SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-11-08, 06:50 PM   #1
Grinch

Default After swapping the loom out.

It now fails to start, now when I say fails, it started once. I did a test to see after I put the loom in and before I got her clothes back on to see if the bike would start, and she happily did. But now it seems that I have got her with all her body-work back on the bike will not start.

I popped the tank back up and checked over a few of the connections to ensure that nothing had been knocked off and it seems fine. Before it got way to dark I managed to get the rear spark plug out, and it seems that I have no spark, so that explains the fact that the turn over of the starter being fine but nothing else. I just can't seem to think what else on the circuit could cause the spark plugs to not work, as I have everything, lights, dash, even my heated grips.

The only other thing that I can think of is when I was cleaning up the wiring and removing the 'alarm' remains I left a little something in, the loom a number of broken connections I had to clean up. I thought it was to small to be a immobilizer as it was not much bigger then my little finger nail, but inline to the fuse. So it could be one but I thought it was some sort of noise/charge suppressor. So would it allow me to start the bike once and then cut it all the second time?
I'll have to pull it out when I get some more light but it means I'm stuffed to get to work now.

Last edited by Grinch; 16-11-08 at 07:00 PM.
Old 16-11-08, 08:17 PM   #2
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Default Re: Afterswapping the loom out.

ahh, loom replacement

I did one yesterday on a TL, loom came out in about 10-15 mins and a new one took about 20mins. Worked first time and sorted out all the probs the bike had

That did not help did it.

check that the wires from the coils are good back to the ignition unit, start from there.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-08, 08:25 PM   #3
thefallenangel

no spark on rear and if it won't start then there's no spark on the front one too i guess?

If so then it's spare bits time or check for a voltage into and out of the coil and so forth up to the battery.
Old 16-11-08, 08:36 PM   #4
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallenangel View Post
no spark on rear and if it won't start then there's no spark on the front one too i guess?

If so then it's spare bits time or check for a voltage into and out of the coil and so forth up to the battery.
reason i said check wires back to the ignition unit, is that most alarms cut the common wire from the coils to the ignition unit, so good to check that first
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Old 16-11-08, 08:41 PM   #5
thefallenangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM View Post
reason i said check wires back to the ignition unit, is that most alarms cut the common wire from the coils to the ignition unit, so good to check that first

Thank you, i have never had a bike alarm so wouldn't know. I'm use to working on simple bikes like CG, KR1s nothing too complex.
Old 16-11-08, 08:44 PM   #6
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Thank you, i have never had a bike alarm so wouldn't know. I'm use to working on simple bikes like CG, KR1s nothing too complex.
im sure the grinch will sort it all out

Ahh bikes that are not worth as much as an alarm that insurance companies want.

Most datatool alarms cut the common spark wire and starter relay button (on carbed bikes), on FI the most common thing is to cut the fuel pump and starter wires but somtimes people cut the coils too. All depends on how many relays the alarm has.

Old 16-11-08, 08:46 PM   #7
thefallenangel

Grinch has a carb'd bike iirc. So could well be or something has just given up the go with the loom too.
Old 16-11-08, 08:47 PM   #8
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Grinch has a carb'd bike iirc. So could well be or something has just given up the go with the loom too.
Possably, the common factor would be the ignition unit, the SV will start will one spark. But i think it will be dodgy wiring. Hees got another SV so he can do swaps to confirm that.

Old 16-11-08, 09:21 PM   #9
Grinch

It is bizzaire that I got it all to start once with not problems, first I thought it was the fact that I had started the bike with no tank on and drained the carbs. But as I managed to flatten the battery and the dead rear coil made me wonder about other things. Though the new loom did seem to fix all my electrical gremlins, but created a new one. It would be some much easier if I had a garage. Well will have to leave it till later in the week now but I have managed to get a Aprillia to ride in the mean time.

I did also notice that this loom didn't have a 2 pence sized loop to yellow wires on it, someone seemed to have removed it. This made my rad fan come on constant till I added it back in, all rather odd.

Last edited by Grinch; 16-11-08 at 09:23 PM.
Old 17-11-08, 09:16 AM   #10
Grinch

Checked the wiring diagram and that mentioned loop is the sensor for the carb heaters.