SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-02-11, 08:54 PM   #11
jamesterror

Default Re: Building a light website

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terah View Post
Stick WordPress on your hosting account. It's a very easy to use content management system/blog engine and you can install it from your godaddy control panel - should be under Install Apps.

Apart from ease of use there are also countless themes freely available so all you need to do is pick a design you like, create a page or two, and you're done. Very easy to add to later, both content and functionality wise.
Agreed ^^

You're probably best to use a Content Management System.. WordPress, Joomla, etc.

PM me if you need any help .
jamesterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-11, 09:16 PM   #12
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesterror View Post
You're probably best to use a Content Management System.. WordPress, Joomla, etc.

PM me if you need any help .
Or PM me if you like, as well

I've just moved to Hostpapa hosting (£2.95pm + VAT) over 3 years. Unlimited space & databases, domain for life, etc. They only offer one package (which has everything you could need), so the choice is eay. Just gets cheaper per month the longer you buy it for. Note that no host can offer you a .uk domain for a period less than two years.

I use xoops CMS for my sites (xoops.org), e.g. http://www.llanmon.org.uk/). Dead easy to use and manage.

Hostpapa, like many other hosts, have one-button install of losts of different software (wordpress, xoops, joomla, drupal, etc) so it couldn't be easier for the first-timer. Look for this functionality when choosing a host
Old 19-02-11, 10:44 PM   #13
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I'm just in similar boat, just blundering my way through making pages with kompozer.
Old 20-02-11, 01:46 AM   #14
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Well, I've jumped in at the deep end, got my domain and hosting up, just waiting for the dns to update and I can start work on getting wordpress up and running...

Who needs sleep??
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-11, 10:06 PM   #15
missyburd

what hosting did you go with in the end?
Old 20-02-11, 11:14 PM   #16
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Went with Godaddy as they seem to offer a decent package at a cheap price - Once you get your head round the various terminology their control panel is quite simple to use

Paid something like £53 for a year of the domain and two years basic hosting option (10GB space and unlimited data usage - couldn't find any catches in the T&Cs)

Be aware they add VAT at the end of the process, bit annoying, and you can get 25% off the price by googling for a coupon code for the checkout

Wordpress is up and running nicely now, adding some pages, not going to reveal the url yet as it's definitely a WIP but if someone wants to see it PM me and I might give you the url so you can see the sort of thing that Wordpress can do...
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote