SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 01-04-07, 07:02 PM   #1
thumper21

Talking Took a pillion for the first time

After having my full license since September I finaly plucked up the courage and took my friend on the back of my bike for the first time ever Picked her up at her place pottered about the area for a few minutes getting used to the extra weight, then hit the motorway on the way back to my place. So proud of myself, my friend said I did excellent for my first time (she has been on pillion ALOT!)

We got back to my place fully intact, no scary moments or anything

I was going to take her out the country roads today but kinda had a slight bad hangover after a few too many last night (was prob still over the limit by lunch time today)
Old 01-04-07, 07:20 PM   #2
wyrdness

Default Re: Took a pillion for the first time

It's a day for first time pillions. After owning my Speed Triple for two years, I finally persuaded Mrs Wyrdness to go on the back of it. I've taken pillions before, but not on that bike, and she's ridden pillion before, so neither of us were 'pillion virgins'. It's just that she thought that the pillion perch on the twipple was a bit too small even for her size 8 bum.
Old 01-04-07, 07:54 PM   #3
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper21 View Post
I was going to take her out the country roads today
Nice one. Go for your country run, you'll be fine. Just remember the extra weight at more importantly higher centre of gravity at slow speeds, traffic lights, filtering, etc, 'cos you'll forget if you've been on the move for a while.

They will get airbourne easier than you over bumps, and no sudden jumping on the throttle to shoot past things, get thru an orange light, etc, and dropping them off the back. Front wheel will lift easier when hard on the power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper21 View Post
she has been on pillion ALOT!
Now find a mate whos never straddled a bike. Especially if they're a bit, well, gangly, mal-coordinated. Thats a whole different ball game!!
Old 01-04-07, 10:00 PM   #4
suicidesam

No stopping you now

Makes a big difference when you take someone on the bike that knows how to be a pillion, helluva lot easier when you don't have to tell them what to do... unlike when i took my son out for the first time
Old 01-04-07, 10:45 PM   #5
Duck-man

HAHA!!

I also took a friend on the back of my bike for the first time

Was abit nervous at first and getting used to the weight was a bit strange at first.

I was a bit worried i wouldnt be able to hold the bike up right being short legged an all! () but when she got on the bike squatted lower on the suspension (she aint THAT heavy!) and the new lower seat sorted!!

Went to North Berwick for a spin and fish and chips!! Magic!

cheers!!

View before going home!
Old 02-04-07, 12:44 AM   #6
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrdness View Post
It's a day for first time pillions. After owning my Speed Triple for two years, I finally persuaded Mrs Wyrdness to go on the back of it. I've taken pillions before, but not on that bike, and she's ridden pillion before, so neither of us were 'pillion virgins'. It's just that she thought that the pillion perch on the twipple was a bit too small even for her size 8 bum.
Brave lady, that IS a mighty small seat indeed
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-07, 07:49 AM   #7
Beaniebike

I'm waaaaaay to scared to take a pillion. Couldn't take a pillion even if I wanted to mind. No pillion pegs cos of the high level cans, and single seat cowl!
Old 02-04-07, 07:57 AM   #8
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Ahh pillions are fine, had Vixis on mine within 3 weeks of getting my license, but again she was an experienced pillion so was good for me.

What WAS fun, was GOING pillion for the 1st time, on the back of my own bike, with Sid Squid piloting, down through Camden, then down to Covent Garden.

Think I was getting the hang of by the end - certainly I had stopped screaming...........

:P

David
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-07, 05:53 PM   #9
thumper21

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Nice one. Go for your country run, you'll be fine. Just remember the extra weight at more importantly higher centre of gravity at slow speeds, traffic lights, filtering, etc, 'cos you'll forget if you've been on the move for a while.

Now find a mate whos never straddled a bike. Especially if they're a bit, well, gangly, mal-coordinated. Thats a whole different ball game!!

I did have a bit of wobble but nothing that I couldnt control and it was about 30secs after I pulled away at first so it was to be expected. As for filtering, am a bit of wimp when it comes to that very nervous and tend not to filter at all, until Saturday there the traffic in Glasgow city center was to put it mildley so plucked up the courage and off I went filtering, and done it well! (Last time I filtered was last summer my mates were infront and behind me so I was well protected, but it was a 3/4 mile tale back at loch lommond!)

So 2 achievements on Saturday first time filterting on my own and first time taking a pillion
Old 02-04-07, 06:18 PM   #10
Red ones
Mega Poster

I realised the other day - i have never been pillion - too frightened - but I have taken loads!!
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote