SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-05-20, 05:47 PM   #11
yokohama

Default Re: oh dear.

There's the opposite here. Bikes parked well apart, bikers socially distancing and supporting local businesses. But the locals are still complaining and wanting them gone.
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...shire-11989998
It's nimbyism and self-protection as much as anything, not really unexpected and not helped by the Government's confusing messages.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-20, 06:04 PM   #12
Bibio
Mega Poster

bikers dont do themselves any favours do they.... just when the large majority of the public were not bothered about bikers, they go and pull stupid stunts like this.

its only taken 30 years to turn the public's view on bikers to have it destroyed by some idiots gathered in places like small villages when there is a pandemic.

morons........
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-20, 07:09 PM   #13
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Unlike lawyers where 90% of them get the other 10% a bad name, with bikers its the 10% of idiots that get the 90% a bad name..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-20, 06:41 AM   #14
Red Herring
Mega Poster

It certainly wouldn't have been a big ask to avoid all the regular biker haunts on the first weekend back riding a bike. It's all very well saying you're only with or meeting one mate, but if fifty other people decide to use the same regular location to do the same you have the appearance of a mass gathering....
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-20, 06:50 AM   #15
Seeker
Mega Poster

This is Willingham Woods near Market Rasen, a popular destination for riders. I guessed this would happen so avoided the area (it wasn't only bikes - there were a lot of cars there too)
https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/n...gather-4142509
Old 20-05-20, 07:37 AM   #16
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Agreed. There's miles of empty countryside to stop in so can't understand why people would all want to head somewhere they knew other people are likley to be. But then I like being away from people and peace and quiet so maybe that's just me.

Again though, more photos shot with a telephoto lense to enhance what journalists were sent out to seek out and exaggerate as much as possible. There's a million places they could have gone to show one biker on their own. (There were so many people out on Sunday.. in all types of transport!) The same way that they could have taken photos of supermarket aisles with food in them at the beginning of all of this, but they focused on the empty ones to drive their stories, clicks, advertising.. which was actually very damaging, driving more panic buying and chaos. By singling out bikers, these stories just drive anti-biker feeling, which in turn will lead to people caring less about you on the roads.
Hype, winding people up and creating fear and anger all sells advertising space, unfortunately all wrapped up in the places we look to to find legitimate information about what is going on in the world. Which we need to do more than ever right now.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-20, 07:06 PM   #17
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Agreed. There's miles of empty countryside to stop in so can't understand why people would all want to head somewhere they knew other people are likley to be. But then I like being away from people and peace and quiet so maybe that's just me.

No Adam, it's not you, I like the peace and quiet too. And as RH says lots of people have no imagination and end up stopping at the same place as lots of other people.
Old 20-05-20, 07:22 PM   #18
Chris_SVS

Normal biker haunts are the last place I would be for a while, if I was even allowed out
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote