SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-05-09, 05:13 PM   #1
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Buell Performance Academy

It was a case of being in the right place at the right time when I found out about this. I was in a Buell dealers looking for a ride on an 1125R for Operation: Test Ride Miles, the dealer was chatting to a friend of his who had popped in and the topic of the Buell Experience came up. I couldn't help overhearing and the dealer knew it. Once he'd finished with his mate he turned to me and ran through the details.

Basically its a half day at a race track, the one he was involved with was at Castle Combe. There would be track riding, off-roading, a road rideout, a low speed skills, and a pillion ride with former British Superbike rider Matt Llewellyn. Basically a bit of fun and a good way to test the bikes as it was up to me what I rode. The only thing was it would cost £99, but if I buy a bike from him after the day he'll take the £99 off the price. So it cost me £99.

So I arrive at the track and go in for the safety briefing and the outline of the days events. As our group were the beginners the expert group headed off to start and we got a little more instruction. Then it was our turn.

Track time first. A sighting session. We followed one of the track instructors at a even pace round the circuit for a few laps as he showed us the lines and gave us a feel for the track. For this session there would be no over taking, it was just to show us where we needed to go. I used it to get a feel for the track, get used to the bike an 1125R, and pick where I'd look for overtakes as in the full track session overtaking would be permitted but only on straights and corner exit, not entry.

With the sighting laps done it was time to go on the low speed skills course. This was a set of obstacles laid out in the car park. There was a slalom, a seesaw, ramp, mini-roundabout, and low beam. The aim was to get round without touching your feet down, falling off, knocking cones over, or launching off of the seesaw (which someone had a good go at). And I can say that I did it without any problem. Much better than when I did it at the NEC with Mac99 back in 2007. It probably also helped that I'd ridden the XB12 for Test Ride Miles, but I didn't tell them that.

So with that complete it was time for the road rideout. I decided on the 1125CR for this. It was only a short route around the countryside next to the circuit but it was a blast. The leader said it would be sticking to the limits and there would be no overtaking. So I was behind him as we left, and am pleased I was because I wouldn't have seen 100mph on the dash if I didn't overtake as at one point we lost sight of the rest of the group.

Back from the road ride we had a little break and then went off-road. It was only a short 2 mile trek around the outfield that took in a couple of climbs, a woodland trail, and lots of loose surface, but it was fun. We did it on the XB12X Ulysses which is the same as the XB12S but with off road suspension and some off road protection. Just get on, stand-up, and follow the bike in front.

At this point we were told that due to the wind the pillion rides wouldn't be able to go ahead. That was a bit of a shame but no big deal as it was now time to get on track for some real fun.

Back on the 1125R we set off. I had so much fun. Knee down at Quarry Corner, watch for the suspension kick in The Esses, remember Tower Corner is a double apex, take the final chicane slowly, watch for the bumps on the start finish straight, use all the track through Avon Rise and then set up for Quarry, smiling for the photographer.

I think I overtook everybody out there, some more than once. A couple of instructors were also out to help us. When I came up behind one for the second time he upped his pace to mine to help me with some of my lines. Which I really appreciated. I thanked him for it after, and explained that I'd never ridden track before, he was a little surprised by this and said I need to do the advanced with them.

At the end I was knackered, sweating, but smiling. Really enjoyed myself, it was well worth the money. I think the 1125R is quite overlooked it was a cracking ride. I'm going to book onto the advanced track with them at Mallory Park, and would really recommend the experience event to any level rider as it was really well run and lots of fun.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 05:20 PM   #2
Jamiebridges123

Default Re: Buell Performance Academy

Sounds like a great day! Thanks for sharing and good pictures.
Old 11-05-09, 05:27 PM   #3
mattSV
Mega Poster

Awesome - I managed to blag a free Buell Experience day at Silverstone a few years ago, they flew Erik Buell in (nice guy) and also had Craig Jones doing a stunt session with a mike on, so he could talk you through how to attempt the stunts he was doing
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 06:08 PM   #4
Mej
Mega Poster

look wicked, would love to do something like that, wonder if they will let me on the 33bhp licence, doubt it as there is road riding involved.

Mej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 08:20 PM   #5
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

OMG it looks like a basking shark!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-09, 08:26 PM   #6
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Well got the pic's from the track photographer today. I just leave my favorite one here...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-09, 08:36 PM   #7
Jamiebridges123

Jesus that is such an ugly bike. And eww, that brake rotor..

If there was a 2 wheeled version of Ann Widdecombe, this would be it.