SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: Yes I'd llike to do the California Superbike School on:
Sat 26th March 0 0%
Sun 27th March 3 27.27%
Mon 11th April 1 9.09%
Tue 12th April 0 0%
Can't make those dates but I'd love to do it 7 63.64%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-04, 11:29 AM   #1
Jelster

Default California Superbike School

I've decided to do the CSS course, especially after my off a few weeks back when I know I could have taken the roundabout quicker and safer with more experience.

CSS is different to most schools as you use your bike, which after doing the Suzuki Perormance School at Mallory I would prefer. I want to know what I can do on MY bike, not some track prepared race rep.

It ain't cheap, as it's £319. But you do get a whole day and almost as much track time as a normal track day. Would any of you be interested in getting together for a group booking and we could probably get some discount.

The dates I prefer are as follows:

Sat 26th March
Sun 27th March
Monday 11th April
Tuesday 12 April

The CSS have a modular format of 4 levels, you must complete each level before moving onto the next. For those of you who want to (and can afford it!) you can do a 2 day back to back couse taking in levels 1 & 2.

Level 1 includes:

Level I details the six most common and most obvious cornering errors:

1. Turn entry speeds. Too high or too low.
2. Throttle control errors. Too much, not enough or inconsistent.
3. The turn is started at the wrong place. Too early or too late.
4. Steering errors and corrections. Leaning into the turn too quickly or too slowly.
5. Inappropriate rider input. Too much or too little for the situation.
6. Inconsistent lines. Too wide or too tight to the inside.

Anyone with a trained eye can spot these errors. We not only have the trained eyes but the exact, correct remedy for each error. That is what Level 1 is all about. We even supply the reasons why mastering each of them is crucial and what rewards to expect for getting it right. Imagine for a moment that you have practised and mastered each of these 6 points. What would your own riding be like if you had?

1. Perfect turn entry speed. Just the way you like it every time.
2. Flawless throttle control. The bike feels stable through every corner.
3. Precision turn entry. A turn-in point that really handles the corner.
4. No nervous steering corrections. Just one clean sweep through every turn.
5. Complete relaxation. In harmony with the bike under all conditions.
6. Lazer cut lines. Consistent ones like a pro can do.

Is this possible? We'd be lying if we said it was easy or that we could coach you to perfection on any one of these points in one day. But, after Level I, you will know why it went wrong and have a way to correct it! Each technical point is fully explained and has an on-track training drill.

I'll need to book something by New Year, so let me know.

Moderators, can you sticky this please if the response is good...
Old 11-12-04, 11:51 AM   #2
cosmiccharlie

Been thinking about some advanced training as this year (my 1st on 2wheels) i dont seemed to have gained much experience and confidence around corners / roundabouts etc

Would like try one where bikes are included first just incase of any offs etc, but would seriously like to try it one day, they move on and use my own bike

I'll start saving my pennies up for when the day comes
Old 11-12-04, 12:02 PM   #3
Flamin_Squirrel

Sounds good... but as you say, it's not cheap, and I need to save for a set of leathers before I can get on the track

Will know nearer the time.
Old 11-12-04, 01:04 PM   #4
Sudoxe

If my bike is back on the road (and i get some leathers)

Dan
Old 11-12-04, 01:25 PM   #5
pete m

Flamin squirrel (and anyone else), ive got a set of leathers you can have - Frank Thomas, size 40/50 , bit tight on me now (circumference, not length )have a look when you want , will take £100...im in brixton before you ask
Old 11-12-04, 02:03 PM   #6
Mr Toad

I'm interested
not sure about dates, will check
where abouts are they
Old 12-12-04, 11:28 AM   #7
Jelster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad
I'm interested
not sure about dates, will check
where abouts are they
Based at Rockingham, Northants.
Old 12-12-04, 05:33 PM   #8
wheelnut

Certainly worthwhile, I did a level 1 last year and may do another of the same level before going onto level 2.

You will learn something, they will teach you lots and the best thing is that it is done at a pace to suit everyone. They do not tolerate trackday heroes and anyone doing something silly will be thrown out.

The course is all about bike control and confidence, not speed, although you will be riding faster at the end of the day then you do now!

My Brother is going out to Laguna Seca with them next year, He has done all 4 levels twice.
Old 13-12-04, 12:24 AM   #9
gabby

Default CCS in UK

I didnt know the CCS held days in the UK. My husband, Brad, and I have done levels 1, 2, & 3 in the US. Level 1 at Watkins Glen in NY and Levels 2/3 at VIR in Virginina on the North Course and found them all to be excellent. Level 2 feels alot like a repeat of Level 1, but Level 3 is REALLY fun. It's all about body position on the bike. Great day. Great fun. You get out of it what you put into it. Every instructor, even Keith Code, is available all day for you to ask questions or to follow you and comment on how you can improve. We would almost certianly be interested in joining the fun. Of course, we still need to sort out our bike situation and actually get to the UK.... Gabby
Old 13-12-04, 07:49 AM   #10
wheelnut

Andy Ibbott is the director of the California Suberbike School here in the UK. The UK School actually runs the European schools, with places in Serres, Greece, Almeria, Spain and oop North in Norway!

Andy Ibbott was trained by Kieth Code and all the instructors are brilliant at finding fault with your riding without being nasty or clever.

If you give them what they are looking for, then they will take you round even faster.

You can even get Andy to get his hands dirty, and put on some leathers :P