SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-05-14, 12:12 PM   #31
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Reasons not to like a Kawasaki er6f?

i've had a look and i think the yoke/bars from a street is out due to the fairing.

how about a set of Gillies 100mm Variobars? i have a set on my SV and it feels like a mix of sport/tour position, not as wristy as a sport but not as sit up as a naked. not cheep granted but you can pretty much position them to what suits you.

your on a bike your going to get wet...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-14, 07:19 AM   #32
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Hi there, we have just got back from Thailand too and have completed a tour around the southern part of the country. The bikes we took were a Honda CB500 for me and a Kwak ER6n for wifey.

I tried the kwak, but instantly found the seat to be like a paving slab, it dug into the inside of my thighs and the lean forwards to the bar was just horrible. It felt cheap, the bars were really narrow and I felt like I was having to ride with my elbows bowed inwards. The brakes were almost identical to the SV, but came with ABS. Suspension felt active, but soggy.

I chose the CB because it had immediate comfort and that stayed even after 100 miles in the saddle. We rode off road for some sections and the Honda handled this really well, the Kwak was top heavy and nervous.

Power delivery from the Kwak was OK, the CB struggled to keep up despite carrying less weight, but once going the Kwak sat peacefully, but for over taking it needs to be dropped down a couple of gears to get the engine singing.

I was disappointed when I tried the Kwak, I wanted to like it because it looked like a nice bike and I like the wife's Kwak at home. Sadly though I would rate it as less comfortable than a standard SV seat, less power and having nervous handling. As for the Honda, the gear box was rubbish and power delivery came at six and a half K and faded at just after seven. There was no adjustment in the brake or clutch levers, the under seat storage was crude and difficult to use, but for me it trumped the Kwak and was great to ride. Sorry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-17, 09:44 AM   #33
dyzio
Mega Poster

Back from the dead.

I'm surprised to come back here and read so many negatives about the bike. I've had a loaner low mileage 2006 f model for 2 weeks or so, and I'm surprised how much I like it.
Bike's been garaged and cared for so looks great, brakes are good, suspension seems better than sv (none of the pogo'ing on the front end I remember from my SV). It could be just the riding position (SVs vs 6F), but it feels lighter and more flickable.
Fuel econonmy is way better (got 200 miles from a tank on my first try (Glasgow - Aberdeen, 50/50 back roads and motorway), best I had from the SV was 165ish.
Gearbox feels better than any of my previous bikes (SV, Falco, 675).

Negatives are mainly trivial things:
- fairing is rattly at certain rpms,
- needs a quick throttle tube badly (anyone know if there is an equivalent of the r6 tube avaliable?),
- stock screen - deflects the airflow directly to my chin/face into the helmet.
- no vtwin soundtrack
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-17, 11:36 AM   #34
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzio View Post
Back from the dead.
I'm surprised to come back here and read so many negatives about the bike. I've had a loaner low mileage 2006 f model for 2 weeks or so, and I'm surprised how much I like it.
Maybe a classic case of 'a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still'..............

If you give people advice that agrees with their present thinking they think you are an expert, if you give them advice they don't agree with they will think you are either biased or an idiot.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 26-05-17 at 11:37 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-17, 12:22 PM   #35
macamxthe1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post

If you give people advice that agrees with their present thinking they think you are an expert, if you give them advice they don't agree with they will think you are either biased or an idiot.
Oh how so very very true.

Geoff.
Old 27-05-17, 10:11 AM   #36
Blapper

YES, what SV650 said!

Absoloootly.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote