SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-02-10, 10:31 AM   #11
airbornesnake

Default Re: First Bike, Seems like a wrong choice...Any advice please?

To clarify a few points raised, I haven't done my full test yet...I will be doing the first part of my test(the Module 1) on a 125cc bike this Tuesday. Regarding the legality of riding the bike, I wanted to have a feel of the machine so I got a mate to take it to a local car park, where I rode around for a bit. I am yet to ride it properly on the road; rest assured that will be after I've got my full license and restricted it to 33bhp.Thanks
Old 14-02-10, 10:35 AM   #12
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

no worries mate if you've not done any training on a bigger bike like a 500/have only ever ridden a 125 then it will feel quite monstrous I'd imagine.

I did my cbt, then 2 years later booked 18 hours of lessons - the honda cb500's felt like rockets for the first 2 lessons, then I got used to the handling and power etc. I think if I had tested a 650 round a carpark before ever having had any proper big bike training then I'd prolly be feeling the exact same way as you.

It's kind of good that you're worried about the power 'cos it shows you've got a bit of respect for it (unlike my mate who says he's gonna pass his test and buy an R1 LOL)..

Like everyone else has said, take your time, listen to the instructor and you'll be bulletproof - most of all, enjoy it

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-10, 10:35 AM   #13
jamesterror

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornesnake View Post
Is this a common phenomenon for newbie bikers? Will I get used to it after a while? Will restricting this bike tame the 'tiger'? Or should I part exchange or sell it for a 125cc bike?Any general advice welcome. Many thanks
Your answer is..... I did it, and love it - never rode before my CBT, the 125 I rode was like a snail, getting on the SV was a change, but for the better!

Restriction..... well I've not rode mine de-restricted but find it fairly forgiving really.

Don't get a 125, you'll regret it.
jamesterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-10, 10:52 AM   #14
jacksuzukisv650

if you find the sv physically to big why not go for a kawasaki zxr 400 there designed for small people lol
my sv is restricted ive toured france and england wiked bike ...
Old 14-02-10, 11:35 AM   #15
metalhead19

I did the same. No riding before the CBT, had a 125 that topped at mayb 50 if was lucky, then took my test n got an SV (restricted) 2 months later. Yeah the power increase you have to get used to, but when you first start riding it its about being diligent with the throttle, learning how to use it i guess
Old 14-02-10, 11:36 AM   #16
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the 6th View Post
I think if I had tested a 650 round a carpark before ever having had any proper big bike training then I'd prolly be feeling the exact same way as you.

When I decided I wanted to learn to ride a bike, I got my mate to take me round the corner to a big open empty car park. Bearing in mind I had never even sat on a bike back then......and I had my very first taster on a 1340 Harley It was like riding a cow(well actually I still think that)
Learning clutch control and riding in a straight line on that was errrrrrr interesting, but not scary

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-10, 11:52 AM   #17
pce13

i went from a 125cc to my sv650s and for me it was a bit intimidating getting use to the throttle but after that its fine, biggest thing next is the weight difference and slow maneuvering but again its just practice to get use to it.
Its a more powerful bike but you dont have to use the power but its nice to have it to get out of a situation...

ride sensibly and take your time
Old 14-02-10, 12:53 PM   #18
SuzukiNess

dont panic you'll get use to it... quicker than you think.. i went from a 125 Varadero to the SV. first ride on the SV was 30 miles home... very cautious in the beginning but loved it by the time i got home...

good choice in bike imho to start off on after the 125
Old 14-02-10, 12:55 PM   #19
Bunks

My advice for what it's worth is to stick with it.

My bike was in for a service a while ago and I needed to get home. They lent me one of the 125 training bikes to get back on. It was terrible. It wanted to follow every imperfection in the road, would only do 55 mph, the brakes where ****.

Once you get used to the power of the SV, I think you'll actually find it easier to ride than a small 125.
Old 14-02-10, 12:57 PM   #20
Milky Bar Kid

I spent a lot of time in a carpark along the road from me. I had my licence, restricted, but I still went into the car park and did a lot of slow speed control stuff, got me used to the weight of the bike and also the feel of the "snatchyness" of the V-Twin. I just did loops, U-turns, figure of eights, until I had built up my confidence to give it a go on the road.