SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-01-16, 06:42 PM   #341
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: TPS Adjustment Step-by-Step Pictorial Guide

remember! on single spark engines you need to adjust the tick over while doing the adjustment to keep it at around 1300rpm. on twin spark you just adjust and the auto idle sorts itself out.

you wont feel the benefit of the TPS adjustment in dry or normal riding but you will feel the difference when doing slow manoeuvres and slight throttle control in wet/slippy conditions.

the secret is in the name 'Throttle Position Sensor', the closer you can get the adjustment to the on/off throttle position the better and smoother the engine behaves.

my reckoning as to why it works is that there are two maps in the ECU, one is for idle/partial throttle and the other is for medium/full throttle position which are dependant on the angle of the TPS. the problem is that the partial and medium throttle position is around the slow speed manoeuvre rev range so you are always going between the two maps. moving the angle of the TPS lower tells the ECU that you are using the med/full map with less throttle movement.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-16, 07:14 PM   #342
DomP

That's ok Bibio, mine is a twin spark. I got it very close to the line moving to the upper level as the revs lifted above idle. It's such a simple task would it pay to re-check a few hundred miles later and then a few times a year?

Are you making your gizmos again?
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-16, 07:17 PM   #343
AlexAdams

I've heard the SV has a very basic injection system but I can't any information about it. For example the ECU in my '88 325i has just three maps selected by the TPS, (idle / off idle / WOT > 80% throttle open) then relies on air flow (MAP sensor on the SV) for fuel & timing during the off idle map. Ironically the switchable auto ECU for the E30 had a very fine TPS which was attached to the bottom of the engine ECU TPS. So fine it fact that it is preferred for accurate mapping over TPS's from vehicles more than 20 years newer, so it's not like it wasn't possible!!!!

Essentially (in a production vehicle made down to a price) increased ECU complexity is only required to achieve emission standards and as the emission requirements of bikes were lower during the bulk of the SV's production so a complex ECU was not required. I'd be very surprised to find a 3d map in there!!!

Apologies I digress.
Old 24-01-16, 12:09 AM   #344
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomP View Post

Are you making your gizmos again?
not at the moment. i have farrrr toooo much going on.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-16, 08:33 AM   #345
DomP

That's ok, at the moment I've spent far too much��
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-16, 01:41 PM   #346
damienga15de

So I adjusted my tps yesterday. It was set at 4700 rpm I got it down to about 1500, but the tps is turned more clockwise than it was. All was fine running very smooth but then I seemed to lose a cylinder , haven't had time to go back at it but I'm guessing I need to balance the throttle bodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28-01-16, 10:55 PM   #347
Rich Clarke

Admin: This ought to be a sticky thread!
Rich
Old 30-01-16, 05:05 PM   #348
crazy_sailo5878

Did mine the other day. It took 10 minutes and has made riding at slow speed (round mini roundabouts etc) so much easier. Its currently set to 1500 rpm but I kinda miss the engine braking.

So I have a couple of questions - Is this mod just to hide a lack of skill at slow speed (been riding for a massive 4 months!!) and has anyone set theirs slightly higher as a compromise between low speed control and engine braking or was the Suzuki original setting the designed compromise?
Old 30-01-16, 07:38 PM   #349
damienga15de

My bikes much smoother now I finally got it out, firing on both cylinders again. Not as much engine braking but it's much easier to ride at low speeds. New chain and sprockets Monday should see it right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-16, 12:05 PM   #350
vysie

Will be doing this on my 07 plate over next few days as iv noticed its jerky at low revs