SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 27-08-18, 06:58 PM   #5501
yokohama

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

Shame you missed out on that one. Sounded like a really good price.

Johnny, thanks for the offer on the Kiev - might take you up on that at some point in the future as I wouldn't mind a play with one before I waste even more money. No time right now unfortunately - I'm on China countdown.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-18, 07:11 PM   #5502
Kenzie

How long until you go? We are looking at options to replace our boiler and tank set up with a combi boiler. Got to get the plumber back as the tank isolation tap is leaking now,so will ask them to quote while they are here.

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-18, 07:21 PM   #5503
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Depends how many bathrooms you have. If not many then it's fine, the only annoying thing is when you stop the hot water and restart it, the boiler won't fire for a short while to stop it cycling. That and when you start the hot tap the boiler takes time to fire up. Some combis have a small tank inside them to supply water quicker. If you have a lot of bathrooms then an unvented tank is the way to go, you get 3 bar (near mains) pressure and less pressure drop when you have several taps running. You can get solar hot water kits, I know nothing about them, but I'm pretty sure you need a tank to use them. With either a combi or unvented tank you get plenty of flow for a shower, with the old vented (low pressure) tanks they're rubbish, or you need an electric shower, which never seem to be all that.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-18, 07:43 PM   #5504
Kenzie

We only have the one bathroom and an electric mains shower (pretty weak) We had a combi boiler in the flat, but our hot water demands are low here. The main reason for wanting to upgrade is that the original boiler is very old, and I want to remove the risk of flooding from the loft tanks. We can gain a lot of space by having the hot water tank removed as well and the central heating will be better off as well.

Old 27-08-18, 08:24 PM   #5505
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I'd got for a combi then. Depending on the age and state of the heating pipework you could make it a sealed system or have it vented if it already is. We had to go with vented to start with as everything was old and badly done, it wouldn't have retained the increased pressure for long. It's all new now so it has been converted to sealed. New boiler is a good call, old ones can be efficient but they can't usually turn down far. Our old one could run at 75-100%, the new one at 25-100%. You could maybe tuck it away in the loft or somewhere as well, boilers are often put in the kitchen just because it's near the gas stove.
Old 27-08-18, 08:52 PM   #5506
Kenzie

I'm assuming ours is an old style vented system. It has an asbestos tank which we will get dealt with at some point, either have it removed or drained and sealed. Got the engineer coming Thursday to fix the leak and discuss options as well as the aerial company to sort out the jumble of wires. Its a long term investment, so might as well get it done now before we redecorate, saves pulling up any new flooring or messing up any new paint.

Old 27-08-18, 09:32 PM   #5507
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Asbestos, yoswers. Our council will take away asbestos boards (the tank will be the same type of thing, asbestos/cement) if it's double bagged and you book a collection, I guess they know it'll just be flytipped otherwise. Our house had wires all over it when we moved in, phone line extensions that didn't work, TV aerials to every room. We have satellite in one room now so just ripped it all off, router in the master socket and a cordless phone with a battery that lasts a week or more. Different times I guess!
Old 28-08-18, 05:21 AM   #5508
Kenzie

Its a cement/asbestos tank so the content is very low apparently, still don't like the idea of it though. I've also read that ingesting it "shouldn't" do you any harm according to WHO, but its a problem if you breathe it in. Because of where it is it may be better to leave it be, it behind a partition when they converted the loft, so moving it may be tricky.

Old 28-08-18, 08:00 AM   #5509
Red ones
Mega Poster

You could just decommission the tank and drain it and then leave in situ. Just don't go thinking you'll cut it up to get it out, or drill holes in it.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-18, 12:47 PM   #5510
Red ones
Mega Poster

You could just decommission the tank and drain it and then leave in situ. Just don't go thinking you'll cut it up to get it out, or drill holes in it.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote