SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-04-07, 10:12 AM   #1
Baph

Default Baph goes peg grinding...

...the wrong way

Yup folks, happened again. Numpty!

Went home on the A543 over Denbigh moors last night. All was well, listening to the newly fitted Scorpion singing. Then my mind wandered

Locals, if you come up from the A5, past a couple of the farm houses, there's a right hander sort of in a dip, then a couple more houses, then a left hander. It was the left hander there, but I was going the other way.

Came along a straight, to a right hander (before the one I came off at). I know the SV will take this happily in 4th. I was at the bottom of 5th. Sh*t riding Dave, sort it out. Opened the throttle along the straight, coming to the bend that I know I can happily take in 3rd. Usually a whole lot of brakes too to get around it.

It was at this point my mind wondered away from me. What gear am I in? Beggar, don't know. Hmm. Why is the back end shaking? Crap the rear is locked! Release back brake & apply front (I wasn't using the front brake until this point). Sh*t, have I scrubbed enough speed off to avoid that wall? Don't think so, it'll break less if I throw it on the road, so lets do that.

I don't remember me hitting the floor, so I'm under the firm opinion that I hit the ground almost running. An inspection reveals that my right toe took a little grinding, but that's all. Boots did their job. Later I've found a nice big dent in my left leg, where it looks like I caught the pillion peg on the left as I swung my leg over the bike (360 dismount & run styleee).

My first thought when I got to the bike, F* that's going to be expensive! I'm approx 40miles from home, can I ride it?

Turns out, the crash bung took the brunt of it The newly fitted Scorpion is unharmed thanks to the pillion bracket (pointy pillion bracket has the stock can holder moulded into it, high level scorpion sits behind the pillion bracket). Indicator took a little hit, that's cracked, was going to replace that with mini's when I get around to it anyway. The fairing took a light scratching, but now it matches the left. Brake pedal bend out & snapped off, to be expected.

So I'm fine, and the bike took minimal damage. Thank crap the bungs weren't still protecting the fridge!

My over-analysis of the off, tells me the following things:
  • I wasn't concentrating as much as I should of been (I didn't know what gear I was in to use engine braking).
  • I over braked on the back. Recently I've been riding my mates R1 a lot, and I think this and the lack of concentration has a lot to do with that. On the R1, you can brake harder & later, because the brakes are that much better.
  • I got target fixation on the wall. If I hadn't, who knows, I might of made it round. D'OH!
So pretty clear cut then, the off was a direct result of me being a numpty! I strongly believe the mantra that you ride hard you fall hard. I was riding pretty hard, and not concentrating. I got what I firmly deserved

So, now, where to get a single bung & brake pedal for a K6?
Old 12-04-07, 10:19 AM   #2
K

Default Re: Baph goes peg grinding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
... It was the left hander there, but I was going the other way.
Well, there's you problem straight away - hanging it right on a left hander is always going to end in tears.

You walked away, so t'is all good.
Old 12-04-07, 10:26 AM   #3
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
...the wrong way

Yup folks, happened again. Numpty!

My over-analysis of the off, tells me the following things:
  • I wasn't concentrating as much as I should of been (I didn't know what gear I was in to use engine braking).
  • I over braked on the back. Recently I've been riding my mates R1 a lot, and I think this and the lack of concentration has a lot to do with that. On the R1, you can brake harder & later, because the brakes are that much better.
  • I got target fixation on the wall. If I hadn't, who knows, I might of made it round. D'OH!
So pretty clear cut then, the off was a direct result of me being a numpty! I strongly believe the mantra that you ride hard you fall hard. I was riding pretty hard, and not concentrating. I got what I firmly deserved
Booggaloo Dave but good to hear you are okay.

As for over-analysis , I think you appear to over-complicating this riding larky .

Now, stop been a numpty....

Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 10:29 AM   #4
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Know the corner you mean. Bad luck man, but as everyone will point out, you are in one piece.

Avoiding them dry stone walls is a top idea.

Take it easy, hope you not too sore today.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 10:33 AM   #5
Law

Oh bum.

Glad you're alright and the bike has minimal damage.
Old 12-04-07, 10:39 AM   #6
sarah

oops, ouch
Old 12-04-07, 11:01 AM   #7
Baph

Thanks folks. As you can tell, I'm pretty light hearted about it (probably because I know why it happened).

Strangely my left arm is a little sore, no visible marks or anything. Just aching.

My riding style hasn't changed that much (again, I know what happened), but I'm approaching corners a little slower. That's mainly to do with the fact that I haven't got a back brake at the moment. But other than that, all is good.

Must remember that the SV doesn't have the same brakes as the R1 does. Hmm, come to think of it, could I transfer the discs, calipers & lines before my mate gets back from his holiday...
Old 12-04-07, 11:15 AM   #8
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Maybe not having your back pedal for a while might get you out of the bad habit of using your back brake.

............except for slow speed and big skids

Glad you and your pride and joy are up and about.

Its nice when you know what you have done. Easier to get over it quickly.

Motorcycling is never mediocre!
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 11:20 AM   #9
keithd

glad you're ok

reading that sounds like you think about what gear you're in too much. i often have no idea what gear im in, i go by the revs and the speed and the feel if that makes sense.

take it easy dude.
Old 12-04-07, 11:20 AM   #10
Warthog

Aw bad luck Dave, sad to hear just joined my Easter crash club hehe. Glad you are alright, and amazing that your bike is still pretty much fine! I have to say, I hurt more on day 2 now, a bit more muscular aches have come up, including thumbs from the bars I guess and neck muscles like I have been headbanging too much. All still minor though, nothing serious!