SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-11-18, 10:38 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Music that has followed you.

I suppose I like and have liked a varied selection of music over the years.

Mamas&thePapas, Paul Simon, Jethro Tull, Meatloaf, Kate Bush, Dire Straits, Don Mclean, Queen, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Peter Gabriel and many more.

One band I have followed from being a teen is "Yes", I've been to 7 or 8 of their concerts and own many of their albums.

Out of all their albums (21 studio and many other compilations, live albums etc) the one I return to the most is the critically panned "Tales from Topographic Oceans".

Supposedly about the Indian Shastras (holy books) but called psychedelic doodling by Rolling Stone and something a lot less flattering by Rick Wakeman who left the band after making it.

There are 4 tracks on the double album so they're long. I tend to listen to 3 of them:

1) The Revealing Science of God
2) The Remembering
skip track 3 usually because I'm not fond of sitar music
4) Ritual (Nous Sommes du Soleil)

the last track has a line that haunts me:

"change we must as surely time does, changes call the course"
As someone that has always resisted change, I recall this line frequently and try and go with the change instead of fighting it.

Over the years this album has dragged me out of black moods many times so, despite its pretentious credentials, I'm pleased they made it, it still gives me goosebumps.

What music stirs or has affected you?
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-18, 03:18 PM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Music that has followed you.

Im not a real "fan" or a music anorak but if Im in the car or just fancy listening to something the Rolling Stones are usually fairly high on the list. Ive always liked them and been to see them a few times. Favourites are Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street or one of the live compilations like Bridges to Babylon or Ya Yas.
Others include The Who (Who's Next, Live at Leeds) Led Zep, The Kinks, Free, Bad Company and Donny Osmond. OK I lied about Donny Osmond
Old 25-11-18, 09:18 AM   #3
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I guess the musician that runs consistently through my life is Damon Albarn. He was a local with his band Seymour when I first saw them play at the live music nights me and a few mates used to organise at the local YMCA.

Then they became Blur, and while I was mostly into grunge and rock I always liked them, saw them play quite a few times over the years, and felt he really knew how to capture a mood.

I always liked Tank Girl so when he got together with Jamie Hewlett to create Gorillaz and did some really interesting collaborations I found I was enjoying year as much as Blur.

His solo album really hit home, he sang about growing up in Essex and then being based in Notting Hill, drug dabbling and finding solace in the countryside which pretty much mirrors my own life. I managed to get to bus live show at the Royal Albert Hall in 2014 at a time when I was very unwell, it was one of the best gigs I've been too.

The Good The Bad and The Queen albums are his love letters to Britain, and I'm seeing them live next week.

I love the way he collaborates with everyone from Snoop Dog to Shaun Ryder and Mavis Staples via Africa Express and a sweet song about a baby elephant. He did a Chinese opera, a middle England musical about Dr Dee and a modern musical based on Alice in Wonderland.

So if I ever did Desert Island Discs I could quite easily do 8 tracks just from his different projects.

Watch the world spinning, gently out of time...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 26-11-18, 12:08 PM   #4
Talking Heads

Bob Dylan, the guy is a genius.
Saw him live in 1994, a truly memorable experience.
My favourite song of his, Masters of War.

One of my favouritest things to do in life is lie in the bath and sing other artists songs in the vocal styles of Bob Dylan.
Amuses me greatly, drives the wife nuts.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-18, 12:34 PM   #5
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Dylan I like but only in small doses-----favourite album-----Street Legal
Same applies to Janis Joplin------powerful stuff but only a bit at a time thanks.
Tina Turner I can listen to all day.One of the great female singers. Saw her at Wembley on her "final tour" which wasnt. John Fogerty supporting.No connection to World Superbikes
Old 26-11-18, 09:58 PM   #6
maviczap
Mega Poster

Ever since my sister returned from her army posting in Germany, and left her LP collection for me to explore, then o discovered Bruce Springsteen with the first play of Born to Run and The River albums.
Ever since I've followed him, with a brief hiatus when he split with the E Street band and his music wasn't the same.
When he goes on tour, I go to as many shows as possible, both here and in Europe, always a great adventure.
I started off with Elton John's and still like his early stuff, before 1984.
It could all have been totally different if my sister had bought me David Bowie's Aladdin Sane I'd asked her to, and not the soundtrack from Stardust
Still like my Zeppelin, some Floyd, AC/DC
But the majority on my car stereo is Springsteen
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote