SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-07-07, 08:57 AM   #1
John 675

Exclamation The Flood!

No im not talking about an extensive xbox session on Halo, im talking about the mass of water that seems to be consuming the land we live in . . . it is scary
please post your thoughts bellow, and ideas on saving your bike if the worst happens? or if you have to ride through stupid amounts of water?
take a look : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6911226.stm
Old 23-07-07, 09:01 AM   #2
Baph

Default Re: The Flood!

Saving the bike? It's insured. If bike insurance classes a flood as an act of god (aka get out clause), then home contents would cover it when it's in the garage.

I'm more bothered about water getting into the house. Bikes can be bought pretty cheaply, but we've already had water coming in the front door (and I live 31m above sea level on a hill!!).

If you really want to be safe, buy (or build) a mahooosive boat. Then pay Deed Poll £60 to change your name, and grow a beard. Sorted.
Old 23-07-07, 09:09 AM   #3
plowsie

TBH you see all these families that are losing their homes and stuff. I moan when i'm cold in the night, some of these people are in tents for nights, caravans. And the fact that some of them will not be in their houses for months, possibly years. Not too sure about the bike, i mean i'm TPFT so i'm guessing nothing would be paid out. But then again I shouldnt think my house will flood, the drainage around here is pretty good AFAIK.

My thoughts do go out to the ones who i mentioned not living in their homes due to all the flooding.
Old 23-07-07, 09:28 AM   #4
timwilky
Mega Poster

Whilst I have great sympathy for all those affected by the recent floodings. I cannot believe the crass stupidity of those who moan. We have no insurance and lost everything. FFS that's why insurances exists.

However, in places the planners also have a lot to answer for. Allowing development in flood planes. Development replacing soak away with run off etc. You hear of 1 in 100 year events happening twice in 30 years etc. So they need to put in infrastructure for the 1 in a 1000 year predicted events.

Where I live, an area was flooded 3 times in about 15 years. 100 year old development had restricted the flow of a local river and when there was heavy rain it obviously had to go somewhere. So eventually the wiers were removed from the mill sites that were no longer there. This reduced the initial height of the river and by also managing the drainage with huge containment vessels they eventually sorted it out. It must have cost a fortune as it took 18 months to install the containment. However, 3 floods indicated to all, that they were looking at 1 in 5 year events and had to do something
Old 23-07-07, 10:10 AM   #5
kwak zzr

our government let 1000's of people into this country and they all need somewhere to live hence building on flood plains? we now have more people than houses in the uk, supply and demand it what pushing house prices up, this is why our young people cannot afford to buy there own homes. our government dont seem to mention this on there news interviews.
Old 23-07-07, 10:23 AM   #6
Warthog

I am on Severe Flood Alert in Oxford, my road is right next to the Thames. I have moved all my stuff upstairs (hassle) and been filling sand bags at PC-world to put around our doors and air vents. I personally thing we won't be flooded, as the Thames will burst its banks over Osney Island in the other direction which is lower, but I would kick myself if I lost everything after having a days warning! Now I just have to live like this for a few day, without the internet!! Still, I went to work now, there is nothing else to do, I am hardly going to change into my swimming gear and await the torrent.

Hope noone else is affected!
Old 23-07-07, 10:26 AM   #7
600+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
our government let 1000's of people into this country and they all need somewhere to live hence building on flood plains? we now have more people than houses in the uk, supply and demand it what pushing house prices up, this is why our young people cannot afford to buy there own homes. our government dont seem to mention this on there news interviews.
I would be very careful where you pass blame to! I am a foreigner leaving in this country paying the same taxes you do so I'd be very careful in how you word things cause you could be opening a whole new can of worms there!

according to me your problem is not the foreigners that you let come into the country! but your governments ignorance to planning for this type of things! could have avoided all these if you hadn't build on flood planes or by creating proper drainage
Old 23-07-07, 10:33 AM   #8
Baph

I'll throw another POV into the "building on flood plains" debate.

A while back, we were looking to buy a house. Found a beautiful one not far from where we currently lived. Didn't need a thing doing to it.

I made some enquiries, as I was concerned about the low level compared to the surrounding area.

Turns out the house (and the rest of the small estate) was built on an old boating lake, and was quite succeptable to flooding, despite having a lot of money thrown at flood defences. So we walked away from it.

The onus isn't only on the planners, but also the architects, the builders, and even the buyers. If you buy a house in an area that has even a chance of flooding (given modern stories about "global warming" and the sea's rising), and don't take out insurance, well, timwilky's post stands.
Old 23-07-07, 10:45 AM   #9
Gordon B

Agreed. We were looking at houses in the Selby area and my wife did lots of research into the flooding here in 2000.

We saw lots of houses with gravel gardens "its easier to maintain, thats why we gravelled it." Yeah right. We knew they had flooded, they knew it had flooded, but no-one wanted to mention it.....

We eventually chose somewhere which is nowhere near a river or the area which had flooded in 2000 and also our house is about 2 feet above the level of the road.

I also agree that not havng insurance is just downright silly. It will also be interesting how the insurance companies cope. They are always quick enough to take our money for years, but now they have to pay out large amounts they will no doubt go to the government cap-in-hand saying they can't afford it....
Old 23-07-07, 10:54 AM   #10
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
If you really want to be safe, buy (or build) a mahooosive boat. Then pay Deed Poll £60 to change your name, and grow a beard. Sorted.
Cant we just all jump aboard stingos pirate ship? Y'eeeaaaaaaaarrrrrghhhhh!!!

Matt