SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-11-09, 06:39 PM   #1
beabert

Default Neutral with engine running

SV650 X 1999 21k. New to me only rode it the 100 mile home so far.

I have another question

Bike wont go into neutral when engine is running. It shifts into neutral perfectly when engine is off, and it rode home through the gears fine, does that rule out anything bad? lol.

Is it the clutch? The clutch lever has no free play and is far out so i cant really see how i can adjust it. New oil first then and friction plate set would resolve it?

I need to study how the shift and clutch mechanism works on this bike, i pretty much understand a car gearbox.
Old 16-11-09, 06:41 PM   #2
beabert

Default Re: Neutral with engine running

Wrong section some how, apologies. Can someone shift it please. (# not the gearbox lol)
Old 16-11-09, 06:48 PM   #3
maviczap
Mega Poster

Lots of gunge behind the sprocket cover? If you take it off, you'll see the other end of the clutch cable, with the adjuster.

If you've got no freeplay in the cable, adjust it so you've got about 5mm travel at the lever I think? Maybe a smidge more.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-09, 06:58 PM   #4
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Adjust and lube chain.
Check engine oil level is correct and its been changed in living memory.
Do a search on here for how to adjust clutch operating mechanism(not just the cable)
Check the gear lever where it pivots on the footrest.This gets gunked up and needs lubing.
I bet one of the above sorts it.
Old 16-11-09, 07:11 PM   #5
beabert

At first it wasn't easy going into neutral even when engine off as the gear lever and rod were bent a bit at sometime or other, once i bent it back all straight it made it easy to get into neutral. Ill take sprocket cover off as suggest to have a closer look.

Thanks
Old 16-11-09, 08:33 PM   #6
Well Oiled

How old is your oil? when it gets thick and black it drags on the clutch plates and loads up the gears making it difficult to change.
Old 16-11-09, 08:38 PM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Moved to the right section for you.

As above, chain tension & oil level are the first things to check.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-09, 09:10 PM   #8
beabert

thanks fizzwheel

No idea regarding oil age, only had it month or two, and have chosen to stick to riding the 125 over winter lol, it gives me time to iron out all the bits and get familar with it.

Ive been meaning to grab some some oil from HG, but the 125 is now playing up! Stopped at the lights and conked out, wouldn't run unless i hammered throttle, cleaned the carb and now the revs wont go down after opening the throttle, i suspect an air leak, it did make me chuckle, its like the bike has mind of its own. Got a spare carb to test on it tomorrow, bloody fun and games!

Last edited by beabert; 16-11-09 at 09:12 PM.
Old 16-11-09, 09:14 PM   #9
kwak zzr

An oil change ain't gonna hurt things anyhow and its amazing the difference of feel and as said above chain tension is important and can make big positives in the way of gear shifting.
Old 16-11-09, 10:30 PM   #10
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Adjust the clutch.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote