SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-01-07, 01:44 PM   #1
andyaikido

Default Brake light flickering

Just checking my lights and found that when the rear brake is applied, the brake light comes on at the right point but then goes off again as the lever goes further down. If you hold the lever in one position the light will flicker or go off.

The light works as it should with the front lever.

Anyone know how much the rear brake light switch costs as this seems to be the most likely cause of the problem?

Also, the horn's stopped working. It usually does when the engine's hot but tried it from cold and nothing at all.
Old 16-01-07, 02:13 PM   #2
tinpants
Ubique

Probably a bad earth somewhere. I'm sure SidSquid or Rictus will be along in a minute to let you know.
Old 16-01-07, 03:55 PM   #3
mart

hows thing andy? i second the bad earth problem too
Old 16-01-07, 04:24 PM   #4
Ceri JC

Before you slash your loom to bits, it might be worth fiddling with the adjuster if you've not done so already. I've had this problem twice and it has resolved it. The adjuster is the black plastic thing round the back of the heel plate (the long thin spring of the brake pedal goes up to it). Twisting it round adjusts the point at which the light comes on.

EDIT: Hadn't read the bit about the horn. Still, only takes 30 seconds, so worth a try- it's possible the horn may be unrelated.
Old 16-01-07, 04:43 PM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

The switch is goosed.
If the front then a new one is the only reliable option.
The rear switch can be disassembled if you're careful, but it's likely that the switch contacts are corroded and a new one is the easiest fix, you don't need a Suzuki switch - the rear is a fairly universal type.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-07, 06:04 PM   #6
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

A proper switch for the brake pedal costs about £12 from Suzuki (for a curvey), I bought one a little while agao cos it was doing the same thing
Old 16-01-07, 06:34 PM   #7
andyaikido

Cheers guys.

Will probably wait until spring now to sort it as I never use the rear brake on it's own and i'll be dismantling everything then in preparation for the summer.
Old 19-01-07, 02:26 AM   #8
lucky strike

Andy, I had the same problem on my curvy a few weeks ago with the front brake. I just took it off and literally squirted a bit of good ol' WD40 into one of the switch casing holes, and dried off the excess lubricant with tissue. Et Voi-la! jobs a good-un and hasn't (touch wood) let me down yet! Maybe you could try the same with the rear, it shouldn't take very long I imagine.
Old 19-01-07, 08:23 PM   #9
andyaikido

Both problems have sorted themselves out. Must be dirt getting where it shouldn't or something.
Old 20-01-07, 07:28 AM   #10
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog
A proper switch for the brake pedal costs about £12 from Suzuki (for a curvey), I bought one a little while agao cos it was doing the same thing
Me too. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they were not over exaggerated in price.