SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-03-06, 09:31 AM   #1
Grinch

Default What would have you done... (to mobile phone car man)

I was filtering though the traffic at the A3 road works Guildford this morning north bound. When I went past a dark salon observed a man on his mobile phone, we where doing about 25-30 mph. So I rolled off the throttle so I was next to him and gave him a few dirty looks, wasn't sure what else to do.
I did thing about pulling in front and back firing the bike but then I remember with the baffle in this Scorpion can won't back fire.
Should I have tapped on his window, risking him getting startled and swerving into me?
Any other suggestions? (one that won't get me arrested please)
Old 17-03-06, 09:34 AM   #2
silent

i think what you did was about right, anything else may well have been dangerous or stupid. i know he is being dangerous and stupid by using his mobile phone but two wrongs dont make a right. maybe a quick beep of the horn and hand to head in phone jestuyre with a shake of the head at best if it was safe.

this is one of my pet hates btw...phone users in cars

andy
Old 17-03-06, 09:42 AM   #3
jonboy

My advice would be not to do anything. The last thing you want is some gorilla to get out of his car at the next set of lights and start some aggro. If you've a good memory then take a mental note of his number and then report it at your local plod shop, just take a book with you as service is none too quick and be aware that they'll do anything they can to do absolutely nowt.

Old 17-03-06, 09:43 AM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
My advice would be not to do anything. The last thing you want is some gorilla to get out of his car at the next set of lights and start some aggro. If you've a good memory then take a mental note of his number and then report it at your local plod shop, just take a book with you as service is none too quick and be aware that they'll do anything they can to do absolutely nowt.

Thats what I would do as well

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-06, 10:01 AM   #5
thor

I'd go as far as the hand gestures, but that's about it. Remember there are some nutters out there. Besides, if you distract someone whilst the are on their phone, how likely are they to be concentrating on the road now? In effect, you could make the situation worse. I'd also think about getting a bit of distance between you and them!

Stay safe
Old 17-03-06, 10:21 AM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

Nothing, just rode past tutted, rolled eyes, and carried on with my journey!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-06, 10:24 AM   #7
Grinch

I do need to get a bigger horn.
Though I wasn't to worried about someone ****ing me. Since becoming a father and husband I'm much more of a aggressive(assertive?) person so I recon I'd have chinned him if he tried anything. I was every timmed, would avoid most things, strange how these things change you.

But I think dirty looks and may be rev of the bike or a beep of the horn is enough.
Old 17-03-06, 10:28 AM   #8
JakeRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch
I do need a bigger horn.
why, been getting complaints from the laydees?

sorry for the smut, carry on!
Old 17-03-06, 10:31 AM   #9
DanAbnormal

I think I would have done the same; gave a look and then moved on. Not worth getting into any trouble over. Next year he'll get points on his licence if he's caught with the phone, so with any luck...................
Old 17-03-06, 10:49 AM   #10
Peter Henry

Very wise to tread carefully in these situations as Jonboy suggests. You do not want the whole situation to generate in to a major confrontation.