SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-02-05, 05:24 PM   #1
RandyO

Default Scottoiler Questions?

wondering what everybody with a scottoiler runs for lube, what temperature range you ride in, do you change lube in colder weather, drip rate etc.

as a point of reference I run straight ATF in all weather above freezing, I set the drip rate at 1drop/40seconds±, in winter, (I ride as cold as -12°F/-25°C) and I thin the ATF with about 25% K-1 Kerosene (parafin?) and set the drip rate at 1drop/20seconds

I am getting about 30,000 miles per set of chain & sprockets, 16T steel GSXR front , 46T aluminum rear, 112 link DID chain. besides riding in winter salt n sand, I ride about 25% gravel roads in summer. my front sprocket is what is always worn first, and I mean really worn, hooked and missing teeth, chain and rear sprocket barely show signs of wear.

does anybody fit their scottoiler to hit the front sprocket rather than rear?
Old 19-02-05, 06:16 PM   #2
embee
Mega Poster

Hi Randy
I don't do your sort of riding (doubt anyone in the UK does! ), but yes I have the Scottoiler delivering onto the side of the gearbox sprocket.

I made a small bracket to fit under the clutch cable locknut where it goes into the engine casing, and brazed a curved steel tube to the bracket which just squeezes down the corner of the cutaway in the plastic cover to guide the plastic Scottoiler tube down and onto the side of the sprocket. Anothe steel tab goes onto the clutch mechanism bolt to support the end of the tube.

A mate did a version using small bore copper pipe (as used in model steam engines) to deliver the oil to the sprocket, without the tab to the mechanism bolt- it hasn't fatigued/broken yet, so is an option. He fitted a short length of the black pipe in the clear stuff to control the flow.

The small black capillary pipe almost touches the sprocket at about "9-o'clock". As an oil drop begins to form it touches the sprocket and the oil just gets picked off and spread onto the side. It doesn't seem to fling off, just gets centrifuged out onto the chain. Note I have a non-original steel sprocket without the damper ring. For the damper type you'd need to deliver the oil somewhere else, probably just as the chain leaves the sprocket.

I find I've been able to cut the delivery rate right down and still keep the chain looking wet, presumably because virtually no oil misses the chain. It uses about 1/3 of a reservoir in 1000mls.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-05, 08:11 PM   #3
RandyO

ya, I use the gsxr front, cause it's stock 16t and has the rubber on it, it is quieter, sounds like I should use and aftermarket front if I want to discharge my scottoiler in front.
Old 19-02-05, 09:35 PM   #4
embee
Mega Poster

I use a 16T aswell to give it a more relaxed cruise, but it's an aftermarket one.

If you have the rubber damper ring, I'd rig it up to deliver just as the chain leaves the sprocket. I'm sure that being behind the cover keeps the wind off it and it'll let you deliver the oil right onto the chain without it blowing around.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote