SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-11-09, 04:54 PM   #1
Milky Bar Kid

Default Go away John Smeaton "OR AL SET ABOOT YE"

John Smeaton. Or SMEATO as he likes to be called now.

Ok, he did a brave thing on the day of the Glasgow Airport terrorist attacks. He wasn't the only one though, and IIRC the others did far more to stop the guys than Smeato. The only thing he is famous for is the quote:

"This is Glesga, we'll set aboot ye."

So, what exactly gives him the right to preach about stuff in a coloumn in the Scottish Sun? He preaches about politics, current affairs, what's right and what's wrong with world. Most of it is drivel because hasn't got a clue!!

Today, he is ranting on about comedians. Frankie Boyle, Jimmy Carr, David Mitchell. He is slating them saying that making "politically in-correct" jokes is out of order. What's brought this on? Because of David Mitchell saying on Radio 4 "there is no truth in the rumour that Anne Franks dad bought her a drumkit for her birthday"

He then starts ranting that it wasn't that when poor Anne met her death in the concentration camps.

Yeah, she died a horrible death. So did thousands of other people in that war and it is terrible part of the worlds history but COME ON! It was 60 ish years ago!

Anyway, who the hell are you, Mr Smeaton, to tell me what I can and can't find funny?

Seriously dude, you are famous for making people from Glasgow sound like eejits!!!

EDIT: PS, I read the broadsheets too, not just tabloids!

Last edited by Milky Bar Kid; 05-11-09 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-11-09, 05:07 PM   #2
Philbo

Default Re: Go away John Smeaton "OR AL SET ABOOT YE"

In his defense, I think he just gets his picture pasted to the top of the column, I doubt he even knows what's being printed... Not sure if that comment improves his case any...
Old 05-11-09, 05:15 PM   #3
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

MBK, you really should send that to him as an email and see what he has to say for himself.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 05:22 PM   #4
keithd

isnt there a great deal of doubt over his role in stopping the attack on glasgow airport? he only got involved after 3 others had waded in and he merely pulled an injured person out of the way of the burning vehicle?
Old 05-11-09, 05:27 PM   #5
Dicky Ticker

So did thousands of other people in that war and it is terrible part of the worlds history but COME ON! It was 60 ish years ago!

Much as I agree with your other comments and I do understand your point of view. You being an 80's child this may seem an eternity ago to you but there are those of us who had to grow up with the immediate aftermath of WW11 and the war widow aunts and relations. The hardship,poverty,lack of housing and food rationing up till 1954 may all be history to you but a part of life for me. 60 years is a long time when you are young but please remember that this 60 years of relevant peace is due to the people who gave their lives so that you could have the life you have today.
This although a reply to your post is NOT directed at you, but just a reminder to us all and I seriously hope than the younger generation can look back on their 60 years and not have the heartbreak and deprivation that a WW can bring.
Old 05-11-09, 05:47 PM   #6
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Ticker View Post
So did thousands of other people in that war and it is terrible part of the worlds history but COME ON! It was 60 ish years ago!

Much as I agree with your other comments and I do understand your point of view. You being an 80's child this may seem an eternity ago to you but there are those of us who had to grow up with the immediate aftermath of WW11 and the war widow aunts and relations. The hardship,poverty,lack of housing and food rationing up till 1954 may all be history to you but a part of life for me. 60 years is a long time when you are young but please remember that this 60 years of relevant peace is due to the people who gave their lives so that you could have the life you have today.
This although a reply to your post is NOT directed at you, but just a reminder to us all and I seriously hope than the younger generation can look back on their 60 years and not have the heartbreak and deprivation that a WW can bring.
Hear Hear.
Old 05-11-09, 05:55 PM   #7
Milky Bar Kid

Quote:

Oh God yes, I understand. I do feel you have misquoted me a bit though. I did say that it was a terrible time in the worlds history and I studied them before and I am fully aware of the artrocities which occurred in that time.

My point is that this joke has been going around for decades. I have heard it loads of times. I don't really think it can be classed as being particularly offensive though. He also goes on about the Jimmy Carr joke about the soldiers and the paralympics. This was discussed to death before and I think the majority of us agreed that we took it in the way that it was meant.
Old 05-11-09, 06:29 PM   #8
Dicky Ticker

Just pointing out to everybody 60 years is not that long ago-------Sorry
Old 05-11-09, 06:31 PM   #9
Milky Bar Kid

Quote:
Just pointing out to everybody 60 years is not that long ago-------Sorry
No need to apologise, I appreciate what you are getting at in your post. I full agree that sometimes we need to be reminded about our history.

TBH, many people my age don't know anything about the WW's and probably don't care. I think many families made a huge sacrifice and many lost sons as a result. I think people also need to be reminded about the Blitz and that this era of terrorism is not unique. Britain has always faced very dangerous enemies.
Old 05-11-09, 08:28 PM   #10
Philbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Bar Kid View Post
TBH, many people my age don't know anything about the WW's and probably don't care.
Thanks MBK, for making me feel like a really old bugger for the first time in my life...
I was about to retort with something along the lines off, "Well in my school, we learned all about both WWs", then I realised that was some time ago...

Damn you Old Father Time, damn you!!!