SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-04-08, 05:14 PM   #1
skyline

Default Knocking noise @ chain?

Hi all

I took my bike out for a ride, and at the end I heard a knocking/clicking type sound as I was rolling the bike into the garage.

It seemed to be coming from the chain area/ front sprocket/back sprocket area. It's most apparent if I'm slowly rotating the wheel and then quietens down a bit as the wheel goes faster. Also, you could "feel" the knocking through the wheel as you rotate it.

However, after leaving the bike for a bit the noise seemed to quieten down for the most part.

My question is (sorry for the rambling post) is this a normal mechanical noise or is it something that needs sorting? I'm guessing it might be coming from the chain itself. My Dad's bike (a Honda CB1) makes the same kind of noise but quieter.

Also, while going on about the chain, is there a "proper" way to look after it other than pouring lube on it all the time? I've been using quite heavy duty stuff on it (PJ1 Black Label) so maybe to much of it on the chain is causing the noise? I've got chain cleaner but I've heard about it causing the chain to rust if the chain's not relubed quick enough afterwards?

Thanks all
Old 01-04-08, 05:20 PM   #2
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: Knocking noise @ chain?

Looking after your chain is best done by removing the lube with paraffin (aka kerosene), letting that dry off, then putting on lube. The paraffin will remove all the old stuff, and get that chain shiny and looking new, ready to absorb fresh lube into all its nooks and crannies

Dont forget to check chain tension too

Matt
Old 01-04-08, 05:32 PM   #3
ASM-Forever

I like philbuts method. Just get some 3-in-1 and then attack the chain with a toothbrush. It might not shine like a tarts hand bag, however its less effort and the chain will be really well oiled.
Old 02-04-08, 12:38 PM   #4
skyline

Cheers people

So cleaning the chain with the paraffin will help with that knocking noise?

I was looking at the new Demon Tweeks catalogue yesterday and found one of these...

http://www.thefastone.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=526943

Would this be any good or just a waste of cash?
Old 02-04-08, 01:26 PM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Bit more expensive than a toothbrush that
Old 02-04-08, 01:35 PM   #6
sinbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline View Post
Cheers people

So cleaning the chain with the paraffin will help with that knocking noise?

I was looking at the new Demon Tweeks catalogue yesterday and found one of these...

http://www.thefastone.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=526943

Would this be any good or just a waste of cash?
I was bought one as a gift when I first got the bike, and it's satisfactory, but I wouldn't buy one myself and I don't actually use mine. You also need to put a lot of liquid through it as the chain goes through, the brushes get filthy quickly and unless you have pint after pint of cleaner going in and out it's largely ineffective. If you can manage that, though, then eventually it does a good job, and there's little or no mess.

I tend to use toothbrushes now, and paraffin, and rags, and a cardboard box that I hang from the swing arm which I've cut to go in behind the chain in order to catch the spatter.
Old 02-04-08, 04:43 PM   #7
jambo
Mega Poster

Cleaning asnd lubing the chain's a good start. Next check the chain tension, make sure you do this with the bike on a rear padock stand or it's side stand so there's some load on the rear wheel/swingarm. You want to roll the rear wheel and check the tension at all spots, sometimes it's just fine in one place and very diferent at another due to stiff links.

HTH

Jambo
Old 02-04-08, 05:37 PM   #8
ejohnh

I had that knocking sound when a first got the bike. It was a stiff link in the chain. Cleaning and lubing sorted it.
Old 03-04-08, 12:38 PM   #9
skyline

Cheers again people for the help

Gonna get working on that at the weekend!
Old 03-04-08, 01:28 PM   #10
skyline

Ooop forgot to ask something, what's a good way of getting all the crud out of the front sprocket area?

Just seen a youtube vid of somone spraying wd40 all over the prockets/chain but wd40's not good for the chain is it?

Cheers again