SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-06-09, 10:12 AM   #11
pencil shavings

Default Re: how loud is 105db?

I found that it feels like it get quieter as you go faster, but I guess that makes sence as the can is behind you.
Old 02-06-09, 10:16 AM   #12
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

I would say that's because the faster you go the more wind noise you get which'll drown the can out.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 10:19 AM   #13
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Speirs View Post
For a percieved doubling in volume a 6-10db increase would be required.
Personally I would never be able to say that something is "twice" as loud as something else, as its so subjective. Even the same sound at different volume levels - if someone said "turn it up so its twice as loud" i'd have only a very vague idea. Its just not quantifiable to me. And I'm a trained sound engineer
Old 02-06-09, 11:46 AM   #14
Sosha

This thread aint going to help.....

My SV Micron Race System (Baffless) Got through the 105dB.

TSM's similar, missing some wadding was louder (If I recall).

I pack a removable baffle in case.
Old 02-06-09, 01:14 PM   #15
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
Personally I would never be able to say that something is "twice" as loud as something else, as its so subjective. Even the same sound at different volume levels - if someone said "turn it up so its twice as loud" i'd have only a very vague idea. Its just not quantifiable to me. And I'm a trained sound engineer
I understand what you are saying I couldn't tell you when something was twice as loud as something. However the comparison is more to illistrate that a doubling of actual power would read on an unweighted meter as a 3db increase. However if the Meter was A-weighted like most decibel meters must be, as this is the way human actually hear things, it wouldn't register as much of an increase and in effect the power would have to double again to reach the same reading as the unweighted meter which was reading half the power.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Old 02-06-09, 01:45 PM   #16
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Speirs View Post
I understand what you are saying I couldn't tell you when something was twice as loud as something. However the comparison is more to illistrate that a doubling of actual power would read on an unweighted meter as a 3db increase. However if the Meter was A-weighted like most decibel meters must be, as this is the way human actually hear things, it wouldn't register as much of an increase and in effect the power would have to double again to reach the same reading as the unweighted meter which was reading half the power.
you're saying its logarithmic not linear. This much i understand
Old 02-06-09, 05:04 PM   #17
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Er yes sound is logarithmic however the my explaination is not describing sound as a logrithm my explaination is describing the low frequency dampening effect the human ear has naturally that explains why if you double the amount of acoustic energy it wouldn't be percieved as twice as loud.
I know what you are saying that its hard to tell when something is twice as loud but it can be measured taking into account the dampening effect the human ear has.
Old 02-06-09, 08:41 PM   #18
svtomo

thanks for the posts, think by the sounds of it* i should be ok, im sure its not as loud as my old fuel can, maybe a bit meatier though.
think il take the baffle under my seat just in case.

*no pun intended!
Old 03-06-09, 01:08 PM   #19
Miss Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtomo View Post
hi,
just been looking at doing my 1st trackday and noticed that there is a 105 db noise limit, just wondered if anyone could try and spell out how load that is in the real world.
i have a 350mm delkevic exhaust on my bike and its fairly load, used to have a fuel exhaust on it, iv noticed there is a few people on here with them on and wondered if they have eve been tested as i think that was louder than it is now.
any help/advice muchly apprieciated,
cheers
To put it in perspective..check these two links out: linky1 & linky2

But decibels (sp?) are not linear like a ruler, its logartithmic. For example if one bike has a sound level og 60db then 4 bikes would be a hell of a lot louder (i.e. 60db x 4).

so is the 105db limit per bike or overall?
No idea how you'd work out how loud your bike is though.
Old 03-06-09, 01:29 PM   #20
jamesterror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Alpinestarhero View Post
To put it in perspective..check these two links out: linky1 & linky2

But decibels (sp?) are not linear like a ruler, its logartithmic. For example if one bike has a sound level og 60db then 4 bikes would be a hell of a lot louder (i.e. 60db x 4).

so is the 105db limit per bike or overall?
No idea how you'd work out how loud your bike is though.
From those picture readings I can hear my bike on idle over ipod ear phones.

i'll have to record the loudness although phone quality is probably pants.
jamesterror is offline   Reply With Quote