SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-10-17, 10:33 PM   #1
chris8886
Mega Poster

Default MIVV exhaust

not an sv question (hence why I've posted it in here...). I've got a cbr 600rr as per my sig these days which is in need of a proper (non-standard) exhaust, which has been proving a little tricky as it's an 04 model. I've come across MIVV on ebay and they seem ok to me by picture. has anyone had one on their bike be it an sv or something else. how's the sound, build quality etc. does the removable baffle go in and out fairly easily (always essential for the mot....)?

what's the general consensus on them? have been looking for a second hand akra ideally, but have found nothing on ebay that seems appropriate.

thanks for any help/opinion offered.

ps. mods please move this thread if you think this is the wrong place for it
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-17, 05:56 AM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: MIVV exhaust

I'd seen a Mivvi on an Sv, looked really nice, and was nice an quiet. Quality looked good from what I can remember, it was a few years ago
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-17, 09:25 AM   #3
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Fitted one to my K2 naked.
Beautifully made and didn't sound as harsh as most cans did.
Only had the SV for about 8 months more when I absconded to
the dark side and got the Street Triple
Old 19-10-17, 05:34 PM   #4
chris8886
Mega Poster

Thanks both of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punyXpress View Post
Fitted one to my K2 naked.
Beautifully made and didn't sound as harsh as most cans did.
Only had the SV for about 8 months more when I absconded to
the dark side and got the Street Triple
Do you have any particular opinions or views about the baffle being any good etc?
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
Old 20-10-17, 07:04 PM   #5
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Hi Chris
Being a wimp I never got round to trying the Mivv without baffle
Old 20-10-17, 07:36 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

i had a full mivv system including mid pipework on the last SV and i hated it. the welding looked like it was done by monkeys and the finish was not that great. the baffles are 'full blocking' for noise regs but rattle like fek, without the baffle it did sound nice and deep though. they are no better built that say Fuel, Beowulf etc.etc

i still have the mivv system kicking about in the lockup and i still have an sv so tells you something.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-17, 07:56 PM   #7
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i had a full mivv system including mid pipework on the last SV and i hated it. the welding looked like it was done by monkeys and the finish was not that great. the baffles are 'full blocking' for noise regs but rattle like fek, without the baffle it did sound nice and deep though. they are no better built that say Fuel, Beowulf etc.etc

i still have the mivv system kicking about in the lockup and i still have an sv so tells you something.

thanks for your comments bibs, I had a fuel on my sv too, although it was only an end can and I had no issue with it. so if you reckon mivv are on a par with fuel I think i'll probably go for one. the baffle sounds like I does what it should and would just about only ever be used for mot time......
Old 23-10-17, 09:57 AM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I went out with a mate on his latest aquisition, a Yamaha 1300 cruiser yesterday he had Haynes ?? exhausts fitted before he even rode it (sounded like straight through pipes to me, I heard him approaching quite a few streets away from our house, which early on a Sunday morning did not endear me with my neighbours).

I think noisy exhausts just get bikers a bad name and attract the attention of police, they do nothing to improve performance and often probably reduce power - so why have them. Even this blokes mates were taking the p!ss, a bloke on a Yam 1900 Midnight star said he tried something similar on a ride to Denmark, and as soon as he got back he put the OEM silencers back on, said the noise p!ssed him off.

What struck me was, instead of even upgrading the bulb in his 30 watt (that's what it looked like, a glow-worm in a jar) headlight to something better or getting extra lights fitted he spent a heap of money on loud pipes. 'to make his bike safer'.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-17, 10:03 AM   #9
ophic
Mega Poster

There's noticeable and there's too loud. If it's so loud it's surprising or shocking or heart-attack inducing, it's not gonna make anything safer really.

Not sure an SV fits into that category even with no end can at all. Maybe at full throttle.
Old 26-10-17, 10:03 PM   #10
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I went out with a mate on his latest aquisition, a Yamaha 1300 cruiser yesterday he had Haynes ?? exhausts fitted before he even rode it (sounded like straight through pipes to me, I heard him approaching quite a few streets away from our house, which early on a Sunday morning did not endear me with my neighbours).

I think noisy exhausts just get bikers a bad name and attract the attention of police, they do nothing to improve performance and often probably reduce power - so why have them. Even this blokes mates were taking the p!ss, a bloke on a Yam 1900 Midnight star said he tried something similar on a ride to Denmark, and as soon as he got back he put the OEM silencers back on, said the noise p!ssed him off.

What struck me was, instead of even upgrading the bulb in his 30 watt (that's what it looked like, a glow-worm in a jar) headlight to something better or getting extra lights fitted he spent a heap of money on loud pipes. 'to make his bike safer'.

as ophic says below. i'm not after something ridiculously loud, more something that will alert a car driver that may not have seen me, that i'm there and hopefully preventing an accident. I live in a pretty quiet area and have no wish to hack my neighbours off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
There's noticeable and there's too loud. If it's so loud it's surprising or shocking or heart-attack inducing, it's not gonna make anything safer really.

Not sure an SV fits into that category even with no end can at all. Maybe at full throttle.