SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-11-10, 01:25 PM   #11
husky03
Mega Poster

Default Re: Irish mess

your bang on BB- i can remember everynight at about half nine , ten o'clock the skyline in the clydevalley used to be lit up in an orange glow due to the Ravenscraig steelworks opening up the furnace type thing-what happened-just as you said , cheap imported steel resulted in the place being shut down and thousands out of work-not only the steelworkers but all the wee shops and businesses that relied on the tradesmen - still there's houses and a regeneration programme on the go-its only taken the best part of 15-20 years-i think there's a major recession to come that will make the last one seem like a blip on the radar.
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-10, 03:14 PM   #12
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
I presume it will also protect British business, in that if the Irish economy collapses entirely, Anglo-Irish trade will be hit. As I understand it, Ireland is our biggest trade partner - so the loan helps UK plc.
I don't know the figures on it but have not quite a few British businesses moved out to Ireland because of their lower taxes?

So in actual fact is that trade mostly going the other way?
Old 22-11-10, 03:45 PM   #13
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky03 View Post
i think there's a major recession to come that will make the last one seem like a blip on the radar.
I agree, the imaginary money can't just keep flowing.

There will be bigger recessions before THE 'Big One'... Then countries will fail and WW3 will break out when countries start truely looking after themselves.

Scary times ahead potentially? Do you save for it, and come out of it stronger as you had some money behind you... or if you know your going to be screwed do you just make the most of what you can get now? After all if you save and THE 'Big One'/WW3 breaks out your money is worth nothing.
Old 22-11-10, 04:00 PM   #14
Specialone

It said on the news this morning, that every Rep irish consumer spends £3k + a year on british supplied goods.
Im not pleased about helping out others atm as were are so deep in the sh1te ourselves, but i can why the government are doing it, they are a big consumer of our exports, they tighten their belts and go into recession we suffer anyway, so prevention is better than the cure i think.

I mean, there is only so many potatoes you can eat / sell isnt there
Old 22-11-10, 04:10 PM   #15
husky03
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post

Scary times ahead potentially? Do you save for it, and come out of it stronger as you had some money behind you...
thats the big Q -I think its gonna be a case of you need to look after your own and if others fall by the wayside unfortunately so be it-i can see a big tax rise coming our way in the future with those who are lucky enough to have a job being hit hard and those who don't having to make do-the big companies like sky etc are gonna find lots of cancelled contracts which will mean more job loses and we go around again.
Mind the miners strikes where butchers were doing a miners pack of meat for about a quid-can see that type of thing happening again.
Old 22-11-10, 04:31 PM   #16
Bibio
Mega Poster

big question is, would the Irish help us if the tables were turned?

dont get me wrong i love the Irish and i for one am glad we are helping. but where does it stop?

we are going the same way. the uk pound is far to strong our house prices are non reflective to the average wage which in turn pushed wages even higher which makes any goods we do produce far to expensive to be competitive on the open market which in turn is causing businesses to up roots and seek cheaper staff/tax.

britain is fecked plain and simple. the government are pushing the price up on duty/tax to try and claw its way out of a major recession but when the prices get to high the public will stop buying which will result in devaluation of the pound and negative equity on property.

credit crunch.. feck off it was just an excuse to push interest rates up on loans/cards as the banks were not making it on mortgages. whats going to happen when the BOE does stick mortgage rates up?

my view. but as said before i'm stupid and know nothing about nowt.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-10, 04:40 PM   #17
husky03
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
but as said before i'm stupid and know nothing about nowt.
Your then perfect material to run as an MP mate-couldn't do any worse could ya?
Old 22-11-10, 04:49 PM   #18
Bibio
Mega Poster

yes, most definitely. i would have every one in their house by 9pm have all their money transferred into the state bank and shoot granny's on sight and publicly flog anyone who makes trouble. ban booze, fags, fun and make it mandatory for each and every person to have an enema once a week. any more suggestion are more than welcome.

so who's going to vote for me in the next election?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-10, 04:58 PM   #19
eviltwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I don't know the figures on it but have not quite a few British businesses moved out to Ireland because of their lower taxes?

So in actual fact is that trade mostly going the other way?
Some multinationals have a base there eg HP & Intel, due to a corporation tax that's low for Europe (if Ireland raises this, it can wave these companies off to China and India).

In terms of what Britain exports to Ireland, news reports today mentioned £3,607 per person, per year in Ireland as the figure spent on British goods
Old 22-11-10, 05:34 PM   #20
davepreston

remeber people roi was nearly bankrupt about 10 years ago but then the world went spending mad and it saved their bacon, problem was they then thought life was gravy and didnt pay off there debts from the first time,
basicly what britian will get in return for lending the republic cash will outweigh what it would lose, so yea we should do it abite im begrudgeing about it

as for the q would ni go under too, simply no , tbh ni would be in great times for a few years as prises down south would drop like a brick and everyone would nip over the boarder to get the cheap stuff, but this wouldnt overly effect the ni ecomony as its a export driven one (to far east and china) boats industrial goods etc