SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-01-19, 03:23 PM   #41
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: to all the workers, a message from the bosses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
due to the public not being told the truth.

think of it this way.. lets say BT supply 20,000,000 UK households with a phone line and charge £10 a month on "line rental" thats £2,400,000,000 a year on line rental alone. even if the Gov end up making £2,000,000 a year profit then thats still better than nothing. all privatised companies are interested in is profit to keep their "share holders" happy, i'll rephrase that "executives" rich and happy.

the public are not told this when all the privatisation was going on. instead the Gov made a quick buck to keep the wolves from the door.

so what are they going to sell next so they can keep the payments going on the ever increasing national debt....... the public no longer have a grip on their politicians who will now do as they please.
yeah that wasn't the intended question.

Why do public sector companies seem to fail?
Old 07-01-19, 03:55 PM   #42
Heorot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
yeah that wasn't the intended question.

Why do public sector companies seem to fail?
If you have ever worked in the public sector, as I have, you would know the answer to that question. It's the dead hand of bureaucracy and the influence of the public sector unions. I worked for over 20 companies before I retired and only one was in the public sector. The contrast between the efficiency of the private sector and the public is marked. Believe it or not, when I got a promotion in the public sector, it had to be approved by Unison before I got the job. And it was just a move from general clerical to claims handling, nothing exceptional.

The reason I worked for so many companies is that for 25 years I was a freelance IT professional.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-19, 04:02 PM   #43
ophic
Mega Poster

Never had the "pleasure", although Miss Ophic worked in teaching for a long time.

I suspected it was along these lines. It doesn't sound like something that's intrinsic to any public sector company though - just the way they have ended up.

I mean, in theory, public and private sector follow the same rules, right? Employment law is the same for both.
Old 07-01-19, 04:03 PM   #44
Bibio
Mega Poster

not all of them fail and if they do its due to not putting the correct "management" in charge of them. some of them are there to "serve the public" and are as such non profit for which the public pay for out the coffers.

think of it this way for every company that is nationalised and makes profit is less the public has to pay for and as such receives lower living costs and better public services as they are cheeper. if not cheeper then even more of the profits go back into the coffers for public services or pays to "support/top up" the less profitable ones. privatisation the coffers go into "fat cats" pockets or with whats happening at the moment "foreign investors or Gov's" pockets.

privatisation was to be better and cheeper for the public... that was what Thatcher said but she also put 10p on a ltr of fuel and promised to remove road tax... yes i'm old and can remember.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-19, 04:09 PM   #45
ophic
Mega Poster

I'm thinking difference of ethos.

For private companies, it's make profit or die.

For public companies, it's run the service. Oh it's not making a profit? Doesn't matter we can survive that way because we're backed by public coffers, and hence we can limp along really inefficiently until the gov't takes some action.
Old 07-01-19, 05:42 PM   #46
Bibio
Mega Poster

ermm before branson pickle was the east coast line not making profit as i seem to remember that someone else was running it then the Gov had to step in and then was one of the only rail lines actually making profit but the Gov in its wisdom sold it.... again

public transport should be one thing that should not be in private hands... its called PUBLIC transport for a reason.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-19, 06:01 PM   #47
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Companies would alter their ownership structure and would still shunt their profits to the lowest taxation country. All of the large IT companies I have worked for do this - the UK operating (Ltd) company would be owned by, say, the Irish operating country who would "charge" the UK a % of their revenue. This meant the UK made a loss, paid little or no UK corporation tax, and all of the profits were then held in Ireland which at the time had a very low CT rate. This is what all large corporates do. A simple paper shuffling job and some formal board minutes is all it takes to "sell" the UK operating company to, say, Lichtenstein who will then be ones to hold all the profits. Small companies cannot do this and will be the ones that suffer if UK CT rates go up - they'll either go bust, reduce their workforce or just about scrape by. The Treasury may get a little more cash but it may deter entrepreneurs from setting up new companies and the economy may stagnate which defeats the object. It's a very difficult balancing act for successive governments who all try to encourage growth by lowering CT rates while trying to preserve incomes from it. Glad I don't have the headache of setting fiscal policies.
Yep I used to work for a company that gave us a share of the UK profits as a bonus. Every thing we exported was sold to a Co in the Cayman Is who then sold it on. I'll leave you to estimate my bonus.
Old 07-01-19, 06:16 PM   #48
Heorot

Councils get fat over time. The council I worked for was hit by government cuts 5 years ago. Hard decisions on staffing had to be made and as a result, 50 middle managers in the Social Services dept. alone were made redundant with no apparent reduction in services to the public. Job losses were spread across most departments with little noticeable effect.

In another example, around 35 years ago, Northamptonshire County Council shed a third of its middle managers and for a time was one of the best run councils in the country (a friend was one of the managers that remained employed). In 2018, that same council was essentially bankrupt due to bloated management and reckless spending.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver

Last edited by Heorot; 07-01-19 at 06:17 PM.
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 01:54 PM   #49
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post

For private companies, it's make profit or die.

For public companies, it's run the service. Oh it's not making a profit? Doesn't matter we can survive that way because we're backed by public coffers, and hence we can limp along really inefficiently until the gov't takes some action.

This bears out my observations as well. Worked at one of our contracts where a lot of the people were ex civil servants who were on TUPE terms. As far as they were concerned they were still public employees as their rights to a guaranteed pay increase, their final salary pension, and all their other perks were "untouchable". You could tell which of the people around you were which as the rest of us were trying to make things work better and the former civil lot ignored us, refused to change anything, claiming it works fine as it is so why change. They insisted on just moving paper about between ten people when two and a new process could do it in half the time. The joke is there were so many thing they could pick up that were not being done at all so there was never any suggestion of redundancies - they simply did not care a jot. You never get that sort of complacency in the private sector, thankfully, as it would have driven me nuts years ago. In the past five years I have been contracting I have refused to work in the public sector for exactly this reason. I know this is not representative of all public workers but that lot put me right off!

If we re-nationalise some of the industries sold off you can bet your backside most of them will slide straight back to their old ways again.
Old 08-01-19, 02:33 PM   #50
Luckypants
Mega Poster

I worked at National Power during the and after the privatisation process. The difference between the old CEGB staffers and new intake was chalk and cheese. Ever have someone get up in the middle of a meeting and say they are going home because it is 4 o'clock?

But I'm convinced it is due to management style and expectation setting, as those with a bit of nouse quickly adapted to the new hardware / software / regime and made a success of their careers. (Those that didn't were offered eye wateringly good redundancy packages until the die hard refusniks who thought they were untouchable were given compulsory redundancy on MUCH reduced terms.) New management gave the department focus and goals, which we achieved through hard work and the ones who went with the change enjoyed the new ethos tremendously. The old CEGB management were side-lined and moved on ASAP as part of privatisation.

Nationalised companies can work and do work in many countries. You need dynamic managers to lead these organisations so they compete with the private sector. Being good at what you do and efficient while doing it will make a nationalised enterprise unattractive to private investors as there is little to no fat to trim off for profit.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote