SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-12-09, 05:30 PM   #1
stuballs

Default HID conversion

Hi guys

Tried searching the above as I know it's been discussed a few times but the keyword search doesn't allow 3 letter words so trying to find info on "HID" is a bit difficult!

I want to do this conversion on my curvy S. HIDS 4 U seem to be the most popular choice. two H4 bulbs. The only problem is the website doesn't give much info on fitting etc. I'm quite handy with electrics so if it involves running relays from the existing switches that's not a problem. It would just be nice to know what I'm getting into!

Also, are they any good? I do a lot of riding on unlit lanes where deer in the road is not unheard of so it's essential to see as far and as clearly as possible.

One more thing: Should i go for the Plus (35W) or Max (55W)?

Thanks

Stu
Old 27-12-09, 05:35 PM   #2
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Default Re: HID conversion

35W is significantly brighter than the best halogen bulbs, on unlit roads they are fantastic, high beam is better, low beams tends to make the foreground brighter leaving the distance harder to see. I've had kits that do and kits that don't require relays, try without and if it pops the fuse then fit a relay.

ETA: No thread on HIDs would be complete without a bit of pic whoring...

(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...

Last edited by the_lone_wolf; 27-12-09 at 05:37 PM.
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-09, 05:41 PM   #3
veefer

I fitted a kit to the viffer in october, ther'e a sinch to fit, only hard part is finding somewhere for the ballasts to live.

Apart from that they are a massive improvement even to the viffers standard twin headlights.

Fitting is easy, everything plugs into the existing headlight plug, you only have to wire a new supply from the battery, just remember to switch them off before swithching the bike off as the will soon drain the battery when you next turn your ignition on, the running current is low but initial start takes quite a good bit of power.

Other than that it's well worth while if you ride alot in the dark.
Old 27-12-09, 06:24 PM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

I've got one to fit to the Superduke, but in my case it's more about finding space than anything else, although to be honest the standard headlight is good enough so I might not bother.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-09, 12:33 AM   #5
BPhlip

hids 4 u kits are easy to fit, if u can change the headlight bulb, u can fit the kit. No wiring to the battery or relays required, just bulbs, ballasts and all necessary wiring. Recommended upgrade to any vehicle!
Old 28-12-09, 10:37 AM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

If you want to search forum properly just google it

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=HID+lights+site%3Aforums.sv650.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
35W is significantly brighter than the best halogen bulbs, on unlit roads they are fantastic, high beam is better, low beams tends to make the foreground brighter leaving the distance harder to see. I've had kits that do and kits that don't require relays, try without and if it pops the fuse then fit a relay.

ETA: No thread on HIDs would be complete without a bit of pic whoring...
I would fit relay to be safe.
Old 28-12-09, 04:19 PM   #7
boot

Also know, that HID lights are only legal on vehicles with self-leveling suspension, which means your bike not be road legal and should not pass an MOT.
Old 28-12-09, 04:52 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Self levelling suspension Or self levelling lights.
It was self levelling lights first, then they added some term when they were fitted to car with self-levelling suspension because the effect was the same.

But that means nowt, just go to an MOT place where they are understanding and it be right.
Old 28-12-09, 08:51 PM   #9
BPhlip

Aftermarket kits are only illegal because you are changing the lighting technology from halogen to gas discharge. Hence your vehicle will not have self-levelling lights or washer systems.

They will pass an MOT absolutely fine because the beam pattern is the same (as long as you get the anti-glare bulbs with reflector headlights) and the colour of the light is predominantly white.

Mine passed its MOT with a Peugeot dealer so if any garage were to fail it for HIDs it would be a dealer.
Old 29-12-09, 01:04 PM   #10
boot

I said should fail, not would fail chaps.

Merely trying to point out to the OP, in case he's not aware.