to a fine art ( bit like BMW) - 'it is not a phone, it is a lifestyle and it says a lot about you' LOL

Apple bring a new phone out every year around September ( just in time for all the hype to set in in time for Christmas sales - its like they are a pop group looking for xmas #1 )

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-18, 06:37 PM   #6
ophic
Mega Poster

Useful multipurpose tools. Some see them as fashion accessories. Reviewers and sellers know that the people that buy them most often fall into the latter category.

I mean you wouldn't buy a gold plated socket set... or would you...?
Old 27-12-18, 07:23 PM   #7
yokohama

Rounded corners, square corners, who cares? Once it's wearing a case, (which is necessary because those shiny rectangles are slippery, easy to drop and very fragile) the corners and aesthetics are hidden anyway.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-18, 07:42 PM   #8
Talking Heads

Some guys at work find it essential to own very expensive smart phones (£1000-1450) purely so they can tell other colleagues exactly how much money they cost.
Then I challenge them to tell me what their expensive smart phone can do that my £80 one can't.
******s.
Recently I was being shown a "4k" screen (whatever that is) on the latestest most expensivest iPhone.
Guy was showing me the TV streaming quality but it had a picture of five tories on the news story at the time.
I told him his phone was ****e and mine was much better because there was no way there would ever be tories on mine.....
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-18, 08:25 PM   #9
maviczap
Mega Poster

After getting some Amazon vouchers and taking out an Amazon credit card, my latest Chinese smart phone cost me £56

It's faster than my previous phone, which had fried itself doing to many tasks at once, and was never the same after that episode.

It saved my bacon this month as I was able to book a hotel in Paris for £41 instead of paying Eurostar 141€. Plus I'd downloaded the Metro app, so planning a route to our emergency hotel was a piece of cake, and finding it using Google maps saved loads of stress.

I use my smart phone all the time at work, lots of useful apps that really do make my life easier
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-18, 10:13 PM   #10
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Although I am not welded to mine like so many people seem to be I do like to have it with me. I don't use it for quite all of the features LPH does but I do like the Geocaching app that lets me easily hunt down hidden things wherever I go and I have widened my musical tastes a lot since getting a full Spotify account.