SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-09-04, 08:49 AM   #1
Dirty Baz

Default brake light not working with rear pedal

Hi folks, been away for a wee while, hope everyone is well.

I got my rear brake level replaced after my knockhill tarmac encounter and I've just realised the brake light ain't coming on when I press the new lever.

What could be causing this??? Can someone explain how the light is activated when the pedal is pressed and I'll see if there is a problem there. Could it be a fuse or is it one fuse for the brake lights regardless of which lever is pressed. I'm too busy at the moment to take it back to the garage where I got my service!!! (yes, I paid £100 for the 4k service )

Thanks in advance.

ps. the brake light still works with the front brake thankfully.
Old 17-09-04, 09:17 AM   #2
Bonart

At the back of the pedal there should be a lever a spring should be attached, this will lead up towards the top of the bike to the brake light switch which you should be able to adjust up or down, this determines when the light comes on depending if the correct adjustment has been done.
Old 17-09-04, 09:20 AM   #3
Flamin_Squirrel

Sounds like activation switch needs adjusting, which is easy to fix. Appologies in advance for the poor description, hope you can follow...

There will be a spring (besides the one that brings the pedal back up) that runs from the brake lever straight up to a black cylindrical peice of plastic - this is the brake light switch assembly. You'll know if you're looking at the right bit because you'll see the spring running to the bottom of the assembly and a wire running from the top of it.

If you look down at the top you should see the assembly has a black plastic nut around it. Just use a spanner (12mm I think) to turn the nut, and this will raise and lower the switch - altering how much the brake needs to come on before the brake light activates. I cant remember off hand which way you'll need to turn the nut, but I'm sure you'll work it out. Adjust untill you're happy
Old 17-09-04, 09:39 AM   #4
Dirty Baz

thanks chaps.

a job for tomorrow.
Old 17-09-04, 11:04 AM   #5
BURNER

If the switch itself is knackered you can get banjo bolts with integral switches. Just another little bolt on to add to the list
Old 17-09-04, 08:04 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Anyone know if the switch is the same for the K3s and earlier bikes? I've got a spare if it is...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-04, 08:18 PM   #7
rukus

Baz,

If your bike's anything like mine (and it is... a K3 ) you may find that the right hand footpeg bracket (stock rearset) is warped following your mishap. When I snapped my right footpeg off, the hole in the bracket that the peg goes through got 'warped' and the bracket bent slightly. THis led to the end of the peg that the spring attaches to being slightly higher than before the crash, therefore not sparking the light when the brake is applied. It's not a problem, the brake just needs adjusting as mentioned by Bonart and Flaming Sq. Just thought I'd let you know as it may be worth checking your bracket for more damage than mine sustained, just in case it's a danger to you.

Cheers

Ruk
Old 18-09-04, 09:04 PM   #8
svpilot

The spring could have popped off. Mine did just before the MOT.
Oh, and make sure the exhuast is cool before you stick your head down there to check!
Old 20-09-04, 01:36 PM   #9
Dirty Baz

Well, the cowboys at Mickey Oates Motorcycle, Glasgow seem to have forgot to hook up the spring when they fitted the new pedal. Either that or the spring came loose.

So that's it fixed. Thanks guys.