SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Racing and Paddock Chat The latest news, talk, and gossip from the world of bike racing, you can also discuss track days here too.

Old 05-04-08, 01:58 PM   #1
metalmonkey

Default Which race school for me....

Hey guys, I want to/need to do a race school.

Which one does everyone recommand and most importantly would be most suitable for me?

I need instuctors that understand it may sometimes take me a bit longer to pick things up, and not get frustrated with that. I'm very keen and want to learn.

Want to learn what I need to know to race, how to improve what I'm doing on the bike. I uderstand what people were saying about postioning, its everything like that I need to learn and shown how its done properly.

I want to have fun and learn how to control my bike and of course I want to win!
Old 05-04-08, 02:17 PM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Which race school for me....

Do at least one full track day on your new bike. Hopefully by the end of that you'll feel happier on it and then you can concerntrate on what the instructor is telling you. Trying to learn a new circuit on a new bike with different tyres probably means you've got plenty to think about already. Grab one of the instructors that most trackdays make available.

You can't take on everything at once and actually listen to it all. I would honestly say the best thing you can do for now is totally ignore the thought of racing, or being fast and just enjoy the day and try to get comfortable. You'll have a better time and not be frustrated if you don't make the progress you seem to feel you have to.

Jambo
Old 05-04-08, 02:26 PM   #3
Sideshow#36

Absolutely spot on! Use the instructors. They are there for your benefit. When you feel smoother and more consistant (they are the two key attributes,) then look into a race school. And I can reccomend Ron Haslam.
Old 05-04-08, 02:56 PM   #4
metalmonkey

Chris, Jambo I agree with both you say, I planned to do another 1-2 trackdays on my bike before I did a race school anyway. But I want to book one up before they all become full for the summer.

I will be out on road bike more now, praticing my throttle control and just spending time on the bike, I took the bike for blast on way home from work, it felt good

I won't push ahead to fast, my aim is actually to sort my acu licence so I can do testing, which tends to work out cheaper for licence holders.

I want to do a race school on my own bike, as I feel thats the best way of it doing, I'm not going to be riding a 600 on track or anywhere in the future.
Old 05-04-08, 03:20 PM   #5
Bear

If you wanna do one on your bike don't do Ron Haslam. It's all on CBR600s.

I'd second jambo's thinking here. I think you're maybe getting bogged down with information at the minute, when what you need to be doing is applying it a little at a time. Try stuff out, when you find you have a problem, look for advice that will fix that one problem, rather than getting every piece of advice from every available source and getting confused about what's important and useful for you at your level.

As for schools: CSS gets great reviews, but is mainly classroom based I think (never been myself) or do some off roading. BUT DON"T DO THEM YET!
Old 05-04-08, 03:59 PM   #6
Sideshow#36

Yeah the theory about getting the ACU licence and doing testing instead of trackdays is correct. It will be slightly cheaper and you will get more track time.
However I would say that there are no instructors around!!! Fellow riders may be able to offer advice but they will be there to test themselves.
Also dont forget that most people on test days will be significantly fast!!!
My first test day was at mallory. It is so much faster than the "fast" group for trackdays. And it just so happened that the Virgin Mobile Yamaha BSB team were there! Its nice having R1's piloted by nutcases going underneath you tipping it into Gerrards!! Yes they are much better riders on a whole but It does take a lot of getting used to.
Old 05-04-08, 05:54 PM   #7
redbiker 954

Mick Boddice school at Darley moor circuit,even if you have to travel a fair distance it's well worth it . recommended !