SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-12-18, 11:29 AM   #3621
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
why were you shaking it side to side

?
I wasn't?
How do you mean?

I mean you can see how when I first started using it a couple of years ago the bolt that holds the moving arm to the lower beam (with the black thumbscrew on it) made a mark in one spot. As it's bent gradually over time with each use that mark has moved a mm or two to the right, eventually creating a line along the lower beam where the bolt clamps down on it. If it was a miss-use of the stand (that caused a sudden bend) then that mark would suddenly jump place along the beam rather than creating an even steady line along it over time.

It would take a hell of a lot of force to bend it the amount it was out by in one go from mis-using it! Trying to get it back into shape was impossible. Even in a fully kitted out fabricators workshop with heavy machinery they had to put a slit in the weld to weaken it to be able to bend it back and then reweld it.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-18, 11:35 AM   #3622
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

The length of the line I'm talking about corresponds exactly to how far out the bent arm was... highlighted in the yellow rectangle....

Last edited by Adam Ef; 02-12-18 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-12-18, 12:15 PM   #3623
Bibio
Mega Poster

i think i might know why your abba stand bent like that. your lifting the bike on the corner with the handle. what you should do is put the bike upright then lift the bike by the handle.

with the abba stand there is no need to tighten the knobs/bolts like gorillas in garages doing up wheel nuts. it only takes enough pressure so it wont move.

have you tried the modified stand on your bike yet? i have a sneaky suspicion that the gusset might interfere with some plastics.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-18, 12:21 PM   #3624
Bibio
Mega Poster

for being a plonker.

was checking a euromillions ticket i got at beginning of november (no i never one) and was curious to what the prize winnings were. to my discovery you get money for having two numbers or one number and two stars etc.etc. i was under the impression it was like the lotto where prizes only started after 3 numbers.

i'm pretty sure that i have thrown loads of tickets out that were winners.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-18, 01:34 PM   #3625
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post

with the abba stand there is no need to tighten the knobs/bolts like gorillas in garages doing up wheel nuts. it only takes enough pressure so it wont move.

have you tried the modified stand on your bike yet? i have a sneaky suspicion that the gusset might interfere with some plastics.

I'm always very concious of not tightening too much. Maufacturers usually put levers and knobs on things that are sized to make it difficult to over tighten. I always assumed that was why the Abba tightening handle was small, so you can't over tighten.

I've tried the stand and it works well. The gusset is the perfect position for the front lift bracket to slide across to be in the perfect position lined up with the rear swingarm. So a handy guide for how far to slide that bracket on too.

The guy who welded it had already done one before and the first thing he mentioned was making the gusset the right size to not be in the way.

All good.
Old 03-12-18, 08:03 AM   #3626
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
?
I wasn't?
How do you mean?

I mean you can see how when I first started using it a couple of years ago the bolt that holds the moving arm to the lower beam (with the black thumbscrew on it) made a mark in one spot. As it's bent gradually over time with each use that mark has moved a mm or two to the right, eventually creating a line along the lower beam where the bolt clamps down on it. If it was a miss-use of the stand (that caused a sudden bend) then that mark would suddenly jump place along the beam rather than creating an even steady line along it over time.

It would take a hell of a lot of force to bend it the amount it was out by in one go from mis-using it! Trying to get it back into shape was impossible. Even in a fully kitted out fabricators workshop with heavy machinery they had to put a slit in the weld to weaken it to be able to bend it back and then reweld it.
Pass. Don't remember posting that
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-18, 06:11 PM   #3627
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Successfully fitted a new rear tyre today. All balanced and ready to go back on . The first tubeless one /decent sized one I've done.

All went surprisingly well. Just got the front to swap now once the back end of the bike is back together.

Looking forward to seeing how different PR4 rubber is to the old flatted off Maxxis wet weather nightmares that I had on there.
Old 04-12-18, 06:20 PM   #3628
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I'm running pr4's on my VFR. They're very good in the wet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-18, 06:34 PM   #3629
shiftin_gear98

Love my pr4s, and I find the front tyre way more of a git to fit than I do the rear. Still I've only done about 4 sets now. Their getting kinda easier each time, but it'd help if it wasn't 6 month's apart.

Last edited by shiftin_gear98; 06-12-18 at 10:42 AM.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-18, 11:57 PM   #3630
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
Love my pr4s, and I find the front tyre way more of a git to fit than I do the rear. Still I've only done about 4 sets now. There getting kinda easier each time, but it'd help if it wasn't 6 month's apart.
I had a PR4 just on the front but it went charging into a minibus.

They do say it can be risky, mixing tyres