SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-10-10, 08:56 AM   #1
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Default What makes a good company intranet

We've decided to re-launch our company intranet as it's never kept up to date so no one uses it. We're talking to staff about what they would like it to feature but I thought I'd throw this one open to any of you who use an intranet at work or work in IT to see what you think works really well and perhaps what doesn't.

We'll have staff profiles, new starters, daily updtes about events going on, the staff canteen menu and a useful documents folder for things like sickness and holiday forms. But if you can make any further suggestions then please post them up.

For info, we are a huge cricket ground, so not one big office block where everyone sits in cubicles in one building. Geographiclly we are spread over a large site and this in itself can hamper our internal communications. And the age range of our staff is 17 to 76!

Thanks
Old 14-10-10, 09:21 AM   #2

Default Re: What makes a good company intranet

space to put adverts to shift unwanted items,
Old 14-10-10, 09:24 AM   #3
BigBaddad

Workers Wives.
Old 14-10-10, 09:25 AM   #4
Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819 View Post
space to put adverts to shift unwanted items,
we have this on our pinboard and it works well.

Company policies
Feedback
vacancy list
Old 14-10-10, 09:28 AM   #5
The Guru

Company telephone directory/useful numbers
Old 14-10-10, 09:29 AM   #6
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
We've decided to re-launch our company intranet as it's never kept up to date so no one uses it. We're talking to staff about what they would like it to feature but I thought I'd throw this one open to any of you who use an intranet at work or work in IT to see what you think works really well and perhaps what doesn't.

We'll have staff profiles, new starters, daily updtes about events going on, the staff canteen menu and a useful documents folder for things like sickness and holiday forms. But if you can make any further suggestions then please post them up.

For info, we are a huge cricket ground, so not one big office block where everyone sits in cubicles in one building. Geographiclly we are spread over a large site and this in itself can hamper our internal communications. And the age range of our staff is 17 to 76!

Thanks
Make it easy to update and use.

Make it possible to just email stuff to the site, whether that be little twitter-like comments or status mesages or important information.

If you can make the interface the same as what people already use and are familiar with then you are a lot of the way to winning the battle.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-10, 10:06 AM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

A good easy menu system to find stuff. The L&G one is awkward to find tihings like forms, details about people in departments, who to see about what, etc. It can also be vauge in areas. Thiers is used to advertise what the company is doing in the work place, and putting articles etc. Which i can find on their website. The intranet should be about the people, the internal runnings of the company, stuff going on and as i say a nice simple area for useful items that you may need to do you job on a daily basis. The org charts on their intranet took me ages to find. Oh and a search that actually works.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-10, 10:11 AM   #8
timwilky
Mega Poster

Firstly take overall control out of the communications department. Empower individual departments to manage/update their own areas.

There should be no broken links, information should be accurate and upto date. Archive off obsolete information etc.

Make it the single source for your policy documents, news, indexes, links to internal wikis etc.
Old 14-10-10, 10:12 AM   #9
davepreston

a who to go to section
eg who's your fire marshall, first aiders, report faults too

joke of the day
Old 14-10-10, 02:00 PM   #10
warrenhewitt10

ours has those dilbert things, simple but gives you a smile in the morning when you turn the computer on