SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-06-17, 08:29 PM   #1
Blapper

Default Thinking of giving up...

Rant on:

I have been out on t' bike today and am really thinking of giving up riding forever. The road surfaces are lethal - there's barely a corner I can go round without worrying if I'm going to make it through and there are massive potholes every few hundred yards which really make my forks clunk. It really is that bad. Add a handfull of car driving tossers to suck the last bit of joy out of riding. Thankfully my nicely serviced brakes did the business. Almost a stoppy.

Grrr!

Rant off. Sorry.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-17, 09:10 PM   #2
Dave-the-rave

Default Re: Thinking of giving up...

I feel ya mate, it's pretty bad. Try doing what a lot of people are doing...stick your fingers in your ears, sing tra la la la laaa, and hope Theresa May will fix everything including the roads.
Old 03-06-17, 10:37 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

sounds like you need a holiday to scotland m8. its biking heaven up here. a population of around 6million and most of them stay in the central belt between glasgow and edinburgh. pretty much well maintained roads and go past inverness and they are empty. even the borders roads are quiet.

if you can suffer the trudge up through england i can guarantee you will love it.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-17, 11:21 PM   #4
Northern Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
sounds like you need a holiday to scotland m8. its biking heaven up here. a population of around 6million and most of them stay in the central belt between glasgow and edinburgh. pretty much well maintained roads and go past inverness and they are empty. even the borders roads are quiet.

if you can suffer the trudge up through england i can guarantee you will love it.
Agreed. Have a day out somewhere, how about Beachy Head? Not far from you and some lovely roads and views I hear.
Old 04-06-17, 07:53 AM   #5
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Book a track day.
Old 04-06-17, 08:26 AM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post

I have driven a car in Scotland quite a few times (but never been there on a motorbike) and you are right the roads are lovely, as is the scenery and the people, and the food (especially seafood) - its just the wee biters that put me off in summer on west side. Once outside the cities Scotland is a bikers paradise, the antidote to English road conditions.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 04-06-17 at 09:50 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 11:29 AM   #7
Dave-the-rave

Some good suggestions. Much better than keeping the roads in good order.
Old 04-06-17, 12:02 PM   #8
Chris_SVS

Definitely do Scotland. I was over quite a lot the last time I owned a bike ('09/'10/'11) and it's hard to beat, NI has some fantastic roads too and it's only a £40 ferry away
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 06:40 PM   #9
Blapper

Yeah, I 'did' Scotland for a week in early May - blistering sunny days - I couldn't believe my luck and it was a week or two before the midges ramped up! I love the highlands, but blimey that's a long way to go to get a decent ride!

France has even better roads but it's full of Frenchies... LOL!
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 07:15 PM   #10
Red Herring
Mega Poster

If you're looking to ride a bike on quiet smooth roads then the South East probably isn't the best place to try and do so. As you say a lot of the roads down here are starting to show the consequences of the heavy traffic they carry and the lack of investment in them, and that same weight of traffic is also leading to a general dumbing down amongst motorists who just sit in a procession and generally switch off to anything beyond the car at the end of their bonnet.

Personally I regard these "hazards" as just part of the challenge of motorcycling and I don't have the slightest problem riding around potholes, gravel, and frustrated idiots. If you're not prepared to deal with these you either need to move to Spain of restrict yourself to track days, and even then you still come across the odd plonker.......
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote